trying to figure out mix of potential adoptee

tsb

my friend found a stray that she has since turned over to the humane society & i'm considering adopting him.

it's not the best pic. the humane society describes him as a border terrier/corgi mix. i don't dispute the corgi given the really short legs - much more obvious in person with the back legs being shorter than the front,
but i'm wondering if he doesn't have some chow in him, given the fur (he was shaved down because it got pretty matted according to someone at the humane society) and also since his tongue is dark in color along with the wideness of his face (which you really can't tell from that angle).

i bring this up because i've heard stories about how temperamental chows can be, although i imagine that the tendency would be diminished by cross-breeding.

when i first saw him in his pen he was a bit standoffish while the other dog in the pen approached me with the usual wagging tail. when i got him into a room where i could interact with him, he seemed quite a but more interested in the new surroundings even while i was petting him - until i stopped. but he did readily roll over & let me scratch his stomach after i started petting him.

any comments?

Adrienne

Can you tell us how much he weighs? Also if he is more interested in other going on's it may be harder to train him. You would have to find something to make yourself way more interesting than anything else which may be difficult to do. Also what is his age?

tcreed

Wow, he might have some havanese in him. But, hard to tell from the pick!

showpug

Terrier/Corgi :confused: LOL!!! I don't know about where you live, but the Humane Society workers here can't guess a breed to save their lives!! That dog looks like a chow mix to me. Check the tounge if you can and look for any signs of black pigment. He may have some terrier in there, but the chow part is obvious!!

Oh, and never assume that temperment is diminished through cross-breeding! I don't know enough about chows to advise you for or against, but even a chow mix can surley have none, some, or all of a chow temperment!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
not a clue. What an interesting looking pooch!

Ash47

Taco Dog
That is a very "different" looking dog. Cute nonetheless, but different. There has to be some Chow in there and maybe some Havanese along with some kind of other Terrier mix.

tsb

thanks for the prompt responses.

trying to answer/respond to the questions/comments in order:

- wt about 25-30 lbs;
- the HS guess is 2.5 years - but then they think he's a terrier/corgi mix;
- the havanese i've seen are a lot smaller;
- the tongue is black & his face is actually almost round - which led me to think chow mix when i first saw him;

i'm going to visit him again this afternoon. if i can i'll take a couple more pix. the lack of immiediate rapport compared to some other dogs does concern when it comes to trainability.

thanks again!

EliNHunter

What's a border terrier? Do you mean border collie? I don't see corgi, either. Definitely some terrier in there. I'm thinking some kind of a terrier and a lasa apso? (sp).

S

stirder

corgi is believable but hair is too long for a border terrier, unless god plaid a joke and combined some recessive genes from both breeds. I would bet chow isnt in there, looks too small and full grown. maybe some havanese, maltese, shitzu, possibly even bichon? dont know, a lot of possibilities.
oops, missed your post about his weight. well, I guess chow is possible if hes 20-30 pounds.

EliNHunter

Oh! I missed his weight, too! That definitely rules out only small breeds as the mix. I've never heard of a border terrier! Must do a Google :p

ETA: Just did! Cool looking little dogs... could be in the mix, for sure!

Just remember... if you get him... he's half of "this" and part of "that" and the rest is whatever you want him to be :D

Fran27

I don't see any border terrier in him. I don't see much corgi or chow in him either. Interesting mix, lol.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Without a doubt the black tongue is the first indicator of a chow mix. I really cant tell from the pic, but terrier maybe. Chows are often great companions but a chow mix I couldnt tell ya.

Members online