Beyond CM

Danefied

Anyone on that FB group?

I just recently joined at the urging of some IRL friends, and the first post I come across is major breeder bashing.
Followed by trolling of other pages to share pics and videos and pick them apart.
Constant personal attacks, instead of discussing the methods.
*I* got attacked for saying its disingenuous to post a picture of an imbedded prong injury and call it a training injury. I got questioned about my intentions of being on the site and demanded to know what tools I use.

Really???

If this is the image positive trainers are forging for themselves I despair.
NONE of my IRL PR trainer friends are like this at ALL!!

Danefied

Oh the irony! The thread where I posted essentially the same thing I’m saying here just got deleted....

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Anyone on that FB group?

I just recently joined at the urging of some IRL friends, and the first post I come across is major breeder bashing.
Followed by trolling of other pages to share pics and videos and pick them apart.
Constant personal attacks, instead of discussing the methods.
*I* got attacked for saying its disingenuous to post a picture of an imbedded prong injury and call it a training injury. I got questioned about my intentions of being on the site and demanded to know what tools I use.

Really???

If this is the image positive trainers are forging for themselves I despair.
NONE of my IRL PR trainer friends are like this at ALL!!
:eek:

All I can say is, some "Positive" trainers are nothing short of crazy, sadly.

Funny, I just had to switch a client dog from a head halter to a prong. The head halter was working great for them in many ways except it was rubbing the poor dog's nose raw, no matter what we did. Tried several brands, tried padding the noseband, no dice.

Too bad I don't have a picture of it for you. TRAINING INJURY!

Danefied

Its really unfortunate... It seems like some folks on there have a lot of wonderful information to share, but it gets completely lost in the snark fest. I’m pretty secure in my training and my beliefs, I can’t imagine how someone new to the page or a lurker looking for some ideas - Beyond CM - might feel seeing what is said on that page :(

That group is filled with so much nasty and meanness it's amazing.

Were you the one who said something on that Dozer person's thread that got deleted?

Danefied

Yeppers... I said the admin’s comment sounded like she was either threatening you or calling you an idiot and apologies if I misread.

It’s just such a shame to have so much good information go to waste just because a few can’t grow some people skills!!

Yeah, there is very little actual training discussion that goes on there. It's a giant bash fest. They scour the internet for things they deem inappropriate and then rip those people to shreds like pack of wild dogs. It's sad. It's not constructive. And it's certainly not going to help anyone learn to train.

For a big group of "positive" trainers they are more cruel on that group than you would think possible.

Which is why I chimed in for the first time ever on that thread that got deleted.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
There's a reason that I'm on VERY few fb or yahoo groups for trainers...just way too much "my way or the highway" and bashing and very little constructive information sharing. :p

Danefied

I think I could tolerate if it were all “my way or the highway†but trolling other sites to share their pics and videos only to bash them is beyond petty. Now they’re pissing off a pit bull rescue because of some picture of a pitty in a prong. *sigh*

Interestingly, I shared a video of my daughter and Breez as a counter example to a video of kids & dogs training that they were bashing. One person said something about the video I put up. ONE. Apparently if its not bashable, its not worth discussing. Really??

Yes, I dont mind "one way only" in a group if thats what it claims but pretty much ALL the do is dredge up stuff to bitch about. It used to be a more informative group, or at least it seemed that way when I joined awhile back. Havent been there forever because its just not worth it....and I am someone who LOVES a good debate....thats not what they do there though:(

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I guess I meant more the "do it my way ...or ELSE" behavior vs. just "only discuss x types of training". Ironic since they are so anti making dogs work to avoid "or ELSE" consequences. >.<

I guess I meant more the "do it my way ...or ELSE" behavior vs. just "only discuss x types of training". Ironic since they are so anti making dogs work to avoid "or ELSE" consequences. >.<
Gotcha:) Yes, there is a way to have a discussion of where other methods fail and why this method is promoted without resorting to outright attacks and bashing.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
People are crazy. Just sayin.

When the crazies start congregating is when it really gets scary. Not to mention pointless and often downright harmful to their "cause."

And unfortunately it is these sorts that anyone who's ever held a clicker gets lumped in with by those who are equally rabidly opposed to "clicker training" and all that label conjures.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Honestly I can't stand training discussions. Ever. I'm really not much of a trainer myself- I like teaching my dogs stupid tricks and all that, but when it comes to seminars and training classes I am so not interested. Why? Because most of the trainers I end up with tell me that I'm doing something wrong, even if its producing the desired result. Sorry, I am not of the opinion that learning is done in one specific way.

And yes, I am a "learning based" trainer in the sense that I believe that a clicker and treats are the most powerful tools in dog training- and those are generally the only tools I use. I don't use prongs or chokes or e-collars on my own dogs, ever. Do I think it's wrong to use them on other dogs? Eh, I don't know. I feel like I've never really been shown how a prong improved an owner or a dog's life. But I'm not going to say I never correct my dogs..

I enjoy dog behavior, and I understand it. But for some reason, when people start talking about it, I shut down. Maybe it's because I believe that positive trainers need to be positive with PEOPLE too, or the point is totally lost!

Members online

No members online now.