Natural and home birth and un natural hospital births

darkchild16

We are Home.
Stardogs my first nurse encouraged me to move as I wanted since I had no epidural just FYI last 2 didnt but I got the epi with them and it was a safety issue.

I know that ours always encouraged birth balls and the first hospital even had one. But my best experience with my births was midwife and if we were going to have more that would be the way I go midwife and doula in a OB clinic and hospital natural as possible birth.
I ended up with them with Savannah because I planned for HOURSSSSSS more and couldnt do the hip pain and thought it would help lol.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
yep same with my hospital. they had birthing balls, a tub (I don't want to call it a birthing tub because you can't actually give birth in that one but it's a place with warm water where you can go sit and relax), rocking chairs, all kinds of stuff. I didn't use any of it. I was content to sit in bed all day lol.

I did need monitors on me from the start. due to low fluid they were concerned about the cord wrapping around her neck and without the nessecary fluid there may not be enough lubrication to keep it loose (if that makes sense... I can't think of the correct words lol). but even still I was encouraged to get up, go sit on the ball or the rockinng chair or whatever.

I did actually use the rocking chair for a bit. Parked it in front of the TV and watched Americas Funniest Home Videos lol. Good old mindless humor :)

nancy2394

A lot of c sections result from a failed induction. We see soooooo many people that are sick and tired of being pregnant and want to be induced. They start begging for inductions at 35 weeks gestation!! You would be amazed at how many of these mothers to be have been fully informed of the dangers to the baby being delivered premature and they still demand an induction. It angers me that some of these moms put their own selfishness above the health and safety of the baby just because they don't want to be pregnant anymore :(

They don't induce at 35 weeks at our hospital unless there is a medical reason to. However.... when a patient whines and cries and complains long enough to the doctor... they usually get their wishes around 38 weeks. Studies have shown that a baby born before 40 weeks can suffer effects of a premature baby. They now have a category called "the late preterm baby" these are the babies that typically fall in the 35 to 38 weeks gestation. Sometimes those babies can be far more difficult because they are full size and appear to be full term but are having premature lung issues.

When a woman's body is not ready to deliver her baby yet, all the pitocin in the world isn't going to make it happen. Babies do much better when mom goes into labor on her own. Her body is going through the steps necessary for a good labor pattern from her body's response to labor. Pitocin is sometimes necessary to help achieve strong effective contractions... but when it's used soley to induce, it doesn't always work. So then you have an exhausted mom who's been laboring for hours and hours with no real result with an effective labor pattern or dilitation of her cervix.

Another reason c sections are at a high is because those involved.... get impatient. I hate to see a c section be the result of someone being impatient. It's not the way God intended our babies to be birthed and it's more difficult for the baby as far as their respiratory status because they are not squeezed down the birth canal to get that excess amniotic fluid out prior to their first breath.

I think c sections are warranted in emergency situations or when a vaginal birth is just not going to happen without endangering the safety or health of mom or baby. Sometimes people forget that a c section is major abdominal surgery. They cut through all the layers of your muscles to get to your uterus. Recovery can be rough... especially when you're caring for a newborn.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I'm leaning toward hospital birth with no drugs and minimal intervention. I really hope there is a tub there-I like being in the water. I'm put off by the potential side effects of an epidural and the idea of having major abdominal surgery while AWAKE terrifies me--that is something I would never just opt for out of convenience.

Human birth seems particularly gross and horrible in general though--I much prefer horse birth.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Nancy, I hear you there - I can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who choose to induce early without any indications for doing it!

Unfortunately, sometimes it's the docs who want to induce - my BFF started getting pressure from her OB to induce at 38 weeks when she was 37 weeks along. She said there were no indications for induction and she was fine being pregnant full term but the doc kept asking her if she'd rather just "get it over with"! o_O

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
When a friend of mine had her first (who is now in 6th grade) she was asked as soon as it was confirmed she was pregnant if she wanted to schedule a csection right then or is she was wanting a vaginal birth.

darkchild16

We are Home.
When a friend of mine had her first (who is now in 6th grade) she was asked as soon as it was confirmed she was pregnant if she wanted to schedule a csection right then or is she was wanting a vaginal birth.
:yikes: We only were thinking csection because of my safety and hers. We u/s'd before we made our choice though (she came the day of the u/s because at 37 weeks I was dilated 5 cm.) then had a bp of 140/90

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yeah I am a little put off by the idea of scheduling a C section when there is no history of birth problems. I personally feel those should be reserved for emergencies or prior history of C sections due to emergency.

nancy2394

I have to be careful what I say...lol after all, i do work with ob docs with my job. But it's definately NOT always the patient that grows impatient..lol I suggest to people that if they want the most natural birth possible... discuss that in your very first appointment. Research the hospital or birthing center you want to deliver at. See if they are attentive to the patients wishes. I know at our hospital we try to cater to the patient and their wishes. If a mom truly wants a natural birth... no one should force her to get medications or have any interventions that are not necessary. It is possible to deliver your baby in a hospital setting with the most minimal interventions :) I just think it's the safer choice.

Michiyo-Fir

My mom had a natural birth but it was horrible. She was in a hospital but I was a giant 10 lb baby and they ended up having to cut her to get me out and they only gave her very very minimal pain reliever.

She said that wasn't the worst part though, because she had to get stitches from giving birth, she said that was very difficult to heal and she was in intense pain for about 2 weeks.

In the end she said if she ever had another baby, which she didn't. She'd definitely opt for C-section. We know a lot of people that have done it and it's a small opening, only a few stitches and heals with almost no scarring.

I don't want a baby so lucky I won't have to decide so soon but I think at this point I'm leaning towards C-section.

My aunt had 1 C-section and 1 natural birth with pain relief and she said she didn't have a preference either way.

I feel like the people that choose natural birth are very brave but I'd hate to have my mom's experience considering all the babies in our family have been 8-10 lbs and some were breech.

Danefied

I have a different perspective than most moms.

I had twins. At a little over 26 weeks they discovered that one of the babies had “absent end diastolic flow of the umbilical arteryâ€. I was immediately hospitalized for what ended up being 5 weeks of bed rest. It was terrifying. Twice daily ultrasounds, constant fetal monitoring... If the “absent†part of the flow reverses, its fatal to the fetus. Fun times...

Adding to the fun, I had a placental abruption at 30 weeks, then again a few days shy of 32 weeks. Both placental abruptions clotted, and I stopped bleeding, and then, during one of the now all too familiar ultrasounds, they saw that one of the babies had lost all the amniotic fluid. No choice, C-section time for me, NICU time for the babies.

I spent a LONG time dealing with a lot of guilt for not gestating “rightâ€, for not birthing “rightâ€, for having NICU babies. This happens to pretty much all NICU moms from what I can tell. And for the record, I got preggers deliberately. Had a full physical with my Ob/Gyn, went on vitamins, did everything “rightâ€. Was the picture of health both before getting pregnant and during my pregnancy. Yet I still “failed†at the most basic part of being a mom right?

Wrong. There’s no “right†way to birth a baby. I find home births, water births especially, very appealing, but I understand too why women would chose to stay in a hospital.
Like anything, I’d like to see women well-educated on the latest research and information and being able to make an educated choice on what is right for them and their preferences without unnecessary guilt-tripping and fear mongering.

darkchild16

We are Home.

I had twins. At a little over 26 weeks they discovered that one of the babies had “absent end diastolic flow of the umbilical arteryâ€. I was immediately hospitalized for what ended up being 5 weeks of bed rest. It was terrifying. Twice daily ultrasounds, constant fetal monitoring... If the “absent†part of the flow reverses, its fatal to the fetus. Fun times...

Adding to the fun, I had a placental abruption at 30 weeks, then again a few days shy of 32 weeks. Both placental abruptions clotted, and I stopped bleeding, and then, during one of the now all too familiar ultrasounds, they saw that one of the babies had lost all the amniotic fluid. No choice, C-section time for me, NICU time for the babies.

I spent a LONG time dealing with a lot of guilt for not gestating “rightâ€, for not birthing “rightâ€, for having NICU babies. This happens to pretty much all NICU moms from what I can tell. And for the record, I got preggers deliberately. Had a full physical with my Ob/Gyn, went on vitamins, did everything “rightâ€. Was the picture of health both before getting pregnant and during my pregnancy. Yet I still “failed†at the most basic part of being a mom right?

Wrong. There’s no “right†way to birth a baby. I find home births, water births especially, very appealing, but I understand too why women would chose to stay in a hospital.
Like anything, I’d like to see women well-educated on the latest research and information and being able to make an educated choice on what is right for them and their preferences without unnecessary guilt-tripping and fear mongering.
Danefield Ive gone through the guilt to with Savannah. Mostly "why didnt my body hold her in until SHE was ready (she had swallowed amnionic fluid AND had immature lungs) I was going into labor no matter what when they started to induce me but since I wasnt in ACTIVE labor and had signs of preeclampsia starting they wanted to help my body along.

nancy2394

I hope i haven't been fear mongering :( I was just trying to point out the dangers of delivering a baby in a setting such as home in regards to when emergencies arise. I agree that people need to educate themselves and make informed decisions. In the end, we are all responsible for the decisions we make. Prior to becoming a nicu nurse, I had considered a home birth because I didn't realize all the potential risks involved. Many people have successful home births that are all that they wanted them to be... but there is that percentage of home births that have a grave outcome just for the fact that equipment or capable people with nicu training are not available right then and there. I guess I just look at it like playing russian roulette. You just never know what is going to happen in a delivery.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
My mom had a natural birth but it was horrible. She was in a hospital but I was a giant 10 lb baby and they ended up having to cut her to get me out and they only gave her very very minimal pain reliever.

She said that wasn't the worst part though, because she had to get stitches from giving birth, she said that was very difficult to heal and she was in intense pain for about 2 weeks.

In the end she said if she ever had another baby, which she didn't. She'd definitely opt for C-section. We know a lot of people that have done it and it's a small opening, only a few stitches and heals with almost no scarring.

I don't want a baby so lucky I won't have to decide so soon but I think at this point I'm leaning towards C-section.

My aunt had 1 C-section and 1 natural birth with pain relief and she said she didn't have a preference either way.

I feel like the people that choose natural birth are very brave but I'd hate to have my mom's experience considering all the babies in our family have been 8-10 lbs and some were breech.
My nephew was not unusually big af birth but he got stuck in the birth canal at one point and my sil tore badly--200 stitches! O_O

momto8

With my first birth I had an epi, everything went extremely fast, I think i was maybe in the hospital 8 hrs from start to finish, then moved to my room.
Second birth was drug free and was really good except that my baby swallowed amniotic fluid.
Third birth was probably my best, natural, had him within 2 hrs of being admitted to the hospital!
My twins were last, they were transverse ( i think thats the word) so it was an automatic c-section scheduled 1 week before my due date. C-section was the worst experience of my life :( My spinal didn't work, so they had to knock me out. Was just awful :( Recovery time was terrible vs natural.

If my husband and I have a baby in the future it will be all natural :)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Just to clarify... I am not put off by C sections with no history because I feel it's bad for the mother or baby...

I just feel that OR's in a hospital should be reserved for medical nessecity lol. That's probably a ridiculous opinion lol.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I really like this from Birthing Beautiful Ideas:

thats awesome. Its all about information! I have friends who have done it all and it helps to know what they have been through although if you (general you) and your drs decide on a csection I would avoid ICan for info. I went for local info and was told I had no reason for a csection for size even though it was what my dr, MIDWIFE and I decided based on my medical history.

zoe08

I have had 2 c-sections. I am not interested at all in watching any kind of documentary on natural childbirth. I am certainly envious of those of you who can go into labor before your due dates and pop out a baby in 5 hours. I am not one of those people, and I don't feel like people who have those experiences should get to have an opinion on what my deliveries should be like unless they have medical degrees and have previously delivered thousands of babies in all different sorts of circumstances.

My OB likes to induce at 40 weeks, but will let you go over if you really want, but then she will do NSTs twice a week after 40 weeks.

So with Mason I went in the night before my due date to be induced, and that experience made me SO thankful that she encouraged me to be induced on my due date. Mason's heartrate dropped into the 50's before they even inserted the cervadil. After they inserted the cervadil, not even half hour later 3 nurses rush in, flip me over, give me oxygen, and his heartrate had dropped into the 50's again and took a minute to come back up. After that they removed the cervadil and we planned for c-section in the morning. The next morning my new nurse asked me how I felt about the c-section, and said she would be there for me if I decided I didn't want to do the c-section and when my OB came in she said I didn't have to do the c-section. However I chose to go ahead because I was scared how he would tolerate real labor contractions. And I do not regret at all that I made that decision. Pretty much the second she cut me open, she said we would have ended up back there in an emergency situation because his cord was wrapped tightly around his neck twice.

So that definitely makes me believe in monitoring the baby. What if I had waited until I went into my labor on my own, and then if I tried to labor at home as long as possible to avoid medical intervention? What would have happened if we hadn't known that his heartrate was dropping like that?

With Shay I considered a VBAC, but I will NOT do an induction after having had a c-section. I would either have to go into labor on my own or have a c-section. I ended up going with the c-section. I started having some signs of pre-eclampsia, and my OB prefers to deliver BEFORE it turns into pre-e. They considered my birth with Mason to be pregnancy induced hypertension also because when I went in to be induced my BP was high and after my c/s it was really bad I had to be given meds to bring it down because my head hurt worse than I have ever felt in my entire life! So with a history of that, she wanted to take precautions. Also I had been having contractions regularly for 3 months, often for hours at a time less than 5 minutes apart, painful and extremely uncomfortable, but doing absolutely NOTHING! And while I am thankful that I didn't have concerns of delivering pre-mature, by 38 weeks it sure would have been nice if my cervix showed some progress and it didn't. I was sitting in the wheelchair outside the OR before my c/s having painful contractions, and I told DH that it was a good thing I was about to have the c/s because I couldn't take it anymore to keep being miserable with those contractions and not actually be in the process of actively having a baby.

I think it is easier to deal with the contractions, if you know you are in labor, and progressing, and going to be going home with a baby. However I was basically in non-active labor for 3 months, and by that point with no progress yeah, sorry I was DONE.

I will ask when "I" am supposed to go into the hospital, and all nurses that don't know my history, will be like when your contractions are 5 minutes apart regularly. I would have gone into L & D at LEAST 2 times a week if I went in every time my contractions were regularly 5 minutes apart for hours at a time.

I was also anemic with both and almost to the point of having a blood transfusion after having Shay. Technically I was at the point where most people would have been given a transfusion since she said they normally do that when levels are at 7, but since my levels didn't drop very much since i started at a 9, she didn't do it right away, and just monitored me, and I didn't have to one.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My nephew was not unusually big af birth but he got stuck in the birth canal at one point and my sil tore badly--200 stitches! O_O
Yikes. :yikes:

My doc snipped me at the last second. 4 little stitches. pretty easy recovery. My uterus hurt much more than the stitches lol

Members online

No members online now.