What To Do If Animal Control Knocks on Your Door

So, the AC officer who barged into an old woman's house, and kidnapped her puer bred CKC registered labrador retriever because he thought it was a pit bull (which were banned in her area) was part of a "ethical sector of law enforcement"?

Give me a break. That innocent dog would have died that very day if she hadn't had his reg. papers proving his breed.

Besides, officers tricking and bullying people into entering their homes with no evidence is NOT okay. Ever. Not in our country. If there is evidence, they can get a warrant.
Yeah I had AC called on me because someone said I left my Poodle out all night in the snow. Everyone who knew me thought it was the funniest thing ever, my dogs are so pampered and spoiled. There is no way I would ever do that even by accident... I'd know if one of them was not in the house. Luckily the guy that came was super nice and believed me.

However, the man that lives next door to my work has a dog that is chained to a dog house 24/7 in all weather and we have had some really bad winter days. People have called on him and that dog is still there, it's been at least 5 years.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Yup. I got reported for dog fighting because Emma and Jazz were playing. Apparently Emma is a feeder dog I was using to make Jazz mean.

1. Do not let them in, no matter how much they ask. Animal Control generally cannot enter your home without a warrant, or your permission. While regular police can enter in emergency situations when human life is at risk (i.e. they hear gunshots and a scream inside), there are few, if any, situations in which Animal Control can enter your home without a warrant. Simply tell them they may not come in.

2. If you let them in, anything they find in "plain sight" can be used against you. In some circumstances Animal Control officers, unable to find a legitimate reason to make an arrest, have reported building or zoning violations. This may include caging you attached to a wall without a building permit, that extra outlet in the puppy room, having more pets than allowed by zoning, even extension cords in violation of fire codes! No matter how clean your kennel, if they want to find a violation, they will.

3. Do not talk to them from an open doorway. Step outside and close (and lock if possible) the door behind you. This is necessary because:

A) Anything they see through the open door is "plain sight" and may be the basis for an arrest, or probable cause for a search warrant.

B) If they make an arrest or even feel threatened they are usually permitted to search for weapons in your immediate area. Do you keep a baseball bat inside the door for your protection? Even if you don't, once they step inside to look, they are in your home and may continue to search.

C) It is hard not to be intimidated by someone in authority. Some animal control is even done by local police, who carry guns. It is easy for them to get "in your face", causing you to back up into the home. Once you go in, it will be interpreted as an invitation to follow.

4. If they claim to have a warrant, demand to see it. In general, a search warrant must be signed by a judge. A warrant to search your home for dogs does not include an inventory of your jewelry box. A warrant to search your kennel in the garage or in the barn does not include a search of your home.

5. In some locations dog owners may have obtained special "breeder permits" that stipulate that Animal Control has your permission to enter at any time. If you have signed such a permit they still cannot enter against your wishes, since you can revoke the permission at any time. However, if you refuse permission it may allow them to cancel your breeder permit, so you have to weigh the consequences.

6. Warning - anyone in lawful possession of the premises may be able to give permission for a search. Make sure your roommate, babysitter, dog-sitter, housekeeper and others know that they should not let animal control into your home or on your property (i.e. backyard, garage, etc.).

mmorlino

Great, informative post! I've had AC come out when we first moved into our house (new to the city). He just wanted to introduce himself, though. He was very nice and said that if one of my dogs ever got loose to give him a call and he'd go look for it.

This is good information for any dog owner to know, as there are as many dog haters out there as lovers. We had a neighbor who used to toss entire deer legs out beside the road just down the hill from us, trying to entice neighboring dogs onto his property so he could catch them and cage them for Animal Control. We had a fence climber, a GSD, and one day she climbed out and got caught in a cage he had hiding behind his house. We found her when we saw animal control pull up at his house to pick it up. They kept her for weeks and it cost us $500 to get her back (boarding fees they called it), and she was half-starved, nothing but skin and bones and they charged us to spay her, although she had been spayed at 7 months old (how can you spay the dog twice). Thank goodness he moved. We had to take her out to potty on a reelout until he did. Thank goodness she was not a puppy with a can't hold it bladder.

lay_lady

Wow I didn't know animal control was such a problem... I thought they only went to house with EXTREME animal abuse...

actony1

Cool Dude
Wow! Thanks Renee. I really don't know what I would have done had they come knocking on my door. It's definitely something to think about should this situation ever arise.

Usually when people DON"T follow these rules they are the ones who end up with every single dog and pup taken and destroyed. It has happened too many times.

Unfortunately I've experienced this first hand while house setting my friends dog. Even though it wasn't my dog, having an animal control officer come to the house still sent chills down my spine. I would wish this kind of a visit to anyone.

Gisella

I live in a very small town,we have one animal control officer. Nice guy. He came out when Oscar bit Vinnie. He told me and the police officer that there would be no citation because Oscar was secured at the time of the bite etc. The police officer decided to go "all vigilante" and is charging me with owning a dangerous dog. The animal control officer called me to give me a "heads up". The local police are trying to bully me into giving the dog up, the officer said if Oscar is "gone" in 2 weeks he will not charge me. He keeps saying Oscar is a pitbull.( I also own a pitbull, but Oscar is a mastiff,so that's like mistaking a palmeranian for a chow) This same officer has shot 4 pitbulls without cause, which is why a law suite was filed and part of the settlement agreement was that the local police department had to hire a seperate animal control officer,which they did and he is a great guy,but apparently if he doesn't do HIS JOB, the way the local police want it done, they step in and file their own charges. I am more afraid of our local police,they think they can do whatever they want.

Last edited:
You may want to have a safe place ready for Oscar -- with someone who won't give him up. You might also want to talk directly to the DA -- carefully. It's up to the DA to press charges, not the cop.

You might also consider filing a formal complaint against the cop if he persists.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I had an AC officer come out to my place once. They asked if I had a dog, I just said, that's really none of your business is it? I got the stink eye over that comment and I asked them to leave and not come back unless they had a warrant. I did get a letter later advising me that I legally need to have a dog license (which I do for a different county).
The government has no business knowing how many tvs I own, what I listen to on the radio, and so long as I'm not bugging my neighbors any other piece of property that is in my house. Read your local laws and see what rights AC in your area actually has.

Members online

No members online now.