When your dog eats does it lay or stand?

Melissa_W

Hey showpug. When I was researching Great Danes, I read the exact opposite. Namely, that elevated bowls prevent "bloat". But a goodle search now tells me that there was a study done that indicates the exact opposite. :( So it seems like there is a split now, with some people saying that it prevents bloat, and others saying it causes it. :confused: I'm definitely going to have to look at that issue further. Thanks for pointing that out!

Debi

Melissa_W said:
Hey showpug. When I was researching Great Danes, I read the exact opposite. Namely, that elevated bowls prevent "bloat". But a goodle search now tells me that there was a study done that indicates the exact opposite. :( So it seems like there is a split now, with some people saying that it prevents bloat, and others saying it causes it. :confused: I'm definitely going to have to look at that issue further. Thanks for pointing that out!

I've found the same when I've researched...and find myself still confused. Some will say to raise the bowl, others say absolutely do NOT. I decided to 'lift' the bowls just a bit. just a couple inches off ground does seem more comfortable to my dogs...they do both stand to eat. :)

showpug

Debi said:
I've found the same when I've researched...and find myself still confused. Some will say to raise the bowl, others say absolutely do NOT. I decided to 'lift' the bowls just a bit. just a couple inches off ground does seem more comfortable to my dogs...they do both stand to eat. :)
There is so much conflicting information out there on the issue that I was confused for a long time too. Finally I just decided to with what seemed more natural. I lost a dog to bloat so I did some extensive research on it and read more often NOT to elevate. I guess we all just have to do what we feel is best for our dogs. :)

Debi

showpug said:
There is so much conflicting information out there on the issue that I was confused for a long time too. Finally I just decided to with what seemed more natural. I lost a dog to bloat so I did some extensive research on it and read more often NOT to elevate. I guess we all just have to do what we feel is best for our dogs. :)

I know, showpug...I became concerned because I also read that bloat is a huge issue for GSDs. the general thinking that they are especially prone to it, so raise the bowl. well, I was too leary due to other negatives. I only lifted the bowl 2 inches...think that may even be too high?? with Ham's long legs, he seemed to be stretching down so far. also...he burps a few times after eating. I assume that's a good thing, but wondered if it had to do with how he was leaning over?

My dog always lies down to eat, since she was a baby, 90 per cent of the times she eats that way. And she is not a big dog, she is a brittany, a middle size dog. But she drinks standing.

showpug

Debi said:
I know, showpug...I became concerned because I also read that bloat is a huge issue for GSDs. the general thinking that they are especially prone to it, so raise the bowl. well, I was too leary due to other negatives. I only lifted the bowl 2 inches...think that may even be too high?? with Ham's long legs, he seemed to be stretching down so far. also...he burps a few times after eating. I assume that's a good thing, but wondered if it had to do with how he was leaning over?
I know, it's such a scary thing. After loosing my dog to bloat I broke down and had the surgery done on my Great Dane where they surgically tack his stomach permanantly to the wall of his body (gastropexy) so it can't twist. They can still get bloat, but it's the torsion or twisting that is so fatal. When I was going through all of this I worked at the vet clinic and spent my days reading all the vet's books on the issue. I was an expert there for a while LOL!! :D

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Gus always stands! I think it's so he can vaccum it up as quickly as possible and he needs the extra height in order to do this! :D

bogolove

Brady stands, but he has the elevated bowls so that he can reach them better. My lazy fat cat lies down and scoops the food out of the bowl over to her to eat. She is so LAZY!

Members online

No members online now.