out of control phoenix

luvmydogs

since we got magnum saturday, noting has changed. i still spend as much time with phoenix as i always do..maybe even more cus now the weather is nice again. i came home today after 2 hrs. i walked them both before (and after) and i came home to a disaster. he tore up paper, peed everywhere, chewed my shoes up and sevral other things/ i left toys out, but he never even touched them. of course he minute i got home, he went hiding...so i knew it was him. what happened to him?? he never did it before. and its not like we never had a second dog anyways besides him. when cujo was with us, they both got equal attention, just like magnum and phoenix do now. i am afraid of leaving the house. i can't crate him, he breaks the crate. he managed to open it several times. and when i put locks on te doors he pushed the top open and squeezed thru what looked like it hurt....i don't know what to do??????? oh, and i forot to mention...when theyre outside with me in the yard, i have to tie them on a stake, supervised of course, because they love being outside...but phoenix barks and barks and barks..only since a few days....please tell me what happened to superdog? LOL

Adrienne

Adjusting to a new dog is hard and stressful even if he has had other dogs around him before, it changes the pack around. This is his way of "acting" out like a child would if they got a new sibling. It will take him some time to adjust, be patient with him and make sure to pick up anything you don't want him getting ahold of while you are gone.

luvmydogs

i am afraid that if everything is gone..he will chew on the furniture.lol hmmm i guess u're right, i never thought of it...of course i'm the alpha male(female.lol) but magnum seems to "tell" phoenix what he can do and not do..and wth cujo it was the other way around..

Adrienne

May I ask what kind of crate he is able to break out of? I can't see a dog being able to get out of a "cage" crate. If Magnum is telling him what he can and can not do I can see why he is frustrated with this new situation!

A metal crate like this...

luvmydogs

its one of those black cages.the same kind u posted..and what i mean is when phoenix wants to play and magnum don't, he growls at phoenix...i call phoenix houdini, because sometimes i couldnt figure out how he got out.lol

Julie

I am back again.
I am just curious if you leave your dogs together when your not home?

I hope you can seperate them somehow.

With a new dog that big, it could be dangerous. I know if my dogs would have gotten into their big fights, when we were not home, it would have been to the death. And I'm not kidding. My well mannered loving female lab was the aggressor and now we are very careful with her. She looked like she had the devil in her, during one of her episodes.

And the growling that you said Magnum does, could be a warning to be very careful.

Make sure you educate your kids to run and get out of the way, if a dog fight would ever occur (not saying it will, but it can be very scary if it happens)

And anything in the way, would be at risk for severe dog bites.

I am sorry about the new behavoir of your Phoenix, but it will take time for pecking order, and excitement to die down from the change.

Good Luck,
Julie.

luvmydogs

thanks for the advice, and yes i do leave them together at home, which is probably so irresposible of me, but never reallly thought about it....my kids DO now about the dogs, and my 3 yr old even says: guys dont touch the dog till mommy says yes, and stuff like that..LOL of course i am elling them every day so they won't "forget" .i am going to try to pu phoenix in the kennel again, or magnum...but after magnum being in the pound behind bars, i doubt he will go in there. i will keep u guys updated once i leave the house and come back

Members online

No members online now.