Breeds that aren't your cup of tea.

How can people not love the oily retriever coat! I want to figure out how to bottle Chessie oil as a replacement for mink oil. Ruby's leather collar is so soft and perfect, whereas Buster's... needs more mink oil.

Generally, I don't go for dogs that need active grooming. Don't brush a Lab, it sheds all over your house. Don't brush a poodle.. the tangles. I don't mind the shedding, even a Malamute would be fine if it sheds without matting.

JayBear

We've always had collies/corgi's or crosses of. I'd want to down size (from Border Collie size) if I got another but Lancashire Heelers I've heard are more like terriers behaviour wise and Corgi's are very hard to get in UK now, they're a vulnerable breed over here.

I wouldn't want anything that needed professional clipping and I'm not keen on terriers cos all the ones I've know have been yappy same for tiny breeds such as chihuahua's so thats pretty much most of the small breed section out..lol!

It would probably end up being a smaller older cross roughly between jack russell and cavalier size) and go on temperament and personality. I read once the more crosses are in a dog that less it will have specific behaviours of one breed. eg a dog whose parents were a bc x cairn and whippet X lab may not have too many ingrained traits of any of the single breeds?

ACooper

Chihuahuas top my "never own" list. My husband's family all have Chihuahuas (poorly behaved Chihuahuas) and that has sealed the "no chi rule" here. So much that I wouldn't even consider a chi MIX of any kind!

There are plenty of other breeds I probably wouldn't own for one reason or another, but NEVER a Chihuahua....EVER! I think at this point, even being around some really great Chihuahuas wouldn't undo the damage.

I can't see myself owning many breeds. There's only about 10 breeds I could own, and want. All the others, I don't really care too much about, aha.

Choosing the right dog for you is as important as choosing a pet whose needs you can meet. There are a variety of decisions that should be carefully thought out when contemplating making a pet a part of the family. Great tips here!

noludoru

Bored Now.
Labs - all the ones I've met stare at me blankly. Its like the wheel is still turnin' but the hamster is dead. Don't get me wrong, super sweet dogs...just...no.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

No Labs. Ever. No retrieving breeds, even. If you clearly have nothing going on upstairs, I'm out.

No shepherd or husky type coats.

No small dogs.

Psyfalcon- I hate the coat because it sheds and stinks. People who don't bathe their retrievers biweekly actually start to smell like dog stank. Their houses reek and are covered in fur.

Members online