Showing a rare breed

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
How exactly does that work? Let's say you're the only one in your state or very few in your state. Is there even a chance to get points? We never had that problem because there was always at least 10 papillons in every show, up to 50.

Just curious, really.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I don't consider mals very rare, but I would still have to travel several states away for a major and many of the shows here only have 1 or 2 entries in the breed. :p

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Well I am looking at Mudis. There are so few of them that finishing is so hard. Im basically guaranteed to NOT get breed points at the breed level because there will be no others at shows. I will have to get group placings to get points. Its the same (90% sure anyways) in the US just different point amounts, and calculations.

You would need a better dog than a more common breed to get the group placings because it is harder to get them with rare breeds.

Be prepared to take a LONG time to finish and doing most of it at the group level.

Unless you get a group of you who all have the same breed showing together enough to make majors, you may get your singles at breed level but you will probably only get majors in the group.

Depending on how rare your breed is of course. What are you looking at?

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I think the way points at the group level work is you get the highest amount of points awarded to the breeds you beat. Meaning if the Grp 4 breed was a 4 point major but your breed was only 2 points you get 4 points if you finished Grp 3-1. I think something like that anyways.

ETA: Here is the point schedual for your area. It doesnt say anything about group level points though http://images.akc.org/pdf/events/conformation/point_schedule/2013/2013PointSchedule_Div7.pdf

Romy

Taxiderpy
Group wins. Sometimes people with rarer breeds will team up to build majors at certain shows. Basically they just communicate so that everyone enters the same 2-3 shows in a year vs. spread out a bunch of single entries over 8+ shows.

Saeleofu

I'd have to travel at least to a bigger city to have any chance at majors with Logan. There's a collie specialty in June I think, but I'm not going to be able to make it.

Well, I have one of only 2 show-able bitches in my state, and the other is 3 hours away, and is rarely shown. I just plunked down over $300 for a show in New England, where someone actually managed to get majors built, it's about 6 hours drive one way, but there's the possibility for a 3-4 point major in bitches the days I entered. Note, "Possibility", my bitch is very show trained, but I know her style isn't always the judges favorite (that's not including her serious fault), and at least it doesn't look like yet there will be any paid handlers (all of us entered, will be sunk if that happens! as most the entries will be puppies). Then, at the end of the year, the breed parent club actually decided to hold their national specialty at my favorite yearly all breed show! That will more than likely be the LAST chance I'll get for a long time at any points. The breed is taking off, but it's still very hard to tell at this point if it'll ever be enough to result in a boost to the show ring, nearly all the other puppies from my bitches litter are spayed/neutered pets (except the one her breeder kept).

Members online

No members online now.