Evaluate the rescue, not just the dog.

BlueB3

Wall of text, but might just be worth the read.

Hello, my name is Greg, and I am hoping to get my story out so that what happened to me, doesn't happen to anyone else. At the end of August of this year, we accepted into our home a foster dog from "I Have A Dream Rescue Organization". This wasn't our first foster, but she would be our last.

When we picked up Jada on Friday August 22nd from the head of IHADRO, Misti, she assured us that Jada was a sweet dog, with a very submissive temperament, and had been well evaluated. Jada was very excited, and had a TON of energy as she was spending most of her day in a crate at Misti's house. Jada was a bit of a handful those first few minutes but calmed down once she had on a thunder shirt, and taken for a walk. The next two days we got to know Jada, and how she reacted toward our own small dogs, and everything seemed great.

Sunday the 24th, my wife Nikki and I were posting pictures and a video to Jada's Facebook page, in an attempt to help her be adopted. That's when I heard my daughter start crying. The dog had hopped on the couch, and scratched my daughters leg. My wife checked on her, and gave her a hug to comfort her, and tell her everything was alright. Jada jumped up on Nikki's side, pushing her with her paws and barked. I pointed at Jada and said "Jada, No!" In a forceful tone, and that's when she snapped.

The dog growled/barked and jumped up and bit my left forearm, puncturing the skin. I looked and saw the blood start, and couldn't process it at first, then she jumped again, biting me twice more in the arm, bit me in the stomach, then twice more in my foot and ankle.

During this time Nikki is pushing our kids out of the way, and grabbing a blanket which she throws over the dogs head, and pulls her off of me. She shoved the dog into the bathroom, slamming the door to trap her in there.

I hobbled to the car after wrapping my arm in a towel, and helped make sure both my children, and my wife were unharmed. On our way to the ER, Nikki called Misti to let her know what happened, and that she needed to send a someone to get the dog.

Once at the ER, they assessed my wounds, and decided that although they usually just clean and bandage dog bites (usually avoid stitches so they don't seal in infections), my ankle needed sewn back together. The dog ripped a 4 inch gash, almost to the bone, across the front of my ankle. It required a mattress stitch, to pull it all back together, and 12 stitches across the top to close it up. They irrigated and dressed the rest of my wounds, and sent me home.

While we were at the ER, a team from the rescue came and removed the dog from our house, they said she was calm and docile as they led her outside, and into a crate. She was put down the next morning.

I thought that was the end, but the bite on my ankle became infected, and I ended up back at the hospital, staying for three days while they ran a full course of IV antibiotics to clear the infection.

It's been over a month, and despite asking the rescue numerous times, they have never once provided any type of insurance information. Misti has repeatedly asked us not to file a claim, and has never once attempted to meet with us and find a solution. On October 1st she informed us that neither she, not anyone from the IHADRO would talk to us any longer, and directed us to her lawyer. I attempted to contact her lawyer, and left a voicemail asking for the insurance information, and never received a call back. I consulted an attorney, who called her and asked for the insurance information. She asked that he e-mail the request, and she would get back to him. Yet another week has gone by, and no response has been received.

I don't have money to pay an attorney to constantly hound their attorney, or the organization, when all they do is ignore us, especially since my medical bills from this ordeal are piling up.

yoko

If fostering is something you really enjoy doing maybe you could find a different group to foster for? I find this kind of crazy because the rescues around me that I've contacted all do a pretty crazy amount of evaluating dogs before even accepting them.

Maybe you could find a lawyer that would be willing to do it pro bono?

Do you have insurance? If so have you tried contacting them?

Members online