Can dogs eat fruit??????????????????

candaceluvspebbles

#1 Animal lover :)
:) Hi :)
Ive been told by soo many people that fruit can be eaten by dogs without harming them,is that true???
Ive got a passionfruit tree outside the back and my dogs keep taking them,even ones still attached to the tree.Whenever i take the fruit away from them especially the oldest,Bella (9 yrs old)they get really angry and run under the house with them.I think that dogs cant eat fruit but i dont really know for sure.
Some lady on a forum said she fed her pregnant dog fresh fruit and veg and said her dog loved it and had a healthy litter of pups but then i saw another thread that said its bad and can cause them to vomit and become very sick.
Hope you's can help :)
Candace

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Some fruit is okay. I am unsure of the kind you are speaking of though. You may want to search through the Dog Food and Recipes forum for more ideas. My boys eat tons of fresh fruit and veggies.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It really depends on what type of fruit it is. Grapes and Raisins are deadly. Apples are great...my bunch won't leave me along when I'm eating an apple until I share part of it with them.

If you can't find anything in Dog Food, look at www.dogfoodproject.com. Or just do a google search about "dogs" and "passionfruit".

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Just wanted to add that apples are great for dogs (my two love them) , but the core of the apple is not. ;)

mrsgrubby

It's the apple seeds that can make a dog sick, so try not to let them have too many seeds. My dogs love bananas' too!!!

I don't know about passion fruit though, call your vet and ask them. They should know for sure.

AmyN

Here's a list of some bad foods for dogs, several of which are fruits:

Apple - The seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which can result in cyanide poisoning.

Apricot - The seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which can result in cyanide poisoning.

Avocado - Avocado contains a toxic element called persin which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. Avocadoes are high in fat content and can trigger an upset stomach, vomiting or even pancreatitis... Since avocado is the main ingredient in guacamole be sure and keep your dog out of the dip.

Cherries - The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.

Citrus Oil Extracts - Citrus oil extracts ave been known to cause vomiting.

Grapes or Raisins - Although the minimum lethal dosage is not known, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

Peaches - The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.

Pears - The seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.

Plums - The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning.

Tomatoes and Tomato Plants (tomatoes are actually fruits) - These contain atropine which can cause dialated pupils, tremors and irregular heartbeat. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, next is the unripe (green) tomatoes and then the ripe tomato.

-- From http://mooreshaven.com/pets/dogs/safety/badfoodslist.html - where many other dangerous foods are listed. There's nothing specifically about passionfruit, but it seems to be the seeds that are the problem with most fruits, so it could very well be a problem.

Trent

I understand that this is an old thread, but I wanted to clear up the matter just in case somebody still stumbles upon this thread looking for answer to the question whether dogs can eat fruit or not.

Well, while AmyN is right, and the seeds of most fruits do contain cyanide, which is poisonous not only to our canine friends but to as well, some fruits themselves are still good.

For an example apples are still good for dogs to eat if you remove the seeds.

Of course you shouldn't feed your dog an excessive amount of fruits, though, as that could cause diarrhea.

chad88

Because it's the seeds that tend to be the problem where fruit is concerned, and because passion fruit have plenty of seeds, it's probably advisable not to let a dog eat this fruit. Nevertheless, I had a dog who also had a penchant for passion fruit and he was as healthy as healthy can be, irrespective of his passion for the fruit. Rules are not always set in stone... :)

Members online

No members online now.