2013 Official Chaz Weight Loss Challenge

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I said no to pizza that was sitting there and smelling amazing today. Huge accomplishment, I love pizza!

Also, looks like I will be going to an indoor waterpark in March, I haven't worn a bathing suit in years. I just want to not look like a beached whale, hopefully this will continue to motivate me!
You and me both! I just found out we're going to an all-day staff retreat at a Nordic spa in mid-March. I'm not super-self-concious about my body, but **** I hate my thighs. Motivation, GO!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
You and me both! I just found out we're going to an all-day staff retreat at a Nordic spa in mid-March. I'm not super-self-concious about my body, but **** I hate my thighs. Motivation, GO!
I'm built like an apple. Legs are fine, arms are fine. Huge belly and boobs, lol. I don't even have a goal for it, it's pretty much just don't look terrible. :lol-sign:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I can't move. My quads hurt SO bad from doing so many squats and squant lunge kick things... Ouchhhh....
I feel your pain! The first time I did my bootcamp DVD the next three days were hell. I couldn't sit in a chair without lowering myself down, lol. I rested for 2 days, did yoga, then the bootcamp DVD again and I was fine!

Stick with it, it gets better!!!

Maxy24

Now that people are mentioning being sore, I remeber a question I had. In Anatomy we learned that this is called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and is basically caused by little tears in your muscles. Since it is muscle damage should a person wait until the soreness is gone bfore working out that area again? Would working out despite the soreness cause more damage?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Now that people are mentioning being sore, I remeber a question I had. In Anatomy we learned that this is called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and is basically caused by little tears in your muscles. Since it is muscle damage should a person wait until the soreness is gone bfore working out that area again? Would working out despite the soreness cause more damage?
Short answer is no, working out with DOMS will not do more damage. Long answer coming after I get off my conference call at work (unless somebody else beats me to it.)

Equinox

Had a few bad days over the weekend away from home, so I am going to finish eating some leftovers today and starting a 3 or 4 day fat fast tomorrow.

OH GOD HELP ME. I like cream cheese but not that much.

Wish me luck, please. Maybe I'll even lose some weight, which I hadn't really managed to do for the last 3 weeks.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
This one is corn free, and they have a Chipotle Spice one!!
Not cheap though, but I would like to buy some.

http://paleopasta.com/home
Um, yeah. I'm going to have to try this.

I don't remember where we were talking about froyo and dairy, but I looked up CherryBerry's ingredients, and they use corn syrup. I didn't look through all of them, but the Classic Tart contains sugar and no corn syrup. Judging by their flavors, I don't think their supplier is YoCream, but nearly all YoCream flavors contain corn syrup. :( The NSA ones don't have sugar or corn syrup, obviously, but they do have artificial sweeteners. Working with frozen yogurt has taught me way more than I ever needed to know. :p

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Adding on to the froyo discussion, if you want some really good frozen yogurt, go to Pinkberry. And I'm not even saying that just because I work there (I don't). Their ingredients are much better than other places I've been, and in turn their yogurt is AMAZING.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I feel your pain! The first time I did my bootcamp DVD the next three days were hell. I couldn't sit in a chair without lowering myself down, lol. I rested for 2 days, did yoga, then the bootcamp DVD again and I was fine!

Stick with it, it gets better!!!
What bootcamp dvd do you have? I've been trying to find one I like but can't.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Okay, so on the subject of DOMS:

DOMS is, like many things, a spectrum. You might feel a little sore (like I do today) or you might feel REALLY sore (like I did yesterday, when it was incredibly painful on my shoulders/arms/chest just to reach down to pull up my pants.)

If you're just a little sore, buck up, stop whining, and get on with it.

If you're moderately sore, do a serious evaluation. Are you being a pansy and using "I'm SOOOORE!" as an excuse to skip a workout? Or are you edging into "really sore" territory? If the former, see "just a little sore." If the latter, see below.

If you're REALLY sore to the point you're having mobility problems such as struggling to reach down and pull up your pants:
First, the important thing to note is that working out while sore has NOT been shown to damage your muscles. Working out while sore HAS been shown to potentially delay healing, cause swelling, and prolong the amount of time you're suffering from serious DOMS. And if you're sore and it REALLY hurts and you're trying to power through your workout as usual, you very well may subconsciously perform differently to try and avoid the pain - your brain wants you to avoid the pain! PAIN BAD! So say you might do your squats wrong because your back hurts and isn't moving the way it normally does. That's a GREAT way to actually hurt yourself, and I'm not talking microscopic-tears-in-your-muscles hurt.

So what are your options? For a lot of people who push themselves hard routinely, if you skipped a workout every time you were REALLY sore, you'd skip a LOT of workouts... so don't skip a workout. Change your workout.

a) Go lighter or easier. Instead of loading up the bar with weight, do your squats with just the bar itself - or even just body weight squats. Ain't nothin' wrong with a body weight squat. If you were planning on a five mile run today but your legs are just shy of literally killing you, go for a five mile walk instead (or I tend to go on a shorter, slower run.)

b) Alter the muscle group you're using to avoid overworking the muscles that are making you want to cut off entire limbs. This is tough with a lot of workouts, particularly when you're on free weights; a proper squat is going to work **** near your whole body rather than just your legs, for example - but just because it's tough doesn't mean it impossible. Your calves hurt, so do push-ups and pull-ups instead. Your arms hurt, so ride a bike, go for a run, or do some leg lifts. Guarantee there's an exercise you can do that will still get your body moving and working, but won't put additional stress on your super-sore muscles.

It is INSANELY important to not cheat yourself out of muscle recovery (and growth) by not properly feeding your body, not drinking enough water, and not getting enough sleep. So do that too. And don't forget the mantra of "if it hurts, don't do it." But be realistic with yourself on what "hurts" versus "feels uncomfortable."
If you're in serious pain and everything really, truly hurts, rest.

But for most of us struggling with DOMS, most of the time... buck up, buttercup, and go work out.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So far, I've been starting a better focus on healthy living. I don't want to focus on weight loss, that never works for me. I've tried so many times to just cut all carbs and that doesn't work for me either. I always go 3 or 4 days then feel so sick I end up binge eating.

So the past two weeks I decided on three rules for the time being. Then add on maybe another thing at a time.

1. No cokes.

2. No fast food.

3. No processed grains for breakfast or for lunch

Rule #1 I have been perfect on. No sodas at all. #2, I cheated one day in two weeks. And then I ended up sick. #3 has been good so far although I have kept in whole wheat bread at dinner. Goal is to eventually remove that.

I also have been eating occasional cheese. It is my weakness. I haven't been counting calories at all, just trying to change my tastebuds. I had gotten to where I was eating crap bread kinds of foods for breakfast, crap for lunch, and crap for dinner. It was horrible and it took to the point I was totally burnt out on that kind of food. I went from maybe a day like- bagel, cream cheese and juice for breakfast to eggs and/or sausage and whole fruit for breakfast. Drinking cokes and sweet tea at work versus drinking unsweetened or green tea or water at work. Eating pizza/hamburger/sandwich/pasta for lunch versus now doing soups and salads or meat and veggies. And then having fast food for dinner versus now having meat and veggies or a sandwich and veggies and fruit. It's not perfect but it's been a lot of change with more change coming.

I've also hit the gym 3x this week with the goal of adding on.

On about day 4 I felt sick like usual, but with a big headache. I ended up going home from work and sleeping literally all afternoon and night. The next day seemed to kind of reset things. I felt much better.

I also ordered 5 paleo cook books. My end goal is to be fully eating a paleo diet and enjoying good food. And then to work out 30 mins during lunch 4x a week, 30 mins 3x a week after work, and then spend as much of the weekend doing stuff as possible.

So far I have lost 5 lbs but I have started in the past two days to feel AMAZING, which is better. This afternoon I was all grins for no apparent reason. I find myself really just feeling full of energy. Also not nearly as hungry. And also not nauseous like I usually do when I 'diet'. It's awesome.

I just really don't want to get caught up in the weight loss. I want to make sure I am going at this from the right perspective FINALLY. I feel like right now I am at a very good mentality. I feel like this is very sustainable and I have some better options when I'm strapped for time versus grabbing fried chicken or a burger or something like that. I also have some great baselines for the past two years for all my bloodwork and wellness check my company has us do. I am really anxious to see how those numbers change this next November when it's time for my next checkup.

Next week's goal, starting this weekend is to actually cook at least 3 meals from my paleo cook books.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Week 4 begins

Down 18 pounds from the New Year. As predicted, the amount has dropped off to a couple of pounds a week, which is great. I don't want to drop massive amounts too quickly.

Eating well, drinking lots of water and exercising. My 12 year old noted that she could put her arms around my middle now and close them, so that's a big plus that I'm still hugable :)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Oh man... just completed another workout. Turbo Jam Turbo Sculpt. but I think I really hurt myself this time lol. Nothing overly serious but I think I pulled a muscle in my butt. I went down into one of the lunges and it felt like someone stabbed me in the lower right side of my bum and I had to take it easy on that side the rest of the workout but I still did it.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I found that this "pigeon pose" does a great job of stretching that area, sparks.

[YOUTUBE]FVlX5HNKamw[/YOUTUBE]

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I found that this "pigeon pose" does a great job of stretching that area, sparks.

[YOUTUBE]FVlX5HNKamw[/YOUTUBE]
owie ow ow ow lol. that was painful to look at ... more painful to do. I managed to get my leg in front of me and my other leg behind but once I started to straighten my body up YIKES!

I took a couple aleve and I think I'm going to sit on an ice pack lol

just checked my butt in the mirror (scary LOL) and there is definite swelling on that side. DANG IT! A roadblock I didn't need to hit. I guess it's ab workouts for a while

Last edited:

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My glute muscle is feeling quite a bit better today. Still tender and sore but I can at least move without pain.

Just finished a Turbo Jam Ab Jam workout :)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Before I even posted in this thread, about 3-ish before, I was 208. When I posted in this thread I believe I was 196. I yo-yo'd between 192 and 198 for about 3 weeks.
I am now 187.8.
YAY!!! I haven't been below 190 in over a year. So so so happy right now.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Congratulations to everyone making progress :D I'm training for a half-marathon ..by swimming! I swam 1.5km tonight in 39 minutes. I hate swimming drills :(

Members online

No members online now.