Dog hind leg problem

Lady is a 10 year old Yellow Lab/ Golden Retriever mix. The last 3 days I have noticed that when she is going downhill, her hind legs seem to not work properly, she sits almost involuntarily. Then she will get up and go off like nothing happened. If the hill is steep it may happen again, and it seems worse today than it was 2 days ago. She does not seem to be in pain and walks normally going uphill or on flat ground. It seem the extra weight transfered to her hind legs when going downhill causes the problem. Any ideas?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I would have her checked out by a vet. She might have arthritis in her back legs and require a glucosamine/chrondroitin supplement to help or some meds.

Thanks, I may have to do that. She was showing a little stiffness, so I started her on Ester C, which seems to have helped a lot. The back leg thing is new, and I thought maybe someone had seen a similar problem in a dog.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
That almost sounds like Rosey. Almost. I've never really tested the going uphill theory though :p

Basically, I woke up one morning and rosey wouldn't get up. I rushed her to the e-vet, where it was discovered she has some spinal arthritis. Now, she'll involuntarily AIT at times, as though her legs give out on her.

Really, there's not much we are doing. Giving her some pain meds when her fall is bad, and living life.

Ivy

Something similar happened to one of my dogs before. Turned out he had a pinched nerve.

Thanks everyone, she hasn't done it very much the last 3 days, hopefully it will correct itself. Still, if anyone else has input, I'd love to hear it.:)

Members online

No members online now.