My dog and his friends...

Hello everyone!
I have a question...as always, lol...anyways, I enrolled Teddy in Therapy dogs for the St. John's Ambulance. Y'know, where you take your dog to various old folks homes, the hospital, etc. ...but they have to be good around other dogs and behave very , very well on a leash. But the problem is, Teddy gets extremely silly even on a leash around other dogs, but otherwise hes an absolute doll! I suppose all dogs are like this but I was just wondering if any of you guys happen to know of any way of sorta training it out of him... :confused: Well please let me know if you do, im open to anything!
Have a great day! :)

Making the whole doggy social scene "old hat" should take care of the problem. Get him out on a leash where there are other dogs every chance you get. When he starts paying attention to the other dogs, distract him and get his attention back on you, then make it worth his while with praise and petting. That should help teach him to behave with more decorum when he's around other dogs.

Thankyou for your suggestion!
I will try that! By the way...I forgot to mention that the evaluation was today, and Teddy got in! The 'judge' said he'd be a hit with the old folks and that he was great! And of course he had to be as silly as possible, but he was great other than that! Well thankyou very much for your suggestion I will try to socialize him more, and now that I think about it, that was clearly his problem due to the fact that he's an only dog. Well thanx again!

Glad Teddy passed! You'll have a wonderful time. My Bear (GSD/Akita) and Gonzo (blue tomcat) were both certified therapy animals through the University of Tennessee. They loved getting cleaned up, well, they didn't necessarily love the weekly bath, but other than that they loved putting on their HABIT bandanas and going to visit. We were assigned to a runaway shelter and a shelter for abused women and children.

Members online

No members online now.