Favorite ear cleaner?

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
What does everyone prefer to use for swabbing out their dogs' ears? I know a lot of dogs have self-cleaning ears that never get smelly or gunky. Brisbane has had ear infections, yeast issues, and now just tends to produce a bit of goop that I like to get out of there.

At work we use something called Zap Ear. What do you use?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Epi-Otic Advanced. Love it.

We use Malacetic Otic at work, and I love it as well, although I hate the way it smells. I've gotten used to it, though, so I'll probably pick up a bottle of it next time I'm in need of ear cleaner.

Grab

Malecetic otic is awful...I think it smells like rotten plums. I don't care for the Epi-otic smell either. I did get Aurocin CM Cucumber melon scented wash that we used to have at work and I loved that. Worked great and a pleasant scent.

I also used Espree Ear cleaner at the self service dog wash and it was great with a pleasant peppermint scent. It's probably my favorite. If I could consistently be around peppermint scents, I'd have it at home. It worked so well.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
A small amount of vinegar and water. Only clean about 1x a year, if that, depending on how dirty they are. So classy.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I cant remember the name but there's a tea tree oil based cleaner I've gotten at petco that I like. It might be made by naturvet?

Otherwise I've been using Triz Ultra which is more of a medicated cleaner but I was using it when Cajun had an infection. I like it, it doesn't smell gross, I figure I'll just continue using it aa long as I have a bottle.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I use the Blue Power Wash PW gave me like.... 6-8 years ago. It's still amazing. I JUST ran out and have been considering buying/making more, actually. I used it a lot on my roomies' Vizsla, who had chronic ear issues. She left for trips with a dog who had a nasty ear infection, and when she came home her dog had better looking ears than the other two.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=....com/Adobe/Blue%20Power%20Ear%20Treatment.pdf

It stains like a MOFO, though. I will recommend that you wear clothes you hate and do it outside. It will stain porcelain, linoleum, wood, anything.

ACooper

About every 2 weeks I 'damp cloth' their ears out. After a bath, or in Crowley's case, a water romp (Orson does not get wet unless mandated, LOL) I use an isopropyl alcohol with equal parts white vinegar solution, and put about 6-8 drops in each ear....rub it around and let the dogs shake it out.

Luckily, neither one has ear troubles so I can be a bit lax without any issues.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Used zap ear and epiotic when I was still grooming. Both worked, zap smelled more like alcohol and dried faster so I preferred that. I could use it after bathing a dog and it wouldn't leave any oily nasty residue on the clean coat.

Dogs with hair growing in their ears got powdered and plucked, then cleaned with the solution.

Dogs with upright and relatively clean ears still got their ear flaps rubbed with cleaner and a cotton pad.

Sparrow

This thread is exactly what I need. Rook has had ear trouble the entire time I've had her. The inbred/hoarding situation she came from lead to dozens of husky-type and retriever-type dogs all with under-sized button ears. It's the hallmark of the location she was rescued from. When we rescued the "pack" her ears were solid black inside.

She has since been through various prescriptions and had them cleaned deep during her spay, and still the issues continue. I have to clean them religiously. I want to pluck them but am afraid it would be a tough process on such a soft dog (I'm really new to this soft dog business.) I'm working on dietary changes hoping that will help, but finding a food her GI tract can handle is difficult.

Can anyone say anything good or bad about this one? http://www.chewy.com/dog/zymox-otic-pet-ear-treatment/dp/54784

It's what I'm considering next. I've used everything I can get my hands on locally.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
The vet has recommended that I start doing an ear flush with something, rather than just swabbing Brisbane's ears our. I just ordered some of the Phoenix ear wash, I hope it smells good!

Members online

No members online now.