Fake service dogs

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I for one think its society they needs to "grow up" I mean why is there so much stigma about a dog in a clothing store or walmart or a mall. I have said it before, even the dirtest dog is cleaner then some humans :p.

so some folks are allergic/afraid ... so what? I mean come one people, cowboy up all ready. I am creeped out by dolls but they still sell them, I am allergic to mushrooms but they still sell them. Some perfumes give me a migraine but they still sell them, see the trend here?

i am just saying, if we "disallow" everything that offends someone there would be nothing left.

Shakou

I for one think its society they needs to "grow up" I mean why is there so much stigma about a dog in a clothing store or walmart or a mall. I have said it before, even the dirtest dog is cleaner then some humans :p.

so some folks are allergic/afraid ... so what? I mean come one people, cowboy up all ready. I am creeped out by dolls but they still sell them, I am allergic to mushrooms but they still sell them. Some perfumes give me a migraine but they still sell them, see the trend here?

i am just saying, if we "disallow" everything that offends someone there would be nothing left.
I have a friend that won't step foot into a petstore, including the big chain stores that supposedly have the amazing ventilation system, because she starts sneezing the second she walks in the doors due to being allergic to dogs. She's not the only person in this world with that problem and won't be the last. Now if dogs were allowed everywhere in public, what exactly would you expect her to do? Stay home and never venture out again?

Are stores cramming mushrooms down your throat and spraying perfume in your face? No? Come back and make that comparison when they start.

stafinois

Professional Nerd

I often chuckle to myself thinking it's ridiculous that my well-behaved dogs are allowed so many less places than that hairless monkey I gave birth to.

Many years ago I was at an APDT conference and Grant got to go into a nice restaurant. My friend and I walked to a place to eat a few blocks from the conference that had patio seating, but by the time we got there, all of the patio tables were taken. We turned around to leave when the manager said it was fine if Grant came in. He layed nicely under the table. I didn't really think about it until later. He was wearing a backpack at the conference so that he could help carry my stuff. I wasn't trying to pass him off as a service dog, but maybe they thought he was. At the time I just assumed that they were being nice since a dog training conference was going on next door.

Now Grant comes to work with me in a public library. We aren't too concerned about allergies and phobias because he stays behind the desk. People can pet him if they would like, but they have to go to him so that he's not wandering around.

Flyinsbt

Are stores cramming mushrooms down your throat and spraying perfume in your face? No? Come back and make that comparison when they start.
It's actually not uncommon for stores to spray perfume on people who are in the store. And if there's a lot of perfume being sprayed in the store, you don't even have to spray it directly on you, you'll inhale it if you get near.

I try to stay away from perfume counters, since it's always tended to cause my throat to tighten, and for awhile at least, was triggering asthma attacks.

Saeleofu

I walked into lowes last night with Sloan, right past the corporate "no dogs allowed" sign. The trespassing(which actually isn't a crime at all until you stay against their request) that was suggested in this thread, not the "ask first" but the "use lowes & HD to train in public", is slightly humorous due to their policy about dogs.
The Lowe's I go to allows dogs. The Home Depot near me (I haven't gone in a HD in years...not sure if I've ever been in one, actually) does not allow dogs. I can't speak for any others. As a result of allowing dogs, the employees at Lowe's do not respect that my dog is a working dog unless he has his vest on, with a HUGE "DO NOT PET" sign (along with SD patches) - and even then most employees try to sneak in a pet. And it's not like my dog's naked otherwise - even if I don't have the vest on him, he's n his guide harness which also has "SERVICE DOG" across the front. Lowe's and TSC are the only dog-friendly places I take Logan because of the behavior of not just the pets, but moreso the PEOPLE in pet stores.

Leaving the dog in the car at Devils Tower was not an option, which I thought was a little unreasonable, because I believe it's open year round. I think temperature restrictions make more sense. Doesn't matter, I just won't go there. They do mention boarding in nearby towns, but that's not an option for me, it's unnecessary exposure risk when we're already on the way to a dog show, and I don't give as many vaccines as boarding places want.

Parks are all different, they have differing regulations. You have to check before you go.

I do not assume, though, at businesses, that if there's no sign, that means no dogs. I'm used to businesses having posted signs if dogs aren't allowed. Dogs aren't allowed where food is served (except outdoor patios) due to state law, so I wouldn't bother even checking for a sign there, but any other business, it would be business owner's discretion. If they don't want a dog in there, they can put up a sign like everyone else.
Guess what? I also have a pet dog, Gavroche. Guess what else? I also travel with my pet. When I have Gavroche with me, I have to make all those plans and precautions, too. That's life when you're traveling with a pet. Last time I went to Tulsa for a dog show I wanted a steak SO BADLY. But I had Gavroche, so I couldn't get one (and I couldn't find any drive-through steak places...there's one here in town and I totally think they should state that fact on dog show premiums lol).

You CHOOSE to have pets. Deal with the consequences of that choice. Yes, I also CHOOSE to use a service dog. My other options are a service human, staying home, or melting down in public. Taking my service dog is my best option. I deal with the consequences of that, too. It takes longer to go anywhere because I have to get my dog dressed. I have to groom him AT LEAST every other week, and more often in shedding seasons. I limit my activities during shedding so as not to subject others to massive amounts of dog hair.

Saeleofu

I try to stay away from perfume counters, since it's always tended to cause my throat to tighten, and for awhile at least, was triggering asthma attacks.
Fancy that. You have a reaction to something and try to stay away from it to prevent further reactions. What's wrong with people wanting to avoid excessive dogs to prevent a reaction?

Flyinsbt

Guess what? I also have a pet dog, Gavroche. Guess what else? I also travel with my pet. When I have Gavroche with me, I have to make all those plans and precautions, too. That's life when you're traveling with a pet. Last time I went to Tulsa for a dog show I wanted a steak SO BADLY. But I had Gavroche, so I couldn't get one (and I couldn't find any drive-through steak places...there's one here in town and I totally think they should state that fact on dog show premiums lol).
Sweetheart, I know that. I know how to make decisions and seek information about travel with my dogs. Been dealing with it for years. Repeating myself from the last time you replied to this post:

"And the park thing is even more irrelevant, I'm sorry I mentioned it, it was a poor example of what I was trying to say. And that I continued to try to get explanatory, because I thought we were off the arguing thing and were on an irrelevant chat about dog regulations at national parks. Just scratch the whole thing."

And that's absolutely all I will say on the park topic. Reference back to this post, or my reply on the last page if you want to see what I have to say on the topic again.

Members online

No members online now.