Lethal Gas and yogurt question

I've been slowly adding supplements to my dogs' kibble each day, and about 6 weeks ago I started addeding a scoop of plain, unflavored yogurt with live cultures. It occurred to me tonight that Angel has not released her toxic amnesia gas in several weeks.

I know dogs are lactose intolerant, which theoretically the live and active cultures should be breaking down the lactose. I am thinking that Angel's lack of farting means that she's tolerating the yogurt well.

Is there a risk of making a scoop (< 1/4 cup) of yogurt a daily supplement? Should I watch out for anything to alert me to them not tolerating it? I'd assume runny poops and bad gas, but I'm not seeing that.

Lyzelle

As long as she tolerates it, there isn't any harm in giving yogurt. I used to give it to my dogs for gas and as a filler as well. Nothing wrong with it unless they don't tolerate it.

Barb04

Super Moderator
You can also use plain Kefir which has lots of probiotics in it and is lactose free if a dog has problems with regular yogurt.

Ahh I hadn't even considered kefir. That's a good idea. I'm just watching the girls for now (they both get yogurt). So far, we haven't had any issues with signs that they aren't tolerating it.

I'm very pleased with the results thus far. It's wonderful to snuggle my girl without risking being gassed. I can imagine that it must be nice for her as well to not be so gassy all the time.

Members online

No members online now.