Guess the Breed: wirehair and ticking and color dilution, oh my!

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Speculation on the breed mix of my foster puppies continues. They are all delightful little beasties with no major breed traits whatsoever. They aren't diggers, barkers, or sniffers. They have no prey drive, little to no toy drive, and minimal food drive. They are somewhat physically insensitive and not too worried about negative responses from people. Their temperaments range from highly perceptive to doofy and lab-like.

Physically they have a rather odd collection of traits that should help rule out some possibilities. They were picked up as strays together at around 4.5-5 weeks old in South Central Los Angeles. As they were all the same size and developmental level, we're assuming they are from the same litter. One is blue ticked so they ended up in cattledog rescue. They are so, so not cattledogs. The shelter called them pit bull/German wirehaired pointer mixes, but they are eight months old now and topping out under 30 pounds.

Kit: About 25 pounds, shedding wire coat, black with blue ticking. Very light build. Softest temperament, follows people around and offers sits for attention.

Darla: Almost 30 pounds, shedding wire coat, blue color dilution and white. Heavy build. Very silly, crashes into things and laughs off corrections from people and older dogs.

Ravenwing: 27 pounds, shedding wire coat, blue roan on nose and toes. The rest of her is...seal? Light undercoat and dark guard hairs. Light build. Silly and sensitive, not subject to gravity.

Xena: 28 pounds, long shedding wire coat, blue roan on nose and toes. Same seal-ish coat as Ravenwing. Heavy build. Terrified of mundane objects and easily overstimulated when not terrified.

So we have wire coats with a lack of terrierness, color dilution, roaning/ticking, in dogs under 30 pounds. Give me your best breed guesses.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Nothing real to add, other than they look like the Dalmation/Poodle mixes we had come through our shelter not too long ago (known parentage). They were very lab like with terrier coats.

Nothing real to add, other than they look like the Dalmation/Poodle mixes we had come through our shelter not too long ago (known parentage). They were very lab like with terrier coats.
A fair number of doodles and other known poodle crosses we see have wiry coats, so poodle isn't an unreasonable guess.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Ravenwing needs to come stay with me.

Oh, breed, you say? It wouldn't surpise me if Poodle was in there. I also wonder about Schnauzer?

If you crossed a Poodle/Schnauzer with a generic cattle dog/terrier type mix, wonder if you'd get these?

Sekah

The Monster.
Your descriptions reminded me of Wheatens. Driveless, stressy, spooky, silly, social.

joce

OMG I freaking need every single one of them!!!

Does that help?
Pretty much that. I was gonna say that cute black one with the white nose but then what about the cutie with the black eye!!

Reminds me if the beagle wire hair terrier mix we had. The one looked just like a beagle but one looked just like these guys but tan. The mom was a beagle and we just assumed dad was wire hair terrier( I think one had been brought in with mom at the pound same time). I love how weird genetics can be. These guys all look alike. Most mix litters I see are all over the place.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Your descriptions reminded me of Wheatens. Driveless, stressy, spooky, silly, social.
And here I thought it was just the Wheatens around me that were like that. So glad I didn't end up with one :eek:

Also they are adorable but I have absolutely no idea what they are!

milos_mommy

We'll never know!!

They look a good deal like poodle x English Bulldogs I know!

id think they likely have poodle or schnauzer in them. Possible wheaten. They look JRTish but don't sound it, lol.

Otherwise maybe Dalmatian, hound type breeds? Poodle x beagle?

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
They look quite a bit like some border collie x JRTs. So I'm going to say BC x Terrier x other stuff maybe?
I would be shocked if there was any BC in them, they are just so...mellow. Maybe because it's because I only love insane herding breeds, but I find these puppies to be almost boring. They are just not that into anything at all. Non-destructive and quiet even if under-exercised, self-entertaining in the house when provided with a variety of toys. They don't particularly destroy things when they do decide to chew non-toys.

OMG I freaking need every single one of them!!!

Does that help?
Certainly. Let me see if I have a box big enough. What's your address?

Ravenwing needs to come stay with me.

Oh, breed, you say? It wouldn't surpise me if Poodle was in there. I also wonder about Schnauzer?

If you crossed a Poodle/Schnauzer with a generic cattle dog/terrier type mix, wonder if you'd get these?
I've been thinking Schnauzer myself, but they don't carry color dilution. Neither do German Wirehaired Pointers.

Really? All the Wheatens I know are mindless barking assholes with zero social skills. With the exception of Xena, the girls aren't stressy or spooky, and even she is fine when far enough away from traffic. They are definitely driveless, silly, and social though.

I love how weird genetics can be. These guys all look alike. Most mix litters I see are all over the place.
That's what makes me wonder if they aren't a 50/50 cross, since most of those seem to turn out pretty consistent. All the 50/50 puggle/beagle, golden/poodle, lab/poodle, schnauzer/poodle, maltese/poodle, etc crosses that I know are extremely similar to each other. All the unusual ones have ended up being 25/75, F2, or more complicated crosses.

Members online

No members online now.