Ever teach your dog something that wasn't such a great idea?

Cardi4851

Not quite me training the dogs, but because I did a lot of my training in the living room near the bird cage, my African Grey learned he could call the dogs over, tell them to sit, and then throw food at them. I made the mistake of laughing the first time. You would be amazed at how much super expensive bird pellets he can shovel out of his cage at the dogs.

Not quite me training the dogs, but because I did a lot of my training in the living room near the bird cage, my African Grey learned he could call the dogs over, tell them to sit, and then throw food at them. I made the mistake of laughing the first time. You would be amazed at how much super expensive bird pellets he can shovel out of his cage at the dogs.
:rofl1: :hail:

Best ever!

Flyinsbt

How's your parrot's timing? Maybe he's a better dog trainer than me.

I will never, ever again teach a dog to "speak" on command. Because yeah, really annoying default behavior. And people always think your dog is misbehaving because she barks at them when she wants something.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
I taught my mom's lab to speak and now she barks at me whenever I'm holding food. I will NEVER teach Saxon or any future dog to speak for that reason!!

Video! Please and thank you!

Saeleofu

Uh, yeah lol. I taught Gavroche to chase my hands under the blanket, except backwards - he could do it if HE was under the blanket - one specific blanket. Now he seeks out that blanket so he can nip my hands and laugh :rofl1: He also like to walk on the table, thanks to my mom.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh god. I regret everything I ever taught Rosey, ever.

The most annoying though, must be, she knows exactly where the line is that divides the hall and the kitchen. She knows she is not allowed to step into the kitchen uninvited -- and she wouldn't dare. Except, she'll sit RIGHT BEHIND THAT LINE, and stare at you. If you tell her to get out of the kitchen, she just looks at you like "**** you, I'm not IN the kitchen".

Every ferret that comes into the house is taught that Rosey is the Boss and they are not to **** her off. And she's taught that she has control over the ferrets, since she was here first. Except now, she'll go up to their cage, and Ren apparently is aware that's his cue to give her some of their kibble. Ren is allergic to everything, and eats expensive cat food, and he shoves a LOT out of the cage.

I guess that's not me teaching, though :p The first one, my dad taught. The second, Rosey taught Ren. :rofl1:

GipsyQueen

We regreted teaching Gipsy that she was to lay down if she wanted to be in the kitchen (she was a big begger... and a foody) Unfortunatly she'd always lie right where the dishwasher opens, also one of the areas you walked past alot. :rolleyes:
Also "shimmy" As a kid I taught her to shimmy when she was lying down. (Basically shuffle towards me while in a down position) Bad idea. If you told her down, and stay she'd follow you... while down. :rofl1:
Futur puppy is not being taught such tricks as futur puppy will be bigger than Gipsy. :yikes: I am afraid for my parents, very afraid.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
We regreted teaching Gipsy that she was to lay down if she wanted to be in the kitchen (she was a big begger... and a foody) Unfortunatly she'd always lie right where the dishwasher opens, also one of the areas you walked past alot. :rolleyes:
Also "shimmy" As a kid I taught her to shimmy when she was lying down. (Basically shuffle towards me while in a down position) Bad idea. If you told her down, and stay she'd follow you... while down. :rofl1:
Futur puppy is not being taught such tricks as futur puppy will be bigger than Gipsy. :yikes: I am afraid for my parents, very afraid.
Wait, its your parents puppy, not yours? :(

spiffy

I've taught Hops to use its snout to bump the butt of my niece who is not very dog-friendly. Hops has perfected the trick. The trouble is that he would do it on any female he sees. :yikes: Imagine the trouble I get whenever we are on the park or in any public place.

Dekka

Just try me..
Jumping into my arms. Its very handy sometimes...

But Dekka went through a spell where she would just launch at me from a chair or something high even if I wasn't prepared. She fell pretty badly a few times. But being a JRT its not like that deterred her.

I taught Gambit that me leaning over and extending my right arm was the sign for 'leap into Mommy's arms'. I did not do this on purpose, but it was so cute.

It was adorable right up until a coworker leaned to point something out and Gambit flew up and broke his nose.

Again, he is the coy of shame.

I taught Gambit that me leaning over and extending my right arm was the sign for 'leap into Mommy's arms'. I did not do this on purpose, but it was so cute.

It was adorable right up until a coworker leaned to point something out and Gambit flew up and broke his nose.

I know I shouldn't be, but I am. Thanks for the sorely needed giggles :)

CatStina

SBT Lover!!

Oops! I know I shouldn't laugh, but that is just too funny!

Doberluv

I inadvertently taught all the dogs in my house, including my son's that when Chulita would go potty outside, (because she was having some issues with not wanting to go outside for a while) ALL the dogs got rewarded. LOL. I felt badly just giving Chulita a treat. So, now when Chulita goes outside, (even if I'm not planning on reinforcing her every single time anymore) and then she comes back inside, all the dogs gather around, with that sense of entitlement they have about getting a treat. They're all lying around snoozing and they all jump up and come to the sliding glass door. LOL. So annoying.

I could think of all kinds of things I've inadvertently taught them. But can't think of anything that I taught them on purpose that has become a problem. There probably is something. I just can't think of it at the moment.

joce

Jumping into my arms. Its very handy sometimes...

But Dekka went through a spell where she would just launch at me from a chair or something high even if I wasn't prepared. She fell pretty badly a few times. But being a JRT its not like that deterred her.
YES! chaz taught blitz our blue heeler to run and turn in mid air so he could hang in his arms and be rubbed on. Cute at times but not when he is covered in mud or horse poo and decides he wants loving;):p:eek:

I taught a Dutch Shepherd I had to rub his eye. It was the cutest thing. He then got narcotics training, and went to the police dept. for a detection dog. The problem? Sometimes his default alert was to rub his eye, which would always cause the worry that something got into his eye, sprayed his eye, etc.

The handler thought it was hilarious, but I felt like a schmuck.

When our Rottie was a puppy, she picked up from our older dog a little dance that he did just before sitting to get his breakfast or dinner. Now he's in Doggy Heaven but she is still dancing before she sits. In our small house, I have to watch out before I put her food down or else she may bump into me in her enthusiasm!

Ivy

I taught Tynan to touch my hand with his nose. Sadly now when I come home and he's all excited he jumps up and tries to poke my face. I hate being poked.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Every dog that I've taught the speak command to has gone from a quiet dog, not quick to bark, to resorting to barking when confused, frustrated or over stimulated... Never again! Lol I'm so glad I didn't make that mistake with Fozzie. He has a perfect, quiet alarm bark. Gonzo's is like an explosion! :/

Members online