microchipping

I haven't really thought much about it, but now that we are planning this vacation with him I am having a minor freak out. What if he gets out while we're in NC and is lost forever!

So...micro chipping? Who's done it

All four of my critters are done because they're from the HS. All were done when they were awake. :) They have 24PetWatch chips.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Cali was microchipped at one of her last puppy appointments before we brought her home. I'm pretty sure the whole litter was done awake, and I usually forget the chip is there half the time.

both dogs and the cat are chipped.

Cat while being spayed.

Blaze in a line up at a dog festival.

and solo on the counter of the HS.

2/3 were awake and not bothered by it.

All our past 3 dogs were also chipped. Only one wasnt, only because it was a non existent procedure then.

If he gets lost in NC, don't come looking at my place....;)

Gambit was chipped awake and didn't care at all. Chesh rolled over and flirted with the vet while being done, and Argon screamed like a little girl. But the girl who chipped him is a close friend, and she swears that she's chipped thousands of animals, and not one screamed like my little drama queen.

SarahHound

Out of my lot, 3 are done, Lucy, Katy and Skye the cat. Lucy and Skye were done before I got them at their rescue centres. I had Katy done about 6 months, and she did cry a little bit. It was worth it to me though, because she is one of the 'highly desirable' dogs, and I think it just gives me a bit more security.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin is chipped, breeder had it done. I am 100% pro-microchip.. it truly is a great permanent way to identify your dog and be able to prove that your dog is in fact, yours. (just get your dog scanned at the vet every once in a while to make sure it didn't move lol)
I think it comes with a lot of peace of mind.

Merlin's is 24hour pet watch. His breeder & I are listed on it.

Snark

Mutts to you
Riley is chipped, done awake at the vet. He also has tags with my cellphone and in years past (when Mom and Dad still had their beach house), I'd get a temporary tag with the beach house address on it.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
All three of the dogs are chipped. Both Bamm and Joey were chipped prior to my owning them so not sure if they were awake or not when they were chipped.

Cricket was chipped when she was spayed.

Whiskey is not yet chipped, but I'm planning to get him chipped.

All my animals are chipped through Home Again.

All the pets are chipped except the bird. The cats were chipped at their spays or neuters, so they were asleep but not for that. The dogs were chipped awake.

All of our dogs are chipped and enrolled with AKC CAR. Edit: All done completely awake, never really had a dog react negatively toward the process. My Staffy's chip has slipped up her neck a bit but it's still easily scannable.

Thanks guys. I was talking to my mom about it (she works at a vet clinic) and she just keeps going, "It's an awfully big needle, Ter. You should do it when he gets neutered." She keeps conveniently forgetting that he isn't getting neutered for a good long while yet. When I'm back in Ohio in April, I'll probably have one of her vets do it.

IMO it's easier for the operator when the animal is asleep, because they're not moving and it's easier to be confident that you've gone all the way through the skin and implanted the chip properly. The dogs themselves rarely react, IME.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have chipped several dogs myself and they don't care about the size of needle, I think some of that is human projection stressing out the dog.

That said you supposedly get more secure placement with a dog being out under.

I have chipped several dogs myself and they don't care about the size of needle, I think some of that is human projection stressing out the dog.

That said you supposedly get more secure placement with a dog being out under.
This has been my experience as well. Every once in a while I'd get a screamer, but I suspect they'd scream over MOST things. I chipped Sham myself and he couldn't have given less of a crap.

Grab

All of the dogs are chipped and one of our cats. All dogs were chipped awake except Nog, who I was waiting to chip until we finally switched to Home Again. We switched around the time he was neutered, so I had it done then. I presume Newt was done when awake as she was not spayed at the time she was found as a stray and had, we discovered, been chipped by her breeder.

None have had issues with their chips migrating. None (even Jules, who is a weenie) have minded the needle size. Goose was done at 8 weeks when I brought her home and I honestly don't think she even noticed.

My dogs wear tags, but I like the added security of a chip, since tags can fall off, etc.

Red.Apricot

Elsie's chipped, Zobby's not. We'll get him chipped soon; probably when he's under for a dental.

Elsie was awake for hers, but she was a baby, too. I wasn't there.

She has home again.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Kes and Z are both chipped with 24PetWatch chips. Snipe is chipped with Home Again. Aeri is tattoo'd.

Members online

No members online now.