Sometimes it's the Little Things

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Maybe it's just because I've been obsessing over certain Puppy Dilemmas recently, but the little things my dogs do have been making me smile even more than usual lately as I reminisce how far we're come as teams and as a household.

At a recent agility trial I opened Webster's soft crate (which he no longer tries to escape given half a chance) and he held his half-in/half-out position til I released him then he shot out and instantly whirled back at me, bouncing and grinning and mugging me for his agility lead so he could go run.

No worry. No distraction from the people and dogs milling all around. Not even a thought of shooting off or going shopping. Nothing from me but my attention, and I was receiving full uncued engagement in return.

And he's been doing this for months. It just kind of hit me how far my little guy has come, and to be honest tears came to my eyes. And then I blinked them away, grinned back at him, and minutes later he brought home another QQ and daily total of 30 points. That's four QQs in a row, now.

All three of my dogs have had such different journeys, and I am deeply grateful to have been part of each one. I have different expectations and hopes and goals for each of them and they always meet me halfway. Or more. Whatever the future holds, I am looking forward to it.

/cheese moment

Members online