Best pet health insurance? Rara probably needs it...

kady05

yeah, i'd rather pay 50 bucks than a grand, but I certainly don't see how paying for the vet care i use 4-5 times in the course of a year for the life of an animal makes any sense either. Even when I take out a mortgage i'm not paying that much above what i'm getting and I get to live in a house at least.
My view of insurance is that it is extremely beneficial when it comes to accidents and injuries. Routine vet care, not worth it IMO. Case in point, my dog Piper.

I spent over $6k in vet bills over about a year & a half on her 2 TTA's plus rehab after both. I was always one of those "I'll just put away what I'd spend on insurance in an account each month".. even if I was putting away $100/month, that's only $1200/year, not even close to covering her surgeries, etc. So yeah, it'd be kind of annoying (not that you WANT to have to utilize the insurance) to drop $40-50/month on insurance and never use it. But for me, after having spent what I did, it's well worth the peace of mind.

Anyway, back to companies and such.

I'm looking into getting it for my boys, both of whom have no pre existing conditions. We met with Trupanion, Pets Best & VPI where I work and we liked Pets Best the best. VPI has all of these weird payment schedules, and Trupanion does a per incident deductible (ex. You pay a $200 deductible for a TTA surgery, then your dog eats something it shouldn't, you have to pay another $200 deductible for that surgery). Pets Best is straightforward, they cover 70, 80 or 90%, and you pick the deductible.

Embrace Pet Insurance is another good one, they're similar to Pets Best. Pet Plan is the one that I will more than likely go with though. I started working for a new clinic and they're offering a 20% discount off of your premium. They also cover hereditary conditions, which is a nice one that many companies don't. Only negative is that they're structured somewhat similar to Trupanion with the per incident deductible, which is annoying to me. Other than that, they sound like a great company.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
I would definitely consider pet insurance for puppies/young dogs. When there aren't any pre-existing conditions, and the premiums are low, and whatnot.

Personally, I went with the savings/CareCredit route. I had a "veterinary" account that I out money into each paycheck, and then I used CareCredit as well. If I had a $500 vet bill, I put the whole thing on CareCredit, and paid it off within six months (interest free period) using the money from my "vet account" - at the same time while still contributing to it from my paycheck. That way my CareCredit balance never got super high, and my account balance didn't get too low.

I work at a clinic right now, and we get AMAZING discounts. So I'm contributing less to the veterinary account now.
I have yet to need to use my Trupanion (yay!), but my understanding is that they can't really say anything is pre-existing with Siri because she's been insured since she's been a 12 week old puppy. I also went ahead and switched my deductible to $0, and I have Rider A (covers all the extra crap like chiro and such), and my bill is still only $50 per month.
Dang, I wish we started Trupanion with Rara as a puppy like with Siri, in this case. Starting now, it's really possible they will claim new health issues as pre-existing, even if we haven't been to the vet for it before.
And I'll run the CareCredit route by my mom. :)

The thing with just putting money into savings, is that when things come up that you aren't prepared for... do you really have enough money put away to cover the cost? Even if I just have a $1000 bill, if I'm putting away $50 a month into savings it's still going to take me almost 2 years to have that amount saved up.

It's definitely less expensive to start them as puppies, and your monthly premium is also going to be affected by how many dogs of your breed are registered. The more claims that are filed amongst your breed = higher premiums for all dogs of that breed. So if you have 2 unhealthy dogs of breed XYZ but there are only 10 XYZ that are registered, statistically it looks like an unhealthy breed that is going to cost the company a lot of money. But if you have those same 2 unhealthy dogs except there are 100 dogs registered... they look a little healthier now. We were told that folks with goldendoodles and the like should just suck it up and register their dog as a "mixed breed" because the pool of dogs will be much greater, and therefore their monthly premium will be lower.
This is good information.. I'll need to register Rara as "mixed breed", if I do (technically, she kind of is? Maybe 3 generations ago.. LOL). Thanks!
I'll always have enough money to drop on medical issues for my dogs, but it just hurts quite a bit when the issue is something larger, like a surgery.

From the looks of it, it's probably better for us to just go the savings route with Rara, with her being at her age already and a few actual pre-existing issues.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
With older dogs and pre-existing issues, it's pretty much pointless to do insurance imo. I've looked into it with Mia and Summer and it's just too much to cover too little. They've already got the issues that they will likely have (or a lot of them).

With Hank I looked into it but opted against it. I just feel like I am better off using my emergency funds/credit card/care credit. If I had a bill higher than all that combined then well... it would probably be a treatment that would be more than I was willing to put my dog through anyways.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Overall, thank you for the good info and thoughts, you guys! Showing this thread to my mom.

With older dogs and pre-existing issues, it's pretty much pointless to do insurance imo. I've looked into it with Mia and Summer and it's just too much to cover too little. They've already got the issues that they will likely have (or a lot of them).

With Hank I looked into it but opted against it. I just feel like I am better off using my emergency funds/credit card/care credit. If I had a bill higher than all that combined then well... it would probably be a treatment that would be more than I was willing to put my dog through anyways.
Thanks and agreed- I believe we will just go with the savings at this point. Anything that happens to her, especially a large surgery for whatever reason, we'd be very willing to go forward with too.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
That's still 600 a year, and is it good at any vet or just certain vets? and does it go up as your dog gets older? I can't imagine spending 600 a year for "insurance" over the course of 10-15 years. Over 12 years that's 7200 dollars. In the past 15 I've had one instance of about 800 bucks I had to spend on a surgery. Otherwise it's rabies shots every 3 years, and I can get those for about 2 months worth of premiums.

My vet is a Trupanion Express clinic, so we're good there. Though it can be used at any vet, mine just makes it easier to use. Premium will not go up as she ages with this company.

In my mind, she could get hit by a car tomorrow (obviously lets hope she doesn't!) and have a $7,000 or more vet bill and I don't have to blink before saying DO IT! I don't have to worry about the money. It's just a non-issue. For me, that's worth $50 a month. I don't even have to think about my answer there.

xpaeanx

yeah, i'd rather pay 50 bucks than a grand, but I certainly don't see how paying for the vet care i use 4-5 times in the course of a year for the life of an animal makes any sense either. Even when I take out a mortgage i'm not paying that much above what i'm getting and I get to live in a house at least.
I am so confused by this statement. If you mortgage out 100k, at 3.92%, for 30 years you would end up paying $170,000 when all is said and done.... That's more than half of what you originally borrowed being payed as interest. And those numbers aren't that extreme either.

I am so confused by this statement. If you mortgage out 100k, at 3.92%, for 30 years you would end up paying $170,000 when all is said and done.... That's more than half of what you originally borrowed being payed as interest. And those numbers aren't that extreme either.
what's confusing? I never intended to mean paying for pet insurance cost more than a mortgage. I was saying, paying a mortgage, I don't pay for a house 5 times over like pet insurance AND i'm getting a HOUSE out of it.

If pet insurance only made me pay 60% more than I normally would, it would make a lot more sense. 5 times as much? and then out of 5 animals maybe one would payout in any given year??? can't see how that makes financial sense at all.

Rescued

Thank you everyone for your responses! This post was initially caught up in moderation and I forgot it existed since it didn't get posted right away. Just remembered as I was coming back from the vet with my other dog (routine vax).

I had started to look into companies and had bookmarked a lot of things and typed some notes into computer. Apparently when it rains it pours and my computer died and lost everything yesterday, no backups like I thought I had.

Until it gets fixed and I can see things on a non-phone screen I'll have to hold off looking for insurance since it's just obnoxiously impossible to do serious internetting on an iPhone. Am wondering overall if I might have just hit a rough patch that should "let up"- I have a failed foster in addition to the lab, a little puppy mill thing that wasn't supposed to survive past 4 months and so I kept her. She is now 17 months (definitely an awesome thing!!!!) but obviously with every weird genetic issue known to man she can run up some vet bills. Between the two I spent $800 in 5 weeks (lab chipped tooth and needed extraction, both are due for yearly physical and bloodwork in same month, she needed her last booster vax which have to be spaced and given with Benadryl, and gum incident) and so my monthly "add money to this for vet costs" fund was wiped out in those 5 weeks. Thinking (hoping!) that it was a fluke and we should be good for a while.

That being said, if anyone knows of ANY insurance that will cover preexisting conditions let me know- never was able to find one and would jump on that chance if I could get it for the little one. She has VSD, collapsing trach, luxating patellas, and cranial sublux and has been in foster at my house since 2 weeks old so they're all obviously considered very pre existing. Will have a look at the other thread someone posted above!

Members online

No members online now.