Eye Discharge in Shar Pei

I have a 3-year Chinese Shar Pei that has moderate to excessive eye discharge on her left eye, and it causes her eye to be partially or fully closed at times.

Attached herewith is a picture of her eye after cleaning, and you can see that there's a inner layer that acts like some kind of a lining, that appears slightly reddish in colour. Is everything normal? The vet says it's because Shar Pei's have many folds of skin and unfortunately the skin around the eyes can be a source of irritant and cause the unsightly discharge.

Anybody else seen anything similar in their dogs?

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Have you had her checked by a vet that is familiar with the breed or other breeds that can suffer from entropion?

Entropion is a condition in which they eyelid rolls inward and causes the eyelashes to have contact with the eye. This can cause discomfort and in the long term damage to the eye.

It could easily be that your dog suffers from this as it is common in the Shar Pei breed.

If she has entropion this is extremely painful to her and she is going to require surgery to fix it.

My suggestion is that you locate a vet that is more familiar with the breed and/or take her to a veterinary Opthamologist to have her eyes thoroughly checked.

I recommend that you visit the Shar Pei forums online they have a listing of Shar Pei friendly/experienced veterinarians from all over the US and Canada there.

JacksonsMom

Jackson had this for a few days last year. I took him in on the 3rd day, I think, because I realized it was more than just 'normal eye goop'. Plus the green coloring = infection.

Anyway, vet did a Glaucoma Test which came back perfect. She also did a corneal stain and looked into his eye in the dark, and did not see any scratches or anything on the eyes.

So she said it was just some kind of infection. Probably conjunctivitis.

She gave me eye drops and I gave them 2-3x a day for like 3-4 days, I think, and it cleared right up.

Members online

No members online now.