Officer kills 4 month old pit bull

Adjecyca1

Off duty officer kills 4 month old pit bull puppy. It's partially the owners fault dog should have been leashed

A four-month old puppy was shot and killed by an off-duty Chicago, Ill., police officer on Friday afternoon, and the puppy's owner is disputing the officer's recount of what took place, reported Sunday's CBS Chicago.
The man who shot the puppy, a pit bull, lives near the home where the puppy was shot and killed. He claims that he was walking with his son, who was riding a bike, and the pup charged them.

The man, an eight year veteran of the force, shot the 35 pound puppy eight times.

The puppy's guardian, Samantha Maglaya, claims that there was no child in sight, and her puppy was not aggressive, telling NBC Chicago:

He would sit in the yard and listen to the birds. He didn't even bark. He never growled,

He was the biggest baby.

Maglaya describes the moment just after the puppy, Maximus, was shot:

I ran to my dog and my kids were standing all around him screaming and crying,

Though the puppy was rushed to a veterinarian, he could not be saved.

Though the off-duty officer defends his actions, stating that the puppy charged his son, Maglaya disputes what took place, stating:

There was no son there. The whole time I was holding my dog and he was bleeding all over us and the kids are screaming and crying, his son was not there.

Neighbors support Maglaya's version; they have stated that the little boy was more than a block away and that the puppy never made a sound.

The incident is being investigated
http://www.examiner.com/article/off-duty-officer-shoots-and-kills-pit-bull-puppy-chicago

I wasn't there and I guess anything is possible, but I have yet to meet a 4 month old puppy that needed to be dealt with using lethal means. I have a hard time believing this guy ran into one.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I wasn't there and I guess anything is possible, but I have yet to meet a 4 month old puppy that needed to be dealt with using lethal means. I have a hard time believing this guy ran into one.
This. And I work at a vet clinic, where all kinds of screwy animals come in on a daily basis and we get to try to do all kinds of non-fun things to them.

I'm disgusted.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Our trainer at work brought in his new 4 month old pit puppy/foster the other day and the puppy can barely walk straight he's so clumsy much less "charge someone." Absolutely disgusting.

JacksonsMom

This. Ugh, I am just so frustrated with all of these stories of the police killing dogs. You know sometimes I can somewhat understand, and a lot of times the owners are somewhat at fault, too, but it just seems to happen SO often. It's crazy. There's GOT to be a better way to deal. Not to mention firing your gun where kids are around? Give me a break!

I agree with everything said! Why shoot it, and eight times? I would question anyone who took these actions, but at the same time WTF wasn't it leashed? I have to question anyone who allows a puppy to be off leash in a city or town. On a farm I understand because the chances of it running up to some passerby or running In to traffic are slim. There is no one in who lives in North America that is not aware on some level the stigma that follows 'pit bulls' wouldn't you take even more caution to keep it from harms way?

Aescleah

Ok leashes are important but come on shooting a puppy is very extreme and 8 times that seriously needs to be investigated and dealt with properly

Ashley

DJEtzel

I agree with everything said! Why shoot it, and eight times? I would question anyone who took these actions, but at the same time WTF wasn't it leashed? I have to question anyone who allows a puppy to be off leash in a city or town. On a farm I understand because the chances of it running up to some passerby or running In to traffic are slim. There is no one in who lives in North America that is not aware on some level the stigma that follows 'pit bulls' wouldn't you take even more caution to keep it from harms way?
I keep all of my puppies off leash in the city. Including the foster puppy I just placed; a pit mix. But I don't let them rush anything and it doesn't seem clear whether or not that happened, either, at this point. The puppy might have been just walking/running down the road with his owner or in his own yard running around.

Sooo sad, regardless. A lot of times I understand when things like this happen or think people took the right action. In this case I do not whatsoever.

DJEtzel

Because recall is important to me to avoid things like this in the long run and I use a puppy's natural instincts to stay close to lay a fantastic foundation for recall and off leash behavior. I'm not tempting anything, if they attempt to run off when given choices on a lead and don't have the attention, then they aren't let off lead. But I learn that when they are small enough that they can't outrun me. And my puppies can get a lot more energy out of them at the park than they do my backyard.

Now I have a 10 month old puppy that I trust off lead anywhere and that is really a relief if anything were to happen.

Red Chrome

Off leash is off leash and there are leash laws more than likely where this took place. I don't agree with the way it was handled but.........why tempt date? Especially owning this breed. If the puppy would have been properly contained, this never would have happened.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
i cant believe the owner is being blamed for not leashing a 16 week old puppy.... really? An officer of the law "to protect and serve" unleashing deadly force and EIGHT ROUNDS on a puppy the size of his goddamn boot.... and we are blaming LACK OF A ****ING LEASH?

i cant believe the owner is being blamed for not leashing a 16 week old puppy.... really? An officer of the law "to protect and serve" unleashing deadly force and EIGHT ROUNDS on a puppy the size of his goddamn boot.... and we are blaming LACK OF A ****ING LEASH?
So reading, not your strong point? No one is forgiving the officers actions, they were deplorable, but seriously WTF wasn't it leashed, it's a fair question, it's law in pretty much any urban setting, and it would have saved this dogs life. And if you care to know, yep I have asked people who have come on forums whining about their dogs getting ran over, again leashed would have saved the lives if those dogs. I don't care who you are a 16 week old puppy doesn't not have a 100% recall, for its safety keep it leashed. This pup died because its owner failed to leash, thus protecting it from, in this case a cop, it could have been any armed person though, or some jackass kicking it, a car, a bike, or another dog.

Members online

No members online now.