What do you do "wrong"?

Toller_08

that is interesting about the tailed aussies! Is that aussie show bred or working bred? I see a lot of difference in the way the two types of aussies run agility too.
I am pretty certain she's from mainly show lines, with some working thrown in. I'd have to ask again. She was imported from Germany, thus the tail. She's a beautiful little dog. I really, really like her a lot.

Sure would make it easier to catch him..
Totally missed this comment earlier. But that reminds me! Last week at Agility class, one of the husbands to a student was talking to my mom and said something about it being weird that Journey has no tail and then said "but when she's running around the house like a maniac, how do you catch her?".

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail! lol

that is interesting about the tailed aussies! Is that aussie show bred or working bred? I see a lot of difference in the way the two types of aussies run agility too.

I would think (and this is just me talking out my rear lol) that mushing would be a lot less taxing on the wrists than agility where (especially with the big dogs) the dogs are landing very much on their fronts. I would think that would be harder on a dog with a weaker front.
It's definitely not as repetitively jarring on the wrists as sports like agility, but they can take a beating through the turns. Especially for the dogs closest to the sled.

I'm not really arguing particularly one way or the other, I just think it's interesting to talk about.

Toller_08

You're doing agility with Journey!? lol

That is a pretty aussie. I love them with tails.
Yep! Not real Agility yet though. Just puppy stuff. Thank goodness, because I have zero coordination and hopefully I'll have found some before we get to doing actual Agility. :rofl1:

Our instructor is super excited about her though. She loves her and gives me so many compliments on her and how well she and I work together.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yay that's exciting! It's addictive. You should post in the agility training thread. There's 2 aussies in my distractions class and I love them. Especially the merle male named Jake. He's a love.

Yay OT.

milos_mommy

Part of the reason I want my dogs to wait or not rush the door is safety - it's not necessarily that I don't want them going in front of me, but I don't want them to think it's okay to come flying through an open door past me. Even though my dogs could always tell the difference between the back door and front door, it seems safer to just have a dog thing that it's unacceptable to rush through a door like that.

Plus...not that I mind them going out first...if I step aside and tell them to, but if I'm going to go through a door, I don't want some dog rushing past me and practically tripping me or slamming into my legs or pushing the door further open. Or standing in my way scratching or panting or whatever right in front of the door while I'm trying to open it.

I wouldn't be ok with another person doing that, because it's just rude and annoying, and I don't feel any differently about a dog doing it.

If other people aren't bothered by it, go ahead and let them do it. But personally if I had to deal with that every time I had to go outside with my dogs, or let the dogs out, it'd drive me nuts.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Part of the reason I want my dogs to wait or not rush the door is safety - it's not necessarily that I don't want them going in front of me, but I don't want them to think it's okay to come flying through an open door past me. Even though my dogs could always tell the difference between the back door and front door, it seems safer to just have a dog thing that it's unacceptable to rush through a door like that.

Plus...not that I mind them going out first...if I step aside and tell them to, but if I'm going to go through a door, I don't want some dog rushing past me and practically tripping me or slamming into my legs or pushing the door further open. Or standing in my way scratching or panting or whatever right in front of the door while I'm trying to open it.

I wouldn't be ok with another person doing that, because it's just rude and annoying, and I don't feel any differently about a dog doing it.

If other people aren't bothered by it, go ahead and let them do it. But personally if I had to deal with that every time I had to go outside with my dogs, or let the dogs out, it'd drive me nuts.
Oh, I don't let my dogs bolt through open doors. That's completely not okay. But they seem to know the difference is when they have their leashes on. And again, it's not like they're zooming out the door then either (well, Happy does, she gets pretty excited about walks)... they just know it's okay to go out ahead of me, they don't need to sit aside and wait unless I specifically ask :)

Members online