Boxer, Rottweiler, or Doberman Pinscher?

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
In my experience dobes are more affectionate the rottweilers and tend to learn faster. I also like dobes better (I like a long clean head) with looks. I do love rottweilers as well though, they are a great breed, but in my experience they can be slightly unpredictable. I think they percieve things differently to other dogs sometimes. This is not to say that they arn't stable, just with some rotties I am not always sure how they will react to things (thank god I'm not a force based trainer).

avenlee

I'm no expert in showmanship of dogs, but if I was to choose between a Rottie or Dobie ... I'd have to go with the Rottie. And that's only my opinion. Not at all based on the pluses or minuses of each breed.

nicco

Wolfpack
My opinion: I'd choose a dobie...I don't know how to explain why...the dobie is more delicate then the rottie..the rottie is too rough for me..
But that's MY opinion..

Kiss Kiss
Nicco

frznbuns

Just my 2 cents.. Doberman all the way. I know from the Dobermans that I have and the litter that I have had. They are VERY SMART. I start training my litter of puppies at 4 weeks. by the time they go home at 8 weeks, they are potty trained, walk on a leash, sit on command, and shake hands. Some are even laying down on command. My new rescue Iris is 15 months and came to us with no training and very little human contact. Now 3 weeks later, she sits on command, shakes hand, does a Down, heels, and knows several other commands. As I said DOBERMAN ALL THE WAY!! :D

showpug

I will say that ALL the dobies that I have met are incredibly loving and into their humans. They seem to be very agile, loving and talented when trained properly. I have never met an aggressive or unpredictable dobie EVER! In my mind, these dogs are more affectionate than labs and are always witing for you to hug and love them, not to mention their entertaining and clown like sense of humor. Rotts are nice too, but very different in temperment than a dobie...they seem to be more stoic and reserved and not as needy. ;)

Doberluv

Frznbuns, For some reason, I tend to agree with you. LOL. They're so dang smart, it's scary sometimes. LOL. My Dobe knows what I'm going to do sometimes before I know what I'm going to do. They pick up your meaning so quickly. Affectionate like no other dog I ever had, so loyal. Well, no wonder. Look what they were bred for. But they do have their moments of "creativity" in learning and can throw you for a loop. LOL.

Nicco, Dobermans are not delicate by any means, (other than possibly their digestive systems) They're solid muscle, very strong as well as agile and quick, extreme speed when at a full run. I just don't see them as being delicate. Perhaps you mean refined looking, more sleek, tight skin, wedge shaped head. I think they're so very handsome and smart. But I am biased. But they are definitely a handfull so if you're not an experienced person with other dogs, it is not advised to make a Doberman your first. They really aren't a dog everyone will like or want to put into. So, I'd do more research than what you find on the pet selector. Go meet some of these breeds and their owners....1st hand and do more reading. Good luck.

nicco

Wolfpack
Doberluv said:
Nicco, Dobermans are not delicate by any means, (other than possibly their digestive systems) They're solid muscle, very strong as well as agile and quick, extreme speed when at a full run. I just don't see them as being delicate. Perhaps you mean refined looking, more sleek, tight skin, wedge shaped head. I think they're so very handsome and smart. But I am biased. But they are definitely a handfull so if you're not an experienced person with other dogs, it is not advised to make a Doberman your first. They really aren't a dog everyone will like or want to put into. So, I'd do more research than what you find on the pet selector. Go meet some of these breeds and their owners....1st hand and do more reading. Good luck.
Yes Doberluv,that's what I ment to say :D : "refined looking, more sleek, tight skin, wedge shaped head"...and I ment more delicate then the rottie.... :p
Thanks for enlightening me

DoberAdmin

Crazy Dobe Owner
Before I made my decision to get a Doberman (long time ago) I did alot of research, met quite a few Dobes and Rotties. IMHO they both are very smart and capable canines in the "RIGHT" hands. They both can become a real handful if not trained and socialized properly.

I decided on a Doberman instead of a Rottie for a few reasons. And let me say I have no interest in showing my dog, I only wanted a loyal and loving family member.

1 - Dobermans are very clean animals - They do not slobber alot like the many Rotties I have seen and played with. Let a Rottie rub his face against you after playing with a toy or ball for 15 minutes, you will need a towell to clean that mess up. :)

2 - Dobermans although they do shed, they are very short haired dogs so their hair is very easy to clean up. The Rottie has a much longer coat and will require a little more grooming than a Dobie IMHO.

3 - Size - By design the Doberman is a very sleek, muscular dog that if in good health is lean and powerful. Rotties on the other hand are Bigger dogs as far as Mass is concerned, their heads and bodies are usually much larger than a Doberman of the same age and health. Their body weight in total is usually much more also.

Again theese are only my observations, both Rotties and Dobes are very trainable with the correct handler. They are both very smart and if raised properly will be great around family and children. The Doberman seems to be a little more aloof with strangers and will need to look things over for a little bit before accepting a new visitor.

And if you do decide on a Doberman be prepared to have a dog stuck to you like Velcro. Dobermans need to be with you all the time, they need to be included in your daily activities. They like to be with the family not locked up in a crate or left outside.

Good luck in your choice wichever it may be.

DA

Members online

No members online now.