Portable Crate

Locke

If Smiley stays, I really want to get a more portable crate because one I have now is a huge wire one that is a pain to move anywhere, takes up SO much space and does not fit in the car. I don't have my own car, so I borrow my parent's car when I do need to drive somewhere, so having one house crate and another in the car is not an option...plus, crates are expensive!

So, I am looking for a portable crate that will fit in the backseat of a sedan.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm finding it difficult to find soft sided crates that are big enough for him.
He's about 20 tall and 22 long.

Thanks!

Saeleofu

I have one from BigLots that tends to collapse when the dogs move. It sort of sucks.

I had one from Target that was basically like a tent, you had to put poles together. No folding, just disassembling.

My favorite portable crate right now is Logan's gym crate. It's a pop-up one from Target, and it fold up to fit in my gym bag. I LOVE it. Of course it's not sturdy, it's really just a formality, so it depends on how your dog is in the crate. I had the same type of crate for Tango for a while, but he quickly learned how to make it move - both at home and in the car!

BostonBanker

I have a Noz2Noz for Meg, which isn't cheap but is incredibly well made for a soft crate. Having said that - it pretty much doesn't get used anymore. I noticed that when it was set up next to Gusto's wire crate (he is NOT to be trusted in a soft crate), she was always running to get in his crate. I think the ventilation is so much better maybe? I'm not sure. But I wound up getting her another wire crate (iCrates, I think?) and she seems so happy with it.

If you were looking for soft though, I recommend the Noz2Noz very highly. Meg's got dragged all over the place for agility trials, indoors and out, and had stuff piled all over it, and still is solid probably five years later.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Lots of people in the agility club here get the soft crates from Costco, you should be able to find them online and they'll ship them to your nearest store for free. They're very well made.

Locke

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll check to see if they have any at Costco to see what they feel like. I never thought to look there!

The Noz2Noz sounds great, more than I wanted to spend, but if it's held up 5 years, it sounds worth it.

I might end up getting a Vari kennel, but the size we tried at the store was just a bit on the small side, and the next size up was quite a bit larger. I'll keep looking though.

MicksMom

...The Noz2Noz sounds great, more than I wanted to spend, but if it's held up 5 years, it sounds worth it...
I love our N2N. They can be a little stiff setting up the first couple of times. Mine "broke in" kind of quickly, tho.

...I might end up getting a Vari kennel, but the size we tried at the store was just a bit on the small side, and the next size up was quite a bit larger. I'll keep looking though.
I had the same problem with our VK with Mick. The 400 was a smidge too small for him, but the 500 was way too big. I opted for the 400 because there was less room for him to bounce around if we had an accident.

Locke

well, I ended up buying a Kong brand plastic crate. The dimensions were just what I was looking for, and it fits in the car, and I think it will be better for Smiley in the long run. He would probably scratch and chew through a soft crate.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have an old wire crate that I use in my Van for Kris as it is big enough but I am on the lookout for a better one. I have a big airline crate I use in the house that is a great size but has the flimsiest door on it. A few times she has pawed at it and gotten out during the night. Why they would make such a big crate then put a door on it that is not even half as strong as on my little crates, I do not know. I got it for free from a friend so not complaining but wish I could figure out how to make the door more secure on it.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I like N2N in theory. I know loads of people that use them and they are great. However both my dogs can escape them in relative ease even if you latch it shut. I was very close to buying one but am glad I didn't after borrowing one of my trainer's for both dogs in nosework. Summer absolutely never gets in trouble or escapes... Except for the soft crates. I can't count the times I've left Summer in the crate in the building to go watch the other dogs work and I come back to Summer running loose inside and the crate unzipped (top or side door).

I use wire crates. I have one from petco and one from petsmart and the petco one is much sturdier. Mia can open the petsmart one in no time flat so Summer has to use that one. For some reason I thought they'd be the same but the latches are totally different.

The one i picked up has clips attached that you use to clip the zipper pulls to so they cant be scratched open. Diesel does the same thing, and then when i clipped the mesh exercise pen shut he figured out that the bottom wasnt attached and lifted it up, LOL.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This one has a clip on the front but not the top opening. It's also used so I am not sure if it broke off or if they just don have a clip on the top? The pictures I looked up look like they don't.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
When Izzie was escaping out of the top of her soft kennel on a trip last year, I ended up tying the zippers on the top together with a poop bag (I imagine a zip tie would also work)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I used to zip tie my old pop up crate so they couldn't undo it. But that thing was so lightweight and cheap that they could roll I end over end like a hamster ball. Then Mia chewed through it.

I definitely think tying the top would work but just be aware if you get one that dogs can escape through the top opening. I'm glad I'm not be only one with issues keeping dogs in those things. Most my friends' dogs stay in them, even the really crazy ones!

MicksMom

This one has a clip on the front but not the top opening. It's also used so I am not sure if it broke off or if they just don have a clip on the top? The pictures I looked up look like they don't.
No clip on the top. But it's easy enough to put a small snap through both zipper tabs.

Members online

No members online now.