Can't Decide Between A Beagle or JRT ?? (Please Help)

I have to make up my decision by tommorow so I really need as much help as I can get.

Alright,
I am an active 16 year old who would love to play catch and frisbee with my dog.
Would like a dog that is kind hearted and gentle.
Would like a dog that is obediant if it gets the right amount of training from an early age. Such as sitting and coming to me when i say.

I heard its very hard to teach that to the beagle. I also heard that you cant even let one off lead without the area being totally fenced off so I am afraid that I wont be able to play fetch and frisbee with my beagle if it will always be trying to run off.

The Jack Russell, I heard can get too aggressive and really hyper.

I live in an apartment but i do have a backyard and access to a park 2 blocks away from me.

Someone that either has one of these dogs or knows about them, I would really appreiciate any feedback.

thanks ;)

Hi Layzboy3802, Welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums!

Both are active dogs. I have had beagles but my back yard at the time was 40 square miles of woods. They love to run, hunt, and can be very excited when they haven't seen you in about 30 minutes :)

I have shelties and they catch frisbees :)

Chazhound

My sister, who lives in San Francisco, has a JRT, Braec. He does very well playing in Golden Gate Park with the other dogs; his best friend is a Pit Bull. He actually minds very well (my parents took care of him for a little over a year, so I know this first-hand), and his training was very minimal, just the basics.

Hope this helps!

Brattina88

IME it is very easy to teach a beagle because they are so food motivated. People tell me they're stubborn but I've had 3 and a beagle mix and had no trouble training any of them. Most beagles can't be let off leash, however, because their "nose takes over." They'll be following a scent and completly forget about you while they're hunting. They are great dogs though

I've never had a JRT, but saying that they're aggressive is a little unfair - any dog, if not socailized, trained, or exercised can be aggressive.

I am an active 16 year old who would love to play catch and frisbee with my dog.
Would like a dog that is kind hearted and gentle.
Would like a dog that is obediant if it gets the right amount of training from an early age. Such as sitting and coming to me when i say.
I would also suggest a Shetland Sheepdog if your open for suggestions. Great dogs, eager to please, very trainable, and will fetch for hours. Check 'em out
:D

I'll have to say that of all the dog breeds I've "met," the Shetland Sheepdog must have one of the sweetest, kindest and most appealing dispositions I've ever seen and it would definitely get my vote especially for a more inexperienced dog owner. They just seem to be supremely amiable little creatures.

Not to mention, for a 16 year old guy - what a great dog to meet girls with!

Members online

No members online now.