Coyote sounds and meanings?

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
This is probably the most random topic... but is anyone familiar with coyotes, their behavior, and their different calls and the meanings? Anyone know a website where I can learn about this/listen? :0 I've heard the ones on soundboard, but those aren't analyzed.

I'm just very curious about them in general and hope to learn how to identify their vocalizations.... I have a ton of coyotes in my area who have killed many neighbors' dogs. o_o

Romy

Taxiderpy

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
This is the borzois' translation of coyote sounds:

Single 'yote yodeling: KILL IT WITH FIRE

Lots of coyotes yodeling: KILL THEM WITH FIRE

Yipping: KILL IT WITH FIRE

Demon death scream: I'M KILLING IT. BRING THE FIRE.

This is a pretty interesting article though, and they cite a lot of other interesting articles and studies in it.

http://predatorhuntingforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/232-the-art-and-science-of-coyote-vocalizations-and-their-application-to-calling/
omg LOOOL this is perfect.

And thanks for the article! Reading it now. :cool:

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
According to Cobain:
"These feral primitive canines use a simplistic archaic language which seems to be focused more on the aspect of irritating those around them opposed to actually communicating. These simplistic creatures and their bizarre noises are not worth paying any attention to. Now...throw the ball for me"

None of my dogs pay attention to the yipping and screaming that occurs behind our house most nights in the summer.

From what I'm finding, the link that Romy posted is one of the best. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

joce

Just from experience they are sneaky and they learn quickly.

I have also heard from many (and experienced it)that they can throw their voice but have yet to see that in an article. I was convinced they were right behind my barn but they were up in front of the house pulling me back towards the barn.

They also make this blood curdling scream I will never get out of my head. Cried the first time I heard it and ran around trying to find what they were killing but it was just them!

The first couple weeks we brought Truman home they were really wanting to get him. Came right up to me walking him. Neighbor got a few and supposedly if you listen to how it's supposed to be if you kill one then ten more take it's place but so far so good. Not even heard one recently.

Yeah, the scream is terrible. Have I mentioned that Gambit knows how to employ it?

I always thought that he might have more responses to the random coyote noises, but he doesn't really care.

Members online

No members online now.