Farmina food

JacksonsMom

So this is a food that's new to the US, but it's made in Italy for a while, so not "new".

So excited to start feeding - picky Jackson went nutso for the wild boar GF sample, so that's the first bag I bought on chewy.com, but even the low-grain foods look amazing and I'll try one of those next. It should arrive tomorrow at my house!

Just in time too since Acana continues to keep adding a bagillion lentils and peas to their foods, including their LID duck which he's always done great on, so I was disappointed to find that out (Jax does not do as well w/ tons of peas, lentils, or pea protein, etc, bigger poop, softer, etc) but at least we've got a new food! Our local store is getting a shipment in next week too.

http://www.chewy.com/s?dept=dog&query=farmina&nav-submit-button.x=15&nav-submit-button.y=26

http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/product/grain-free-wild-boar-recipe

Their quality control seems to be in check, dehydrated meat vs. meal, low ash content, extremely palatable (according to everyone I know who got samples), large kibble size (this could be a plus to some), no vegetable protein boosters.

I e-mailed back and forth for a bit to find out more info and they answered all of my questions in depth. But basically they have 6 staff veterinarians on staff and 20 other professionals with advanced scientific degrees. Two of their people are fellows to the European equivalent of the AVMA. They do extensive testing with the University of Milan and Naples. The company has been around since 1965 and is owned by the Russo family. The food we sampled was tested for 24 months in three published studies for safety before they were put on the market.

Basically, if you care about QC but also ingredients, try this food out.

I'll report back after a few weeks of feeding the wild boar formula. It was hard to judge from a sample bag (but quite a large sample bag, I might add), but he did love it and had no ill effects even when fed cold turkey. But I guess we'll know more in a few weeks at least. :D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Ugh, chicken. :mad:

That is all.

(Whenever I find a new food there is a small piece of me that holds out hoping that Frodo will be able to eat it. ALWAYS CHICKEN! OR EGGS! CHICKEN AND EGGS ARE THE DEBBIL!)

JacksonsMom

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have enough fish based foods that he can have. I'm always on the lookout for beef/bison/rabbit/pork ones that he can have :)

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I might try it when snitch is older. Even though their low grain is an ALS food it's too high in protein for me to feel comfortable giving it to a puppy.

JacksonsMom

I kind of like the looks of that! I'll have to check out prices.
The GF are definitely on the pricier side. But the low-grain foods are fairly comparable to others. Luckily, with one small dog, getting a 5.5lb bag for $20 is okay when it lasts us over a month :p but I do understand when feeding bigger dogs, it can be pretty costly.

The low grain chicken is $46 for a 26.4lb bag, whereas the grain free one is $64.99 for the same size. So yeah. I honestly wouldn't mind feeding the low-grain ones myself, and might try a bag next time. I went with boar this time because that's the flavor I already knew he liked. But I'm definitely going to rotate around a bit.

My local store said their prices will be lower then Chewy.com when it arrives next week.

JacksonsMom

I might try it when snitch is older. Even though their low grain is an ALS food it's too high in protein for me to feel comfortable giving it to a puppy.
The 30%? I thought that was fairly typical for a puppy food?

Their calcium/phosphorus levels are not too high, and the ash is very low :)

Members online

No members online now.