Pit Boss

Miakoda

He also advocates the stealing of people's pit bulls if it is deemed warranted by him and his cronies and anyone doing the stealing. I.e. dog on a chain? Should be stolen (aka "rescued") and given to someone who would really love it (never mind the dog was only out there for 30 minutes...)

He's a scamming piece of scum, and he's doing just as much damage to the dogs and their reputation as some no-good gang-banging thug.

Barbara!

He also advocates the stealing of people's pit bulls if it is deemed warranted by him and his cronies and anyone doing the stealing. I.e. dog on a chain? Should be stolen (aka "rescued") and given to someone who would really love it (never mind the dog was only out there for 30 minutes...)

He's a scamming piece of scum, and he's doing just as much damage to the dogs and their reputation as some no-good gang-banging thug.
Totally... I hate when the reality TV shows go through yards and are like "Oh god, chains, chain oh god.." like their existence alone means there is an abusive situation going on.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
It just makes me mad that Cesar, Shorty, and Tia are what's been come up with the be the pinnacle of pit bull ownership. No wonder we are screwed.

I don't care for the show. I think it is stupid and the talent part really has nothing to do with animals and shouldn't be on AP.

I did meet him at a dog event I went too. His dog was loose- not leashed and so was another dog of someone with him in a super crowded place with wall to wall people and dogs.

Casper wasn't too fond of Hercules. So we avoided them.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
There is no certification or registry. In order to have a service dog, however, you need to have a documented disability and the dog needs to perform tasks which help mitigate that disability. In some situations, such as flying in a plane, or living in no-pets housing, a doctor's note is required.

The Department of Justice handles cases of fraud and it is illegal to claim your dog is a service dog, if it isn't.

There ARE laws regarding service dogs, just no national registry.

Service Dogs are legally defined as "dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities." It also says right in the ADA that "Service animals are working animals, not pets." How do you expect people to take your working dog seriously if you feed your dog table scraps and let him sit next to you at a restaurant? And how on earth do you not see how unsanitary it is for a dog to be seated at the table?

The dog also may not alter the environment that it is in. By sitting in a train seat or airlplane seat, the dog is taking that seat from someone else, and, because you are not allowed to charge people with disabilities extra because they requre a SD, that means lost revenue for the business. That is altering their environment.

For more information about SDs:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/

Just a note: Service Dogs do not have rights, the disabled handlers who require service dogs to help them lead a normal life do. The ADA was created to protect people with disabilities. Anyone who says something like "My dog has a right to be here," is either a faker or someone who doesn't know the law well. When someone handles their dog poorly, it threatens the rights of all of us who require service dogs. "Shorty" handles his dog poorly in public.

This message took 9 refreshes of reCaptcha to post.
For the record (although this may sound like a jab at kids & parents it is NOT, its just a comment based on observations I have made) I have seen kids do things at the table (pick their noses & other grosss things) that are much grosser then something any dog would do, & kids are also known walking germ factories wherist dogs are not. I would much rather a dog put their nose in my food then have a kids hand in it LOL (sorrry, but it is true).

Not saying its right for Shorty to do what hes doing, but I have also found the way some service dogs, esp the ones being trained by handlers to be given to someone a little off putting, they are seen more as tools then living beings with feelings. At least Hercules is loved & fulfilled & it seems they really have a ganuine love & a pretty cool relationship :)

crazedACD

While I don't like the show, and several things about the show and agree with you on that aspect... I have to respectfully disagree with the generalizations ;) unless of course I misunderstood your statement 'a man of his means'

I walk and train with several dogs that out weigh me, and are MUCH stronger than I am in size, but that's not to say I can't handle them. I believe I saw the episode your talking about, and I agree with you - if dogs get loose in their care they're obviously not under control... but I disagree with the generalization of little people having 'that breed' and I so think they have the breeds best interests at heart at the end of the day. And I do think the episodes are totally staged.
And also seniors or even children, I have an 80 woman who manages her dog much better than my 30 year old neighbor :rofl1: eeee gads :eek: and also the 4H children at our training center are just mind boggling with what they can do :D and one of them is around 6 I think :hail:

:D
Oh yeah I agree there are people of all walks that are capable. I do believe you should physically capable of handling your dog (with humane tools if necessary, prongs or head collars). I haven't watched many of the episodes but the ones I did see, they have difficulties even teaching the dogs basic manners. They are portrayed as finding/going out and getting these dogs off the street...the one girl seems scared of most of them and had problems putting a dog in a crate.

His 'service dog' looks fairly mild to me and I don't have a problem with that one. There was one episode where multiple dogs were galavanting in the backyard and playing rough and I didn't see how he would be able to stop a fight if something happened.

For the record (although this may sound like a jab at kids & parents it is NOT, its just a comment based on observations I have made) I have seen kids do things at the table (pick their noses & other grosss things) that are much grosser then something any dog would do, & kids are also known walking germ factories wherist dogs are not. I would much rather a dog put their nose in my food then have a kids hand in it LOL (sorrry, but it is true).

Not saying its right for Shorty to do what hes doing, but I have also found the way some service dogs, esp the ones being trained by handlers to be given to someone a little off putting, they are seen more as tools then living beings with feelings. At least Hercules is loved & fulfilled & it seems they really have a ganuine love & a pretty cool relationship :)
While working the dog is a tool, the dog should be trained to behave a certain way while in the harness, while out of harness they are pets. And since the handlers depend on the dog for their lives they are often treated better then most pets. If my dog dies I am sad, but I can still leave my house, if my friends who need their service dogs to function daily dies they are home bound unless someone can go with them.

As for kids, personally I don't want other people kids or pets near my food, I generally eat in adult only setting because I don't want to deal with other people's offspring. Difference is that kids are allowed in public places and dogs are not. I don't know anyone who is allergic to kids, I do however know people who are.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
This thread really makes me appreciate the amount of misinformation there is out there about service dogs and their handlers. It saddens me that, rather than do some research or ask questions, people assume and judge SDs and their handlers. This is why it is so important for SD handlers in the public eye to behave appropriately. It took 7 refreshes in reCaptcha to write this post and with that, I'm out of this thread. I have given you the resources to do your own research on the subject, so if you want to learn more about service dogs you can do it yourself.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
People that bring their pets to grocery stores and malls make me nuts as well, for the record, leave fluffy at home when you go to La Senza to buy bras, she doesn't care, take her when you are going to the pet store. It makes me wish I had Gage, 170lbs, with me so I could question why their little dog is allowed, lol.
I just don't understand the problem with people taking their dogs to buy bras. I mean, many stores (victoria secret, etc..) in the area are fine with leashed dogs or dogs in carriers. I dare say the dog owning world would be a bit better if people took the initiative and took their dogs out to get socialized .

I mean, obviously not grocery stores. But I don't think it's fair to tell people to "stick to pet stores" with their pets when companies allow pets in all kinds of stores where food IS NOT served, like clothing stores and malls. Who are you to say that dogs don't care? I know my dog would rather be out bra shopping with me than at home.

I love pet friendly places.. and I think those kind of policies should be encouraged frankly. It makes socializing easier and it's fun taking my dog when I go buy bras frankly lol
and I daresay if more people adopted the pet friendly way..we'd have a lot less people buying fake SD gear just to do it anyway.

This is from someone who is the midst of raising her SDit. The whole service dog handler thing with policing pet owners.. it gets old. Pets can't hear harnesses/vests! They shouldn't be allowed on public transport! They shouldn't be allowed in clothing stores! etc..etc..etc.. What companies determine as their pet policy is their business and where people bring their pets, short of illegal places, is their business. If it's not affecting you then WHO CARES?

As for the whole shorty SD issue. The only problem I have is that dog eating off of a plate, I believe there was a picture of the dog licking a fork or something. That is a health code violation for the restaurant frankly. Being a service dog (real or no) does not make it any less of a health code violation or the idea of dog saliva on silverware any less gross.

His show is a crock of sh*t IMO and I've only seen a few episodes. Obviously very fake and just..odd.

Should have clarified that our la Senza is in a mall, with an open food court.

I do agree that dogs should be allowed more places, but some places are not appropriate for pets, the vast majority of pet owners don't train their dogs, at all. I could bring Gage most anywhere and for the most part no one would know, except he is 170lbs and most people are afraid of him, and I do, we go to hardware stores, and pet stores and other places that are pet friendly. But I have seen, and death with, the messes that dogs make in stores, big or small, I don't want to step in pee because little fluffy had to go while her owner was looking for a dress.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Just a heads up, but, while not legally required, there are definitely "legit" service dog registries at the state level. NC has one - you can register your SD with the state if so desired and in exchange you get an official SD tag. One of my training clients wants to do this because it will give him yet another option if he runs into access issues.

And Fran, I do agree with you that it would be nice if more people took their dogs out and about, but in most cities and towns, dogs AREN'T allowed in most stores, food service or not.

In Upstate SC, they were only allowed in one home improvement store and pet supply places when I lived there. I did get special permission to bring Maggie into Hobby Lobby to try on bandanas since she was a therapy dog (and yes, I made sure I clarified that she was NOT a SD), but there's no way she would've been allowed in a bra store.

Here in NC, there is a little more pet friendliness (allowed at outdoor cafes for ex), but I still highly doubt pet dogs would be welcome most places. Heck, they aren't welcome in the post office or in banks here and there's no product out that could be damaged there!

JacksonsMom

I just don't understand the problem with people taking their dogs to buy bras. I mean, many stores (victoria secret, etc..) in the area are fine with leashed dogs or dogs in carriers. I dare say the dog owning world would be a bit better if people took the initiative and took their dogs out to get socialized .

I mean, obviously not grocery stores. But I don't think it's fair to tell people to "stick to pet stores" with their pets when companies allow pets in all kinds of stores where food IS NOT served, like clothing stores and malls. Who are you to say that dogs don't care? I know my dog would rather be out bra shopping with me than at home.

I love pet friendly places.. and I think those kind of policies should be encouraged frankly. It makes socializing easier and it's fun taking my dog when I go buy bras frankly lol
and I daresay if more people adopted the pet friendly way..we'd have a lot less people buying fake SD gear just to do it anyway.

This is from someone who is the midst of raising her SDit. The whole service dog handler thing with policing pet owners.. it gets old. Pets can't hear harnesses/vests! They shouldn't be allowed on public transport! They shouldn't be allowed in clothing stores! etc..etc..etc.. What companies determine as their pet policy is their business and where people bring their pets, short of illegal places, is their business. If it's not affecting you then WHO CARES?

As for the whole shorty SD issue. The only problem I have is that dog eating off of a plate, I believe there was a picture of the dog licking a fork or something. That is a health code violation for the restaurant frankly. Being a service dog (real or no) does not make it any less of a health code violation or the idea of dog saliva on silverware any less gross.

His show is a crock of sh*t IMO and I've only seen a few episodes. Obviously very fake and just..odd.
This! I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't purposely bring Jackson into a place that clearly states "no dogs allowed" or a grocery store, etc. If someone politely asked me to leave, I would oblige.

But I take him wherever I possibly can and always have and he's a better dog for it, IMO. He knows how to act in public and is always well behaved.

Luckily, Annapolis, MD area is pretty pet friendly. A few stores downtown have a no dogs sign, but most are cool with it. All the restaurants have outdoor seating where they're allowed. Actually, I think MD made a law that any place with an outdoor patio/deck area, a dog can be out there (unless, I guess the restaurant specifically states no animals permitted). I forget, but anyway, I was glad when MD made the law. And there is never any issues -- in the warmer months, I sometimes see at least one dog sitting outside of every restaurant... all behaving. I've seen some dogs in bags in the mall, but I'm pretty sure that's not really allowed, lol, but nobody ever says anything.

So I take him to downtown Annapolis, he goes into Home Depot with me whenever we go, pet stores obviously... and he's with me a lot so sometimes, I have to get things done, and don't want to bring him home, so I'll just go, hoping it works out. I had to get new tires put on my car, and it was freezing outside, so I stood inside the little store with him, all the mechanics loved him. He goes on vacation whenever he can. Nobody's ever actually told me "your dog can't be in here" yet.

I agree, I wouldn't feed my dog off a fork at a restaurant, but I do at home- LOL. Dog saliva doesn't gross me out any more than knowing 1000's of people have probably had their mouth on this fork that I'm using... I mean it gets washed. I do feed him from the table when we're out. Heck, I've even shared ice cream with him before, and let him take a lick. I guess I just don't get very grossed out easily. Meanwhile, I'm sure people are giving me the death glare, haha.

ANYWAY, since this thread got way off topic, I wasn't caring at all about his service dog. I'm talking about the show...

Are the dog rescues acted out? Like, they're not really doing the rescue when they're being filmed? It just seems too fake... and for Ronald and Seb being "actors", you'd think they'd be better at it. Ashley annoys the snot out of me.

I dont know anything about him or his show so cant comment on that.

But as far as him being too little to handle pits??? Really? Should people not ever have bigger dogs like danes or mastiffs? Horses are obviously a no too then right?

Barbara!

To be honest, I think there is a difference between a small statured person and a "little person". They have issues getting around as it is, and tend to be easy to knock off balance.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
The whole service dog handler thing with policing pet owners.. it gets old. Pets can't hear harnesses/vests! They shouldn't be allowed on public transport! They shouldn't be allowed in clothing stores! etc..etc..etc.. What companies determine as their pet policy is their business and where people bring their pets, short of illegal places, is their business. If it's not affecting you then WHO CARES?
THIS!! If the owners of the business don't care, then why should the SD owners? If the dogs are not being passed off as SD, then what is the big deal?

I love that the TC area has a group dedicated to letting people know where dogs can go in stores in the cities. A lot of the places are like cell phone stores and the like, and that's awesome! Means I am way more likely to go into those businesses because I can bring a dog. Well, not that Frodo would go to non-pet store places, but Siri sure will be dragged along!

http://www.sidewalkdog.com/

In Upstate SC, they were only allowed in one home improvement store and pet supply places when I lived there. I did get special permission to bring Maggie into Hobby Lobby to try on bandanas since she was a therapy dog (and yes, I made sure I clarified that she was NOT a SD), but there's no way she would've been allowed in a bra store.

Here in NC, there is a little more pet friendliness (allowed at outdoor cafes for ex), but I still highly doubt pet dogs would be welcome most places. Heck, they aren't welcome in the post office or in banks here and there's no product out that could be damaged there!
Dogs are allowed in TD Bank branches. One of the reasons I have kept them. Mine also go in work with me when I pick up checks or whatever, I just don't go near the back of the store. We also have outdoor cafes where they are welcome. HD and Lowe's both say no pets but there are dogs all over the place. I asked before bringing mine in, Darla rides in the cart, Skidz stays to my left and with the cart, between the wheel base in back. Tractor Supply is also a great store to get them around machinery and strange smells.

Careful with that or you end up with a dog that has cardboard box phobia (stack of full moving boxes toppled over and squished her at 6 months. Took a bit to dig her out so now boxes are ebil) and is not afraid of power tools and will get right in the middle of a project.

Members online

No members online now.