cocoa is not submissive!!!!!

luvmydogs

when i try to put her into the submission position, she growls and bites. what do i do? keep holding her down? which i did, but i got nipped at. i told her firmly no, but she didnt care.

Last edited:

oriondw

user not active
Why are you trying to put her in a submissive position? Ugh.... I would think with 1355 posts you would know better.

luvmydogs

well i dont think it matters if i got 1 post or 1355 posts. i never had a puppy before, i only used to rescue older dogs. why dont u answer my question instead of being a smart ass...guess u dont have an answer. i put her in submissive position cus she bit me, and she needs to know that she cannot get away with it. that i am the boss and she's not.tosvedanja

oriondw

user not active
luvmydogs said:
well i dont think it matters if i got 1 post or 1355 posts. i never had a puppy before, i only used to rescue older dogs. why dont u answer my question instead of being a smart ass...guess u dont have an answer. i put her in submissive position cus she bit me, and she needs to know that she cannot get away with it. that i am the boss and she's not.tosvedanja

And why did she bite you in the first place? In original post you said she bit you because you tried to force her into submissive position ( dont even want to know what you did to her...)

Also when trying to make a smart ass remark, at least learn the correct spelling of the words.

Fran27

That's old thinking, it does nothing except make her angry with you. She won't respect you just because you feel you have to show her by force that you are the leader...

I got to agree with Oriondw, there are probably 100 posts on biting and advice on the puppy forum, why don't you go read it?

luvmydogs

oriondw said:
And why did she bite you in the first place? In original post you said she bit you because you tried to force her into submissive position ( dont even want to know what you did to her...)

Also when trying to make a smart ass remark, at least learn the correct spelling of the words.
well i apologize if i came on a little harsh. i posted another post yesterday about her growling and biting when i pick her up, or try to tell her NO, when she does something she is not supposed to. so as long as i have been here reading posts, i read a few times that when they dont listen u put them in a submissive position. i didnt hurt her or anything. i wouldnt mistreat her. i just wanted to earn her respect.
p.s. how do u spell tosvedanja? my dad was hungarian and spoke russian, but i dont remember :D

luvmydogs

Fran27 said:
That's old thinking, it does nothing except make her angry with you. She won't respect you just because you feel you have to show her by force that you are the leader...

I got to agree with Oriondw, there are probably 100 posts on biting and advice on the puppy forum, why don't you go read it?
well i already did, but so many say different things. i thought i could get help. and not being beat on. u think i dont read? when i post something that means its my last resort, because i REALLY dont know what to do. well, whatever then

Fran27

It takes more than a week to get a dog to stop their bad behavior. You need to be consistent or they will just be confused. If she bites, say no, and ignore her for 5 minutes. And keep doing that, eventually she will get it.

My husband does the put on the back thing too, because ignoring once didn't work, and let me tell you that it's doing absolutely nothing... except making Boris thinks he wants to play.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I didn't get a chance to post earlier, but congrats on the new puppy! From what I understand, minpins can be very stubborn, demanding little dogs. If she's like this at only 8 weeks old, you need get a handle on her behavior now. She'll only grow more stubborn as she grows older. Don't try to force her into submission. With her temperament, it will only make her angry and more determined to teach you that she's the boss.

I'd start obedience right away. Don't let her on anything: furniture, beds, laps, etc., until she learns what "on" and "off" mean, and that you make the rules in the house. Use a lot of NILF. And once she has any type of command down (such as sit or come), I would stop feeding her formal meals. Instead, give her a full ration of food as rewards for obedience. Make her sit, give her a bite of kibble, make her sit, give her some kibble, etc. She'll still get all the food she needs, but she'll connect the food with good behavior, and not as something she just gets automatically.

Sorry if anything I said is a repeat of what anyone else has already posted, but this is very important. Cocoa sounds like she has a very strong, domineering minpin personality, and she needs to learn how to respect the other members of the household.

Forget all that bunk about submission, okay, Michaela? That's a great way to end up with a biter.

It sounds like NILIF or some sort of very structured training would be a good idea for Cocoa. And remember, puppies bite - that's how they play . . .

More later - gotta go ;)

Members online