What To Do If Animal Control Knocks on Your Door

The first video is like 30 years old, Renee. The dog was trained to attack, supposedly ordered to attack in that case, and had previously bitten, yet AC sent one little bitty girl who clearly didn't know what to do. I'd consider that as much a condemnation of AC as of the owner.

I struggle to see what either have to do with the topic at hand. *cough Kela cough*

What puzzles me, Baha, and makes me suspect "staged" is the filming - even if it's 30 years old. Especially if it's 30 years old. 30 years ago no one sent a camera out to film AC going to pick up a dog, and home video equipment was really grainy and jerky.

altos1

I placed the video's due to the fact many individuals will set up ac or Police by sending their dog into attack..Thus something not to do when animal control comes to visit..

Even if the first video's 30 yrs old people can be nuts a time or two..

if they knock on my door, I'll show them my binder. in it is a complete record of the dogs life with me. vaccination certs. neuter certs, micro-chip documentation, and liscence approval from the city. also, a hand-written letter from my landlord, not only endorsing me to have the 3 dogs (city limit is 3), but also a testament to how well they are maintained and how responsible an owner I am.
no problem. bring it on.

sprintime

I had no clue you could refuse them entry to your home if they wanted to check the dogs you have. I've never been in that situation but I guess knowing this helps for the future, who knows...

Is this a huge problem? I ask out of curiousity, because I have never known animal control (at least here) to really bother with breeders at all, unless we are talking about a puppy mill, and it would have to be a huge one, situation.
I've had animal control out at my place after my idiot neighbors reported me for having a baby lion in the apartment. I'm not sure in what world a grey persian cat resembles a lion, but I digress. The two men were very nice, I showed them Angry Puss, we called the vet to confirm a rabies vaccination (I had lost the certificate and tag in a move) and we all went on our way.
I've never heard of them being like you have described, but maybe it is more of a big city thing?

S&S, I think it depends on how much attention you attract.

Example. Where we used to live in St. Louis, code enforcement (ie, animal control) trucks were up and down our street all the time. They didn't like the fact that we had an out-of-park trailer, and were always looking for tall weeds, peeling paint, cracked concrete, etc., to cite us on. They drove by once when we were pottying a new puppy on-leash, and right away we had a notice in our mailbox that we had to get rid of her for being a "pitbull dog."

Lots of times animal control complaints don't even have anything to do with the dog. It's a disgruntled neighbor who doesn't like the color of your rosebushes, so they call on your dogs instead. The childish games people play. Animal control supposedly doesn't even come out where we live now, and it's been some years since I've had one on my doorstep.

lukeblaise

AC varies so much by where you live.

In most areas they are underfunded.

With the economy today, it will only get worse for them.

Luke

dukha11

6. Warning - anyone in lawful possession of the premises may be able to give permission for a search.Make sure your roommate, babysitter, dog-sitter, housekeeper and other know that they should notlet animal control into your home or on your property (i.e. backyard, garage, etc.).

yikes!!! well thanks for the info, even though it maybe uncommon but right now im feeling kinda frightend with those guys, well atleast now i know what they can do and what i should do.
again thanks ^_^

Last week Juno was in a fight with another dog in front of our condo (fight wasn't our fault), and I was scared the woman who owned the other dog was going to try to call AC or make me pay for her dog's vet bills. I remembered reading this in the past, and so I ran inside and re-read it, and then called my sister and her husband (we share a condo) and told them multiple times that if AC comes knocking, they shouldn't let them in without a warrant, and shouldn't talk to them through an open door, or anything. They looked at me like I was crazy, lol. But they said okay.

Thanks for the information!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Yeah because AC is always right....keep thinking that.

I had the local police, in NY bring AC in my house without my consent because someone reported that I "left my dogs in the snow" - which wasn't true at all...yeah they should have that kind of right to do that. :rolleyes:

Romy

Taxiderpy
BUMP...?

This post is a sad example of this forum's will to protect anyone and everyone from the ethical sector of law enforcement for animals.
So, the AC officer who barged into an old woman's house, and kidnapped her puer bred CKC registered labrador retriever because he thought it was a pit bull (which were banned in her area) was part of a "ethical sector of law enforcement"?

Give me a break. That innocent dog would have died that very day if she hadn't had his reg. papers proving his breed.

Besides, officers tricking and bullying people into entering their homes with no evidence is NOT okay. Ever. Not in our country. If there is evidence, they can get a warrant.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Animal Control rarely attracts the best and the brightest, it's seen as a crap position by other officers and the ones performing their jobs get burned out quicker than any other sector of law enforcement. Not people I'm going to just blindly trust to "make the right call". Some are bullies looking to throw their weight around, some just don't care enough to bother with proper breed identification.

And still others are misguided ARistas using their badge to carry out their personal agendas.

Staff online

Members online