Puppy supplies!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Alternatively titles: favorite dog supplies and where you bought it!

I am going to start purchasing little things here and there for Future Puppy, so I can keep my expenses spread out versus all at once. I have quite a lot of second hand things, and I'm having to bite my lip and get over it in regards to using my "spares" as "main things" (for example, mismatched dishes instead of a non-slid matching set). But I find it incredibly stupid to buy new, shiney things when what I have will work just fine.

But, there are a few things I need. Toys, a medium sized crate (I have a GIANT one that Gracie and Cooper currently use, so I figured I'd buy a smaller one that Puppy can have as a pup, then swap them out as he gets bigger), a long line, and most importantly, a new leather leash (I really want one "working dog" style with the clips and extra D rings).

So. What are your favorite brands/items, and where did you get them/find the best price? Toys, treats, training supplies, leashes, collars, the list goes on.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Now this is a topic near and dear to my heart. :D

As for toys, I like kong, nylabone, premier/busy buddy, Chuckit, JW Pet (love them), pretty much all the main stream stuff. Other stuff too, as long as it's got lots of good reviews. I haven't bought a crate because I have a hand-me-down one from Wesley's puppyhood that'll last a good long while.

I do most of my shopping at entirelypets, drs. foster and smith, and petmountain. If you buy enough their prices are amazing, only problem is it can take a lot to get to free shipping. If not, Amazon was the 2nd best after those sites because of free shipping, and Petco/Petsmart are outrageous for toys. I don't buy anything unless it's waaay on sale.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I did most of my shopping from dog.com and amazon!

Favorite items/most used items

- Lupine leash. They are cheap and have lifetime guarantees! They replace them even if chewed, plus I love the handle
AMAZON!

- Bold lead designs superlead! I LOVE IT!
http://boldleaddesigns.com/

- Up country designs harness. It's step in and I don't usually like the style but I LOVE THIS. Gives him full range of motion and great for practicing recalls, and he looks so great in it. his is union jack design
Baxerboo

- West paw toys. Another perfect brand of toys and they replace if wrecked. They float, they bounce, they last.
Amazon

-

Toller_08

My must haves for puppies are:

Food stuff-able toys (Squirrel Dude, Kong)
Squishy rubber toys (Orbee)
Durable rubber toys to play with or chew (West Paw's Hurley and Bumi are my favourites)
Stainless Steel food dish
Assortment of cute stuffies and tug toys
A few supposedly non-abrasive tennis balls & Chuck-It balls
Soft frisbee/disc
Soft Nylon leash (her breeder gave me one that I love from Canine Equipment and I bought another from Mes Amis)
Harness (because I don't have time to properly train a loose leash walk on my way to/from work so a harness she can't pull in is good for those times, plus I also like a harness I can attach a long line to)
Adjustable collar
Assortment of meat that I cooked, cut up and froze to use as training treats. Works much better than actual training treats you can buy.

No specific brands or anything that I can really recommend other than the ones I mentioned. I just buy what's cute and on sale as far as toys and stuff go.

When she's older I'll probably get a nice leather leash for her as that's normally what I use, but I've gotta say, I quite like having the couple of soft nylon-like leashes I do have for her right now as a puppy. I don't mind letting her drag them and getting them all dirty, and they don't rip my hands up if she does decide to pull or something.

Tugs

Woolie Dog Tugs

I have two of these tugs and I really like them. Traveler who isn't a huge tugger got way into them right away and Didgie LOVES them. I think they feel good to tug on, they hold up to Didgie and are easy to bring lots of places.

Udder Tugs

Love these! I don't normally buy them online, rather I get them at shows (The Border Collie rescue always seems to have them) and the dogs love them.

Kong Wubba

I adore these. And with a Chessie you just have to have one. I get the normal one, not the water one because it holds up better and can still be used in water. But it's a great mix between throwing toy and tugging toy. LOVE.

I get them at shows too, or petsmart.

Leashes/Collars/Harnesses

I'm not a huge leash user. I love them, have a million of them but not really a favorite. I do love the Eurolead that you mentioned but I got my two from a show from a SAR team.

For Harnesses I am a new user of them and just picked mine up at petsmart. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I will say I have been impressed by my Kong Harness

I like the plate in the front.

I also LOVE the tug lead Sara made for Traveler. It's so nice having a leash they could tug on and it being a slip lead. I use it all the time!

Foods

I don't know what you plan on feeding but no matter what I liked having a high quality kibble that was tiny enough to be used for training.

Fromm Salmon or Surf and Turf

That's my favorite, it's smelly, it's small, I trust the company and the dogs love it.

I would also look into some marrow bones. I like having them on hand to keep annoying puppies occupied.

But, overall honestly I would wait for the majority of things until you have your puppy. A lot of things seems great until they are living with you and decide they like nothing you got them :rofl1:

Also: PUPPY!

MicksMom

...But, there are a few things I need. Toys, a medium sized crate (I have a GIANT one that Gracie and Cooper currently use, so I figured I'd buy a smaller one that Puppy can have as a pup, then swap them out as he gets bigger), a long line, and most importantly, a new leather leash (I really want one "working dog" style with the clips and extra D rings)...
Long line- you can make one from clothesline and a snap. I don't remember where I got it, but years ago I bought a this in 15 ft.

http://www.jefferspet.com/cotton-web-training-lead/camid/liv/cp/879/

It's available in 6- 50 ft lengths, but, speaking from experience, I woudn't go with anything longer than 15 if you're using it as a drag line (I had a 25 ft one made from boat rope and almost broke my ankle a couple of times when it wrapped around me).

This is the Service/Working dog lead I have. I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it! It was nice and soft from the day it came, and has only gotten softer with use.

http://www.jjdog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jj&Category_Code=3CATConvertibleServiceDogLeashCONSDL

If you want a longer one, J&J started carrying a 6 1/2 ft one a couple of years ago.

http://www.jjdog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jj&Category_Code=3CATExtendedLengthServiceLead

I had a Mid West Ultimate (Ultima ?) crate that Caleb came home in and used until he was about 6 months old. It has 3 doors and a divider panel. Unfortunately, I don't think they make the one with 3 doors anymore- I've only seen it them 2 doors now. One of my vet's clients brought it in and told them to give it to someone who can use it because they didn't use it anymore. The head vet tech/office manager knew I was looking for something like that because we were getting a puppy and gave it to me. Caleb could still use it if it were taller.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
One of the toys I'm pre-purchasing is a Wubba. I love, love, love Wubbas. That Woolie dog tug looks like it would be perfect, too.

I already have a "big boy" collar. It's a brown leather collar that Kiba had, but was WAY too loose on him (I think the owners thought he needed a big "manly" collar without taking into consideration he only weighed 55 pounds...) so he went to his new home with a new collar and I kept the leather collar as a spare. I do need to clean it though...what is the best way to clean a leather collar?

I also have a 6' webbed leash that I am planning to use as the "play" leash, but I just love leather leads and I want to have the leather leash as a "work" leash.

Now, for a puppy collar...it has been FOREVER since I've had a large dog. (Chloe is only 45 pounds.) What size of collar should I look into for a puppy collar? I'd obviously like to have it fit him as an 8 week old pup, and have him be able to continue to wear it until he's older.

Course, maybe by then my sister's pup will have outgrown his collar and I can use it. :p Wayne is only 3 1/2 months old and already 21 pounds. o_O

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Now, for a puppy collar...it has been FOREVER since I've had a large dog. (Chloe is only 45 pounds.) What size of collar should I look into for a puppy collar? I'd obviously like to have it fit him as an 8 week old pup, and have him be able to continue to wear it until he's older.

Course, maybe by then my sister's pup will have outgrown his collar and I can use it. :p Wayne is only 3 1/2 months old and already 21 pounds. o_O
Here is our collar timeline!
- baby collar. This will be a JUST at 7-8 week thing. Cat collars. 7-11 inches 5/8" width. Merlin used this collar for about a week lol if that. Then again, I got him at around 12 weeks
-Merlin's first REAL puppy collar: Small (5/8" width) for neck size 10†– 15†this was his collar for about 2 months
- Second: (1/2 inch 15"-17" inches) This was a bit wider, a really awkward in-between collar for the tween stage lol this was his "oh god. He is so awkward, puppy collar doesn't fit and I don't want to buy him a new one he is going to grow out of!" collar
- Third: (12"L - 18"L x 1"W) He has two of these, these are the young adult collars, he will likely wear this until older adulthood.

hope it helps!

Torch

One of the toys I'm pre-purchasing is a Wubba. I love, love, love Wubbas. That Woolie dog tug looks like it would be perfect, too.

I already have a "big boy" collar. It's a brown leather collar that Kiba had, but was WAY too loose on him (I think the owners thought he needed a big "manly" collar without taking into consideration he only weighed 55 pounds...) so he went to his new home with a new collar and I kept the leather collar as a spare. I do need to clean it though...what is the best way to clean a leather collar?

I also have a 6' webbed leash that I am planning to use as the "play" leash, but I just love leather leads and I want to have the leather leash as a "work" leash.

To clean leather, I like to use saddle soap, then buff it shiny. If it seems dry, a little mink oil will go a long way :)

Members online

No members online now.