Thinking of writing a book

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, so I figure it's about time I start using this English/Creative Writing degree that I've gone deeply into debt to get and thought I'd combine it with my other love, which is, of course, dogs.

We all know how there are a million breed and training books and puppies for dummies books out there already. But, isn't there something missing in each of those? Isn't there always something more you wish they included? Well, I'm here to say that I will do the 'hard' part of organizing and writing the book we all wish we had with our first (and second and third) dogs and such if I can get the combined wisdom and help of the Chaz people. I'd like to do a big fat section on each of these:

Nutrition (Mordy, this means you!); comparing raw vs kibble and the various types of kibbles,
proper housetraining methods for puppies and older dogs
adopting vs. breeder dogs,
common myths or misconceptions about the more popular breeds
Things Every Dog Owner Has To Know
basic commands
crate training
Picking a vet
Possible: benefits of online dog groups. ;) and a list of the better/more popular ones

Please let me know if you think I've left out anything that should be included and if you'd be willing to help me! Everyone involved will get proper citation in the necessary chapter and a special spot on the acknowledgement page.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Also, do you think the market needs another book like this or would I just be a very small drop in an overfilled bucket?

I'm also thinking about calling it the TMI series (Too Much Information).

Richie12345

Ok, you do this, but you better put us in your "I want to thank:" list ;), jk

There is a bunch of books on breeds and the history of dogs, but not too many on how to take care of a dog, atleast from what I've seen

Richie12345

This sounds fun, I'm so excited for you. When are you planning to start gathering information?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Trying to start now...I'm furiously scribbling notes and sending PM's to a bunch of people asking if they'd lend their knowledge and stories. I've always found that I paid attention more if the book I was reading had a bunch of real-life examples along with the basic text.

Maybe I'll call it "The Chazhound Guide to Dogs". :)

Richie12345

Zoom said:
I've always found that I paid attention more if the book I was reading had a bunch of real-life examples along with the basic text.
Yeah, that sounds good.

Maybe I'll call it "The Chazhound Guide to Dogs". :)
That's not a bad idea :)

Irish

It seems to me that most of the books out there are very generalized in regards to training your dog. What if your book took specific problems that people have, which I've read about on this forum, and addressed them individually. For example, what if you had a chapter on - What to do if your dog is aggressive with other dogs, and another chapter on What do if your dog is overly aggressive when you hand it a treat or how to train your dog not to bark so much, etc. You could get info from other dog owners on the problems they've encountered with their dogs, and then write about how to fix those individual problems. Thats why this forum is so great, because you can be specific about whats going wrong and how to fix it. Just an idea, good luck!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Irish said:
It seems to me that most of the books out there are very generalized in regards to training your dog. What if your book took specific problems that people have, which I've read about on this forum, and addressed them individually. For example, what if you had a chapter on - What to do if your dog is aggressive with other dogs, and another chapter on What do if your dog is overly aggressive when you hand it a treat or how to train your dog not to bark so much, etc. You could get info from other dog owners on the problems they've encountered with their dogs, and then write about how to fix those individual problems. Thats why this forum is so great, because you can be specific about whats going wrong and how to fix it. Just an idea, good luck!
That's pretty much the idea and why I want to call it "Too Much Information: The Chazhound Guide to Dogs"

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
I like the title, lol:D Most training books say basically the same exact thing, the same methods, blah blah blah..... so I think yours would sell a lot. If you need any help, you know we're here for you! Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.