Dog Book Suggestions?

Dreeza

I tried searching, but i couldnt come up with anything really...

Anyone have suggestions on some good dog books?

Mainly ones for training, but also just understanding a dog in general.

I am a big reader, and there are so many out there...so i just wanted to see if i could narrow it down in order to learn as much as possible!

Fran27

That's a good idea. I admit I have no book because I've found just what I needed on Internet though.

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
Well I have read a couple of books on training and just general dog behavior, and I have found that discussion boards and forums like this are a bigger help than any book was. There are so many more perspectives than a book can give, and alot of people have experienced what you have gone through. So really if you have any questions, I would just post a thread on here.

To tell you the truth, I don't really have any books on training!! I've found most info here on the web, LOL!! But I did get "The Border Collie: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet" by Mary Burch....it has some training advice.

Y

yuckaduck

For understanding dogs I found that Dr Stanely Coren was the best, he is the one who did Good Dog on TV.

Understanding how a dog thinks.
How to speak dog
Why we love the dogs we do

These are only a few he has several, I have collected them up and am just now starting to read them. So far they are great and I'm hoping that I can get some insight in dealing with Yukon's behaviour.

Richie12345

I read:

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of DOGS, DOG BREEDS, & DOG CARE

It's about dogs in general. It tells you what kinds of foods you should feed you're dog. Teaches you how to train a little bit. It even tells you what to do when you're dog is giving birth. It also has a comprehensive visual guide to more than 180 breeds

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete.

That one gets a little to into how important crates are and focuses a lot on how to use a leash properly and leash training. I don't agree with the crate thing so it kind of bugged me... but it may not you.

Either way there's some VERY valuable info in there. I wish I would've read it BEFORE I got Rocky. I read a bunch of other articles and different books about the breed but this one... wow.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
in no particular order of preference:

* "The other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell
* "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson
* "Dogs : A New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior and Evolution" by Ray and Lorna Coppinger
* "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor
* "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller and Jean Donaldson

and my favorite training book:
* "Clicker Training for Obedience: Shaping Top Performance--Positively" by Morgan Spector

if you just want to buy one single book on training (mainly obedience), i recommend this one, it covers more than the others.

bubbatd

My " bible"...How to Raise a Puppie you can live with...Reutherford and Neil .....I like the Mon books too, but find more information in my " Bible"

lol when i want to know something about dogs, i just come to this forum. i've learned almost TOO much about dog nutrition and breeds, etc

I read this book called 101 traing tips, its ok but on some things it says give your dog a quick smack on the head. i dont believe in any pain given to do dogs.

Members online

No members online now.