Fall 2014 Semester Thread!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I know these kind of trickled off last year, but I'd like to get them going again! It was great to hear everyone's accomplishments and try to help if someone was struggling.

I'm at my 4-year University now! WHOO! I'm in Ecology & Evolution and Nature & Society.

Just finished up two exams last week. Got 91% in Bio and 87% (class average was 65%!), so I feel pretty good about that.

Currently working on a reflection essay on deextinction, I have a report due on a local oil spill tomorrow, and a quiz and interactive chapter due later this week.

How about the rest of the high school and college crowd?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Good job meepitsmeagan!!! :hail:

I'm in Differential Functions (Calc 4), Labratory Analysis, and Electricity.

Lab Analysis and Electricity are going well so far, but I'm struggling horribly with my social anxiety in Calc 4. :( It's going to be a really rough semester for me unfortunately.

xpaeanx

Good job meepitsmeagan!!! :hail:

I'm in Differential Functions (Calc 4), Labratory Analysis, and Electricity.

Lab Analysis and Electricity are going well so far, but I'm struggling horribly with my social anxiety in Calc 4. :( It's going to be a really rough semester for me unfortunately.
Is it a large lecture hall? I'm soooooooo glad those days are behind me. My anxiety went seriously out of control bc of them.

A mix between last semester and my current family dynamics has pretty much crushed my will to live. I'm getting subpar grades for my standards and I can't seem to care. I'm still above average so I'm just like "meh" where as the real me would be flipping out right now.

I just keep repeating dori from nemo "just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

Hopefully I can get back on my game soon. I'm moving myself to CT over the next couple of months so that Long Island becomes more of a place I just crash for school and less my home. I think that should help my psyche and maybe I can get my over-achieving self back?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I'm in....year 5 of a 4 year degree -_-

This semester I've got:
Health Finance - Online,
Issues in Women's Health - Online (better named Issues in Women's MENTAL health, because there's been more ranting about the media than anything else so far),
Research Applications - my one course on campus.

I feel like I'm so drained from so many years of school that I am not doing as well as I potentially could. I mean, I'm passing, but I don't feel like I'm absorbing anything.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
I just graduated from my four year degree, and now I'm doing a college course to narrow my focus a bit (since my undergrad is pretty broad). I'm doing law enforcement and border security stuffs. It's a lot more interesting than Romantic-era prose. :) This program will be two years. I'm pretty pumped to be done with school, but so far this program has been pretty neat!

I just started going back to school this fall to get a second bachelors in computer science :) I'm only taking two classes each term for the first year so I can be considered a resident for the rest of my time (yay in-state tuition!) So for the fall term I have Calc 1 and Intro to Computer Science.

I actually really like calculus so far. I tried to take it the first time I went to college and just barely passed. My previous teacher was a really smart guy but not very good at explaining things, but my new teacher is great and I'm actually understanding things so far this time around! My compsci class is a little boring, but that's because we're going over stuff I already know right now. I know I'll find it more interesting once we get to new stuff.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I kind of wish I was kidding with the GED thing. We seriously were going over adding and subtracting the first few weeks.

I'm scoring the highest possible on the math tests right now, so I'm not too concerned. A couple of things that I'll go over myself independently and I should be ready!

I am wanting to go back to school after this for dental hygiene. Two year degree.

Michiyo-Fir

So interesting to read about all the courses you guys have.

I just started my Masters degree in September in Art History. So far it's been brutal.

200 pages of philosophy, history or theory to read per seminar. Thankfully instead of 3 or 4 seminars I'm only taking 2 because I also work on top of school. Still struggling to complete my 400 pages a week for the most part though :( I don't want to be a student anymore!

meepitsmeagan

So interesting to read about all the courses you guys have.

I just started my Masters degree in September in Art History. So far it's been brutal.

200 pages of philosophy, history or theory to read per seminar. Thankfully instead of 3 or 4 seminars I'm only taking 2 because I also work on top of school. Still struggling to complete my 400 pages a week for the most part though :( I don't want to be a student anymore!
I feel your pain. I work close to full time (between 30-35 hours a week) and sometimes I feel like I'm just drowning. Last night I was up until 3am, and then was back at it at 9 just doing homework. UGH!

I just applied for a job that will be 40+ hpw, so I may have just signed on for another year in school. At this rate I literally won't be done until at least 2019, if not later.

JacksonsMom

Aiming to get into Radiologic Tech, Physical Therapy Assisting or Surgical Tech program. Whichever accepts me LOL, no but really, I love them all. I think PTA may be my #1 choice but I think it's also the most competitive to get into.

In pre-reqs now and all classes apply to all programs.

Currently in Chemistry, Medical Terminology and Algebra.

Chemistry is going way better than expected. Med Term is a lot of fun! I actually like it a lot. Algebra SUCKS and stresses me out sooo bad because I NEED to pass this class to get into Anatomy and Physiology next semester.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Just started my second block of vet school. Currently having a major "WTF am I doing?!" moment.

I KNOW NOTHING.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
First test of the semester for me today. I am freaking out a bit :yikes:

The teacher is a serious nit-picker. I went to the review, going in I felt confident, leaving I felt like I was going to just mess this test up. I feel like review sessions should make you feel more confident, not less! Talked to others in the class and they felt the same. ARGH

Yay fellow students!

I'm taking Physics, Organic Chemistry and 3rd year Russian every quarter this year. It's going to be so boooring but they are all required (General Biology major and Russian Language Minor). So far all classes are going well and are interesting!

My physics professor may be the most adorable old man ever. He wears the same sweater and khakis every day, so I imagine his closet looks like a TV show character's with rows and rows of the same thing. He's this portly English gentleman with white hair and mustache and he's just really pumped about physics.

I have an ochem midterm on Friday, so I ought to be studying for that...

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
First midterm is Thursday-Saturday this week (online).
It's for the only class this semester that I'm actually enjoying.

But....I just don't feel motivated this year. It's like I no longer care whether or not I do well, just as long as I pass. I want to care, I just meh...

JacksonsMom

SO STRESSED.

This algebra class WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME. I just... ugh, it makes me so mad. I have to be eligible for College Algebra in order to take Anatomy and Physiology next semester. Annndd my financial aid could be in trouble if I don't pass this class (I don't know, supposedly there's no guarantee answer, but it could be in danger?).

SO if I don't pass this MAT012 (noncredit) that I am in now, I'll be held up yet again next semester by not being able to take A&P until I pass mat012.

I actually GOT this past chapter too, and then I get the tests and just... blank out, or they're totally different than the practice problems. I. hate. math and my non-math brain.

xpaeanx

SO STRESSED.

This algebra class WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME. I just... ugh, it makes me so mad. I have to be eligible for College Algebra in order to take Anatomy and Physiology next semester. Annndd my financial aid could be in trouble if I don't pass this class (I don't know, supposedly there's no guarantee answer, but it could be in danger?).

SO if I don't pass this MAT012 (noncredit) that I am in now, I'll be held up yet again next semester by not being able to take A&P until I pass mat012.

I actually GOT this past chapter too, and then I get the tests and just... blank out, or they're totally different than the practice problems. I. hate. math and my non-math brain.
Most schools offer free math tutoring. Ask your teacher about it.

And for financial aid you are only allowed a certain percentage of your overall credits to be below a C I think. It's a pretty small percentage too I think so that's probably what they're talking about.

But seriously, talk to your teacher. If you're at a smaller school I've found that the teachers will usually bend over backwards to help you. If a large university... Just find the free tutoring.

meepitsmeagan

Feeling a total lack of motivation this evening. I have a scientific article to read and write an abstract on, finish about 20 questions of chapter homework, and read 40 pages for tomorrow.

It's 12:30. Yeah, going super well.

Members online

No members online now.