"Victory laps" / disc peeps?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Or I'm sure anyone who plays fetch with their dog knows what I'm talking about. You throw it, dog runs and grabs it, and instead of bringing it back... they just trot around all proud of themselves.

SO. Tips for getting Cajun to be better at refocusing to me for the next throw, instead of doing her victory laps? She DOES come back. It just takes a few moments and wastes time. :eek: Oddly enough I don't think she really does it so much with tennis balls, she's usually pretty good about just coming back with those and throwing them at my feet... she's worse about it with discs, or maybe I just notice it more because I want her to come back more quickly in those instances.

Case in point. She catches, runs out a bit further, and then circles back (rather casually too). If I don't actually call for her there's usually more circling.
[YOUTUBE]NF9DSCiaH-o[/YOUTUBE]

I'm just used to watching videos where when the dog catches it, they pretty much turn on a dime to go running back for the next one. Not so with my dog lol. I'll add too that it's not just after a throw - she'll try to take off for a lap after flip catches and vaults, or any of those other close up tricks... it's getting annoying. :p

So yes. Just wondering if there are things we can work on so I'm not always like hey, you, get back here.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Only thing that "fixed" it for us (I say "fixed", because the majority of the time Roxie won't do victory laps, or will only do a short lap and then come back around) was taking out her 40ft long line, stepping on it, and then reeling her in before she could do a lap. Then Roxie gets loads of treats/praise and maybe I'll even tug with her, especially if she came in super fast.

If you're not wanting Cajun to come back to you though and just get ready for the next disc, I'd say just don't reel her in... but still stop her from moving via the long line. If you're able to, then toss her a treat.

Hope this helps! :)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
To get Indy to come running back, I'll randomly tug with the disc with her. She loves tug, so this ensures she comes running back faster instead of casually.

krissy

I paired it with something she has a higher drive for. When she caught the disc I would present a tug toy and she'd come zooming back. Now I'm fading the toy by making her do a few catches in a row before she gets her toy. She's also developing a higher drive for the disc itself, so knowing another disc is coming has become a bit of motivation in itself.

DJEtzel

I also did the tug thing with Patton, and when he started to get a little wide, I started playing inside the training center against the wall, something I learned from Ron Watson. He caught the disc 5' from the wall and hit the breaks, and spun around. Mark and throw a roller the other direction.

With Recon, I used a two ball game (with rollers) in conjunction with playing inside against a wall. As soon as he caught a disc, I marked and threw a disc in the other direction, basically. Ping ponging back and forth. It has gotten his retrieve SO much better!

Keeping criteria is what I have the biggest problem with.

Two ballllllll (or disc)

This is my constant challenge with Pilot, he REALLY REALLY wants to run off with his toys. For him its been really important to build the ritual of go out-come back. As soon as he picks up a toy (or a little before) start talking excitedly, backing up, turning and running away. Then fading all that help over time, and switching from using help as a lure (getting the dog to come back) to a reinforcer (dog chooses to come back and that makes you get excited). Pilot doesn't like tugging more than he likes running away, so that wasn't helpful (although I'm working on that too).

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I also did the tug thing with Patton, and when he started to get a little wide, I started playing inside the training center against the wall, something I learned from Ron Watson. He caught the disc 5' from the wall and hit the breaks, and spun around. Mark and throw a roller the other direction.
Okay cool, that was actually 1 idea that came to my mind that I was wondering about. :p

We'll have to do some experimenting, thanks for the ideas! I haven't really worked on it much because initially I was just happy that she was excited about playing. Now that we have that part down pretty well, it's time for rules. :p

Members online