Your Dogs Name: Why You Chose The Dog Name You Did

I known as my doggy rolo because of her delicious chocolate and caramel shading. It suits her too because she is extremely lovely. These days, she is like our family member, all of my family member spend time with her.

youandme

I chose the name Mischief for my dog. As the name goes he is very mischievous and energetic throughout the day.

paws24

My dogs name is Chase. I guess this is quite a famous name for dogs. Just love to call him Chase. Its so appropriate for a dog.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I HATED Penn's name ..but I promised Garret if he got me a dog, he could name her. LOL

So, she was a W litter. Her registered name had to start with a W. I wanted something totally different but Garret chose Wishing Well and what do you throw in wishing wells? Pennies! So. Penny got her name aha not very exciting!

k9krazee

Ken & I were originally going to wait until spring 2013 or 2014 to get a dog.

So when I jumped the gun in the fall of 2012 and put in an application for stardog's foster, Cody, Ken wasn't exactly thrilled at first.

We had previously agreed that I could pick the dog and he got to name it.

I like the name Cody and wanted to keep it. When we started talking names Ken immediately came up with Crossbone (must of been something to do with our skull & crossbone paraphernalia and collection of Crosses) and it grew on me. His long name is Sir Cody Crossbone, that way we can introduce him in public as Cody or Crossbone, depending on the person.

Most of the time we call him Cross, Crosserton, Crossbonehead, Crosser Ts, etc.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I decided very early on, when I had chosen my kennel name, taht all my names were going to be from scifi/fantasy, video games, or anime

So far Iv had Sun and Shadow (Vanyel), V for Vendetta (V), Adiane the Elegant (Seirun), Hakkikt Pyanfar (Kitty), Mirage of Deceit (Atoli), Enkidu, Firestorm (Lavan/Phoenix)

my next pup will be Red Scorpion (Quistis) for a girl, and Cthulhu if boy, and somewhere Ill use Quetzalcoatl

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Kimma is the only one I've gotten to name, though I love and got lucky with Pentti and Bubbles - their names suit them quite well :)

With Kimma, I struggled for FOREVER to come up with a name. I was going the Mortal Kombat route for a bit, and wanted her name to be Sonya (as in Sonya Blade), then I was thinking of anime names (I really liked Saya from Blood+), but nothing stuck. While watching hockey one night (DH is a HUGE hockey, specifically Flyers, fan), somehow he thought of changing the -o to an -a in Kimmo Timonen's name, and that was it. Little did we know that Kimma actually translates to "little chick" or "little girl." Worked out quite nicely :)

For my next Finkies, I will be doing something similar - finding Finnish words/names with translations/meanings that suit their personalities, and going from there. I'm not creative enough to come up with long registered names either, so everything like that will be super straightforward.

jtaylor

pet name

Jack is my dogs, i named him cuz of my friends name and i consider jack as my best friend in whole world

paws24

My sweet little german spitz named Near, originally i took it from one character of the series I'm watching.. but since then she's always near me and wanted so much hugging and cuddle.

My chocolate lab is Savannah because I love the beauty and the history of the town and it sounded feminine.
My english shepherd is Paddy Bear. I wanted to name him for his old british isle roots, hence Paddy, but added the Bear to give it a masculine feel. He's Bear now.

My other dogs were Bell, Sassy, Sammy, Muffy, Mollypop and sweet Annie Fannie. We also had a bred pup we called Cuppa-tea. Our cats are Abby and Dark Kitty.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
We named our dog Chase Muttley after the Philadelphia Phillies 2nd baseman Chase Utley. Obviously we are huge Phillies fans!
Hey, welcome to the board. Go Phils! Of course, they aren't great this year, but I still watch and love to cheer for them.

Emily Rose - Emily comes from a dog that was on the first season of The Dog Whisperer. I don't know why I couldn't come up with a better name at the time but eh, whatever. I'm not a big fan of the name anymore but hey, she's eight years old. Can't change it now. Rose comes from the fact that her nose is rose colored and at the time she had rose ears.

Bayleigh Laine - Not really sure where this name came from. She was surrendered to the shelter as Angel but my cat's name is Angel so my boss pressured me to name her quickly. I blurted out Gremlin and for about three days that is what I called her. When she went from foster to mine, no one in my family liked Gremlin. So I changed it. Again, don't know where Bayleigh came from but I still really like the name. It fits her well. And Laine just went with it.

Blaizen's Jolly Roger (aka Pirate) - When I was in the sixth grade, I had to do a report on pirate flags. I learned that they were called jolly rogers and I promised at that time that that would be the name of my first show dog. I made good on that promise. My little man is ten months old now and even after all these years I'm still in love with his name. I was torn for a while about his call name. It was between Pirate and Roger but despite what all of my other animals names are, I don't really like human names for animals.

Oscar was found in a dumpster (at just under 5 weeks old). I brought him home and my other half said his name must be Oscar (as in Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street). I said that was horrible to say and I would think of a more appropriate name for this foster.

The rest is history...

Bigs was named because his head was enormous when he was a kitten. Clingy because he was like velcro when he was a kitten...if you held him close enough, good luck getting him unattached!

srghc8

My German Wirehaired Pointer was supposed to be Remy, but after I got her home that didn't fit. After trying a bunch of names she responded best to Greta, even though I didn't exactly like the name it did stick and fits her well. She also goes by Gret-Gret and Fuzzface.

My cane corso mix came with the name Mojo, but that didn't fit and he didn't respond to it. I was debating a name and settled on Rugaru after the supernatural creature, even though unlike rugarus of myth he is sweet and loving. He goes by Rug (pronounced Roog).

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
Nat was named after the Bob Marley song Natty Dreads.

Zellie is a "short" for Rapunzel.

I'm not sure where StiXxX's name came from. I wanted his name to be either Gremlin or Charles, but the SO just pulled StiXxX out of his arse. In fact, I think he actually spells it Sticks, but what fun is that?

Kaia came to me from the rescue as Dulcie, and as a female Rottie, she supposed to be Ada (short for adamantium), but it didn't fit her at all. Kaia wasn't even on a short list for her (which was actually about 5-7 predetermined names) but it just fits her.

Gunnar came to us from the shelter as Gunny, and when we started fostering him, we changed it to Gunnar. It fits; it stays.

Members online

No members online now.