Foods containing euthanasia drug

BlueChaos

I'm not sure if this has been already posted, but thought I'd share anyways, EPA document stating where byproducts are coming from, including animal shelters:
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/ap42/ch09/final/c9s05-3.pdf
"Meat rendering plants process animal by-product materials for the production of tallow, grease, and high-protein meat and bone meal. Plants that operate in conjunction with animal slaughterhouses or poultry processing plants are called integrated rendering plants. Plants that collect their raw materials from a variety of offsite sources are called independent rendering plants. Independent plants obtain animal by-product materials, including grease, blood, feathers, offal, and entire animal carcasses, from the following sources: butcher shops, supermarkets, restaurants, fast-food chains, poultry processors, slaughterhouses, farms, ranches, feedlots, and animal shelters."

M

mutts

That's just so disturbing... I feed my dog grain free Acana. It's a very healthy food (albeit a little pricey but I only have one dog and she's worth it).

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I feed nature variety instinct who to my knowledge hasn't been effected by the recall, it's hard to keep up with all thr changes to the DF scene, my head spins sometimes lol.

muzaffar

What I've learned is that the only safe dog food is one you make at home. Barring that we're working with less than complete information from the manufacturers. I was burned with Innova and guess what, Natural Balance is made at the Diamond facility so good luck with that. It's a crapshoot.

Hello Dogdragoness,
Nature Variety Instinct is OK but some have huge amounts of starch.

The Instinct Raw Boost Chicken Meal Formula has tapioca as a second ingredient which is very troubling, meat should be the first four or five ingredients like Orijen. If starch was only used as a binder it would be the fifth or six ingredient.

Remember, a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet is the absolute best, no discussion needed. Good luck,Roger Biduk

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yes I have since switched them to back to basics pork, which lists organ meats as their first 3 ingredients. It's a little pricy (like $60 for a 25 lb bag) but they're so healthy, happy & look so good that its worth it.

To Sarah, who's feeding Purina One Sensitive System and hopes it doesn't hurt her puppy's stomach. I'm sorry to say that there is no way a dog can or will stay healthy on this crap.
There isn't even one Purina product that is any good for the health of cats/dogs.

Most of Purina’s main ingredients are dangerous at best and poisonous at worst.
Did you know that Purina products were recalled by the FDA in 2007 for poisoning cats and dogs? I guess they forgot to put that on their website.

Main ingredients: Salmon (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, pearled barley, oat meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal, salmon meal, animal digest, menadione sodium bisulfite complex.

Brewers rice, pearled barley, oat meal – Grains are among the worst, cheapest ingredients and have NEVER been part of a balanced, species-appropriate diet for dogs or cats. Found in very low quality pet foods that use cheap grains instead of more expensive meat as a protein source. Holistic vet will tell you that grains cause most, if not all of the degenerative diseases that pet owners pay vets thousands of dollars to treat.

Corn gluten meal - Really bad stuff! Waste product, pure junk, very poor protein source. Widely used as a weed suppressant, herbicide and fertilizer for lawns. One of the worst (and cheapest) ingredients in pet food.
Corn gluten is often imported from China and could be very dangerous.
Corn gluten is a useless, cheap filler. The remainder of the corn after the best parts of the corn have been removed. Better used as a popular weed suppressant, herbicide and fertilizer than an ingredient in pet food.
It is the by-product after the manufacture of corn syrup or starch, and is the dried residue after the removal of the bran, germ, and starch.
It does absolutely nothing for the animal, is used as a cheap binder and cats and dogs cannot digest it.
Corn gluten is highly allergenic, adds sugar and is a very poor protein source. Major source of pet allergies and a host of other problems in cats and dogs.
Sugar causes diabetes, hypoglycemia, weight gain, nervousness and fearful behavior, cataracts, ill health in general and a host of other symptoms and diseases leading to premature death..
Corn gluten triggers seizures, skin problems such as itching and excessive shedding, ear and eye infections and causes irritable bowel problems.
Pet foods containing quality ingredients never, ever use any corn products or corn derivatives in any of their foods.

Menadione sodium bisulfite - Very cheap, synthetic version of vitamin K.
Can be highly toxic in high doses. Hazard information regarding menadione lists “carcinogenic effects” and states “the substance is toxic to kidneys, lungs, liver, mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

Animal digest - Very bad stuff! A cooked-down, disgusting broth used for flavor rendered by chemical and/or enzymatic process.
This particular ingredient is anonymous, meaning it doesn’t even specify the source animals because the manufacturers don’t know what they are!
Made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. The origin of the animals are definitely suspect, as they aren’t named. If the manufacturers wanted you to know what the sources were, they’d name them.
As if that’s not bad enough, according to the FDA it is probable that animal digest contains the lethal drug pentobarbital which is used to euthanize diseased cats and dogs.
This is very problematic because pentobarbital can withstand the heat from rendering, meaning it stays in the food!
This also means that there may be euthanized cats and dogs in animal digest along with the disease (cancer, tumors, etc.) the animal died from!
There is no control over quality or contamination.

Fish Oil - Generic product name, usually waste not fit for human consumption. Could be from rancid fish, high mercury content and may contain ethoxyquin, a known carcinogen.
This particular ingredient is anonymous, meaning it doesn’t even specify the fish source because the manufacturers don’t know what they are!
Made from unspecified parts of unspecified fish. The origin of the fish are definitely suspect, as they aren’t named. If the manufacturers wanted you to know what the sources were, they’d name them.
Found in low quality pet food.
Pet foods containing quality ingredients never, ever use fish oil in any of their products. They always name a fish source such as more expensive salmon oil.

An enzyme-rich, balanced raw meat diet is best, no discussion needed.
Next is wet food, grain-free, low starch.
Last is kibble with the same criteria as wet.
The absolute worst is kibble from brands such as Purina, Pedigree, Iams, Eukanuba, Hills Prescription Diet, ‘Ol Roy, Science Diet, etc. Good luck, Roger Biduk

yes, the things which are possible to find in Internet are shocking and make to open eyes widely sometimes. According to all pet food reviews http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/animal-feed.html all pet owners have to switch to raw food or homemade diets.
Hi Nelly,
You're absolutely right about that.
If they don't want to make their own, pet owners can also buy a good frozen or freeze-dried commercial raw food diet at a pet food store that sells the good stuff.

ALL commercial dog food is bad for your dog! Nutro is one of the worst! There are some organic foods that are good, but they cost an arm and a leg! The truth about commercial dog food is the pet food companies are cutting corners and putting things into it that can kill your dog.

There may be a lot of people who disagree with me here, but I've been doing my research. Just because the package says it's good for your dog doesn't mean anything. Even the AAFCO standards and guidelines can be very misleading.

The best food to feed your dog is a home cooked diet. Yeah I know they say that the dog won't get the proper nutrients blah blah blah, but before there was even commercial dog food, dogs were eating table scraps and food from the local butcher shop. I'm not a real believer in RAW diets, but home cooked is fine.
Hello scrofford,

You're right about most of the commercial food out there.
But you should believe in raw meat diets because before there was table scraps there was raw food.
A species-appropriate diet is naturally always best.

Home cooked isn't fine because as soon as the temperature of meat goes over 115 degrees enzymes, amino acids and nutrients in general start to get destroyed.

A balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet is best (homemade, bought frozen or freeze-dried).

Yeah not all kibble is created the same, bad equal. Ther are some good brands out ther but you have to stay up on the research.
Hello Dogdragoness,

People just have to read the labels.
The "big seven" ... Purina, Hill's Prescription, Pedigree, Iams, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Science Diet will get away with what they can ingredient-wise till they get caught... like recently in Spain.

Davey

Total BS

This is such total BS I had to reply. To say purina food is crap is absurd to say the least. Purina Pro Plan is the food of choice amount breeders, and I think they know a thing or two about raising healthy dogs. A company like Purina stays in business so long by producing food that helps dogs live long healthy lives. Please show me one person that has some sort of actual proof that purina dog food killed or other wise harmed their dog. Show me some actual scientific study that shows the food to be harmful to pets. You can't because there isn't. All you have are the rantings of uninformed pet lovers, that no doubt mean well, but really have no qualifications at all to render such judgements about a particular dog food.

To Sarah, who's feeding Purina One Sensitive System and hopes it doesn't hurt her puppy's stomach. I'm sorry to say that there is no way a dog can or will stay healthy on this crap.
There isn't even one Purina product that is any good for the health of cats/dogs.

Most of Purina’s main ingredients are dangerous at best and poisonous at worst.
Did you know that Purina products were recalled by the FDA in 2007 for poisoning cats and dogs? I guess they forgot to put that on their website.

Main ingredients: Salmon (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, pearled barley, oat meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal, salmon meal, animal digest, menadione sodium bisulfite complex.

Brewers rice, pearled barley, oat meal – Grains are among the worst, cheapest ingredients and have NEVER been part of a balanced, species-appropriate diet for dogs or cats. Found in very low quality pet foods that use cheap grains instead of more expensive meat as a protein source. Holistic vet will tell you that grains cause most, if not all of the degenerative diseases that pet owners pay vets thousands of dollars to treat.

Corn gluten meal - Really bad stuff! Waste product, pure junk, very poor protein source. Widely used as a weed suppressant, herbicide and fertilizer for lawns. One of the worst (and cheapest) ingredients in pet food.
Corn gluten is often imported from China and could be very dangerous.
Corn gluten is a useless, cheap filler. The remainder of the corn after the best parts of the corn have been removed. Better used as a popular weed suppressant, herbicide and fertilizer than an ingredient in pet food.
It is the by-product after the manufacture of corn syrup or starch, and is the dried residue after the removal of the bran, germ, and starch.
It does absolutely nothing for the animal, is used as a cheap binder and cats and dogs cannot digest it.
Corn gluten is highly allergenic, adds sugar and is a very poor protein source. Major source of pet allergies and a host of other problems in cats and dogs.
Sugar causes diabetes, hypoglycemia, weight gain, nervousness and fearful behavior, cataracts, ill health in general and a host of other symptoms and diseases leading to premature death..
Corn gluten triggers seizures, skin problems such as itching and excessive shedding, ear and eye infections and causes irritable bowel problems.
Pet foods containing quality ingredients never, ever use any corn products or corn derivatives in any of their foods.

Menadione sodium bisulfite - Very cheap, synthetic version of vitamin K.
Can be highly toxic in high doses. Hazard information regarding menadione lists “carcinogenic effects” and states “the substance is toxic to kidneys, lungs, liver, mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

Animal digest - Very bad stuff! A cooked-down, disgusting broth used for flavor rendered by chemical and/or enzymatic process.
This particular ingredient is anonymous, meaning it doesn’t even specify the source animals because the manufacturers don’t know what they are!
Made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. The origin of the animals are definitely suspect, as they aren’t named. If the manufacturers wanted you to know what the sources were, they’d name them.
As if that’s not bad enough, according to the FDA it is probable that animal digest contains the lethal drug pentobarbital which is used to euthanize diseased cats and dogs.
This is very problematic because pentobarbital can withstand the heat from rendering, meaning it stays in the food!
This also means that there may be euthanized cats and dogs in animal digest along with the disease (cancer, tumors, etc.) the animal died from!
There is no control over quality or contamination.

Fish Oil - Generic product name, usually waste not fit for human consumption. Could be from rancid fish, high mercury content and may contain ethoxyquin, a known carcinogen.
This particular ingredient is anonymous, meaning it doesn’t even specify the fish source because the manufacturers don’t know what they are!
Made from unspecified parts of unspecified fish. The origin of the fish are definitely suspect, as they aren’t named. If the manufacturers wanted you to know what the sources were, they’d name them.
Found in low quality pet food.
Pet foods containing quality ingredients never, ever use fish oil in any of their products. They always name a fish source such as more expensive salmon oil.

An enzyme-rich, balanced raw meat diet is best, no discussion needed.
Next is wet food, grain-free, low starch.
Last is kibble with the same criteria as wet.
The absolute worst is kibble from brands such as Purina, Pedigree, Iams, Eukanuba, Hills Prescription Diet, ‘Ol Roy, Science Diet, etc. Good luck, Roger Biduk

Pentobarbital in low-quality pet foods

Here's a link that I found posted on another forum. I've read about the use of euthanized pets as ingredients in dog food, and this lists the results of an actual study done tracing the amounts of sodium pentobarbital in dog and puppy foods.

Edit: The site was moved. The first link goes directly to the chart, the second to the home page.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/dfchart.htm

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/default.html
Low-quality pet foods such as Purina, Pedigree, Ol’ Roy and Retriever have anonymously-named ingredients such as meat and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest and beef and bone... they're anonymous because the manufacturer doesn't know what animals they are... really bad stuff, and according to FDA may contain pentobarbital along with the euthanized animals.

In fact, meat and bone meal is banned in Europe it's so bad, Meat and bone meal is thought to have been a contributing factor in mad cow disease. It is no longer an approved ingredient in many countries. It is however a common ingredient in the U.S. in commercial dog food.

Meat and bone meal is now utilized in Europe as a fossil-fuel replacement, and is commonly used as a fuel in cement kilns, landfilling and in incinerators.
Roger Biduk

PennyD

This is a very interesting topic.
We have a ferret that developed degenerative diseases very similar to what was outlined here. It definitely makes you wonder if it's not just dog and cat food with which this type of thing goes on.

Members online