Poms

D

Dimmerz

Hey everyone,
I was thinking about getting a Pomeranian. I've heard mixed reviews about them. Anyone have any experience or information about this breed?!
Thanks!

P.S. I'm also new to the forum. It is very informative here! :)

I don't know anything, really specifically about Poms, but I do know that with any of the toy breeds especially, you really have to be careful to avoid backyard breeders and the products of puppy mills. I think that may be because these people can cram more dogs into a small space, increasing their profit potential.

Do your research, not only on the breed, but check potential breeders very, very carefully. Ask to visit. If a breeder is "real" they will be happy and proud to show you their dogs. They will also want to check you out before they send one of their puppies home with you.

As an example, we are in regular contact with the breeders we got Kharma from (and have become friends), and we also stay in contact with the people Shiva came from. She was a different story; a man and his son, who have about 200 acres with a variety of animal (rhea birds, burros, goats and a couple of horses) had an opportunity to breed their Fila to a friend's dog brought from Brazil. They basically breed for their own dogs, and don't have any regular litters, but they understand what they are doing and the principles of sound genetics. These are the kinds of things to look for when you want a puppy.

Sound people make sound dogs.

Okay,
I use to have a pom but she died
anyway, if you want to breed it you
always ALWAYS have to give your
pom a puppymill product insted of a
backyards breeder product.

So you want a Pom

It is true you really do have to be careful who you get your pom from. I used to breed them but no longer do but know some quality dog breeders. If you would like to get ahold of me i will give you there names and # and websites. It also depends on where you live It is hard to find a quality pom breeder in certin areas. you can email me ar [email protected]

foxypaws

Poms are great dogs but they are very stubborn! You have to work really hard to train them, especially housebreaking them. But if you succeed you will have a great dog!

Owning a Pom

Hi - just cruised in and noticed your question. We bought two beautiful little poms from a very reputable breeder 8 years ago. If you are considering buying one (best in pairs), I BEG you not to get one from a petstore or backyard breeder. This breed has been downsized from a 30 lb. sled dog to an "ideal" weight of between 5 - 10 lbs. Because of this, they can tend to have genetic issues when not bred through a good breeder who knows what they're doing. They also can have the tendancy to bark excessively, however this can be controlled with proper training and socializing. They are a "big dog in a little body" and if left to run loose can get themselves into a lot of trouble as large dogs don't scare them a bit. If anything, in households where there are multiple dogs (including large breeds), its usually the pom that rules the roost. Our female isn't great with children, loud noises or lots of activity going on around her, however, our male thrives on it so choosing the puppy with the right personality is important.
Other than that, once you've had a pom, you'll always have one. They are intelligent, happy and very loving dogs which require minimal exercise and moderate grooming (but most love their brushings and are willing to sit through hours of it).
Should you have any specific questions, or would like to be referred to good breeders, I'll be more than happy to help you out. :)

Foxy'smom

I have been the proud owner of a pom for a year now. Foxy is such a sweet dog. She is wonderful with my children . She waits at the door in the afternoons listening for the school bus. She then yaps and yaps in excitement. She loves to play. She is also very much a lap dog too though. She loves to be carried around. She does not enjoy being left alone at all though. One time I was out most of the day and she left me a present in my closet inside one of my shoes. She got her message across loud and clear. Although she is a little stubborn, I don't think that I will ever be without a pom again.

shadowolf

poms are great little dogs.

they are the smallest of the spitz breed.
they are a small dog with a big attitude.

they are very tiny when puppies, you gotta watch out where you are steppin ;).

good luck with researching about the breed.

Members online

No members online now.