Separation Anxiety !!!

seblu5

My puppy Charlie is 6 months old and we are trying to get him used to being left alone at home. He is potty trained and has plenty of toys to play with, we have been trying to leave him for super short intervals of time (seconds) and he is still freaking out. What can we do?!?

poeluvr

iknow evry1 else will have much better replys then this, but i think consistency is key, dont give in to him and come back when he starts whining, hes whining cuz he wants to let u know he doesnt want to be left alone, and wants u to come back.

seblu5

Yeah, we ignore him when we leave and come in until he calms down and such just really... when he can't see us he freaks out and gets really really nervous to the point that he looks like he has a problem

poeluvr

hmmm. i think what also might help is if u get him to really love people outside of ur family like a good friend or something, make them bond, when ever ur friends around let her hold and play with him. then once when hes inside try leaving him with your friend and go outside till ur out of site...he should feel cofortable enough with her cuz he knows her well enough. try it with other people less prominent like a child , or a nother dog, until it gets to the point where hes left with something that doesnt have much interest in him, like a child, or just maybe someone he doesnt know to well. this will hopefully make him more independant, and slowly get used to not having you around
o yea and u can do this throughout time so most of these things happen naturally, u dont have to run out and find a best friend, or child, or anything...lol

seblu5

I guess I am just frustrated that it isn't something I can fix very quickly, although this is prime time to work on it so here goes... :)

poeluvr

LEA said:
hmmm. i think what also might help is if u get him to really love people outside of ur family like a good friend or something, make them bond, when ever ur friends around let her hold and play with him. then once when hes inside try leaving him with your friend and go outside till ur out of site...he should feel cofortable enough with her cuz he knows her well enough. try it with other people less prominent like a child , or a nother dog, until it gets to the point where hes left with something that doesnt have much interest in him, like a child, or just maybe someone he doesnt know to well. this will hopefully make him more independant, and slowly get used to not having you around
o yea and u can do this throughout time so most of these things happen naturally, u dont have to run out and find a best friend, or child, or anything...lol

Adrienne

What an adorable little guy you have there. How old was the pup when you got him? Did you just start to try to leave him alone now? If you did it will take a bit longer for him to settle most likely as a six month old dog is a bit more set in their ways than a younger pup. You will just need to be strong and know that your dog is going to be better off once he learns it is ok to be on his own. Continue with what you have been doing and in a few days or week he should be settling down on his own. Just like babies, pups need to learn how to calm themselves down and go to sleep when it is time to. Hope it all goes well for you and your darling pup.

seblu5

Let me give you a little bit of background.
Charlie was about 9-12 weeks when I adopted him from a place called Pets Without Parents (Columbus, Ohio). We brought him home and the first night, had him in his cage in the living room to sleep, although more barking/howling was done than sleeping. So, since a lot of people live in the house, after 2 nights of continual barking I decided he needed to sleep in a cage in my room. Some may say that wasn't smart but for reasons, it had to be done. He isn't scared of his cage or anything, he really likes it usually. The problem is he freaks out when no one is around. So, today I decided to purchase a cage for the living room because I don't feel that it is safe for him to be in the house roaming anymore... So, pretty much I realize my only option is to just make him get used to it but I want for it to be as painless as possible. That, I suppose, is what I need tips for.
(I'm going to put more oh his pictures on a site now for everyone!)

Members online

No members online now.