We needs the vibes

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
We could use some vibes here... Miss Menchi may have kidney problems. We can not be sure at this point, but tests have been done and we are waiting...waiting sucks!

The story started with me getting a urine sample on Saturday morning due to the fact that Menchi had three accidents in the house in the space of 24 hours. I suspected a UTI as there were no other symptoms. She was feeling fine, playing, and eating. She was drinking normally.

The vet did in house tests (multistick). She had a high pH (to be expected with an infection), blood, a wee bit of protein, and some infectious material in the urine. No glucose...The vet sent out for culture and to have the outside lab also test the urine and in the meantime Menchi is on Baytril.

Today the vet contacted me to tell me that the outside lab got different results on their multistick test.... the pH was high, but the also got glucose and high protein. No blood.

So now we have to wait and see what the culture says...because sometimes with the pH being alkaline it can cause false positives on other parts of the testing >.<

If the outside labs protein result is accurate there is something wrong with Menchi's kidneys...this is concerning since Shar Pei can have a condition called amyloidosis and this can seriously damage kidneys and other organs...

So I am praying that my vet's results were the correct results and that the outside lab had some sort of hiccup in their testing...

We are waiting to see what the culture results are and if they are positive we are going to finish the antibiotic treatment and retest her urine again after she is over the UTI...

She has not had any accidents since starting the meds...and her specific gravity is normal.

I am soooo worried....

...if you read all of this you deserve candy!

BostonBanker

Crossing my fingers and toes that your vet's results are correct and that your girl will be back to normal with the antibiotics.

Taqroy

I scanned because I'm about to leave work but SUPER VIBES, the curly tails are NOT allowed to get sick. And ((((hugs)))) for you because I would be an anxious mess.

Grab

Do they use Idexx? Because we've had a ton of screwy results from them from time to time. Most recently a dog who has had long standing leukemia, coming back with perfectly normal CBC results. This is...not likely. Another sample was sent in and was in line with what the dog's bloodwork normally is. Not sure if their machines were screwy or if they looked at another dog's bloodwork mistakenly

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Do they use Idexx? Because we've had a ton of screwy results from them from time to time. Most recently a dog who has had long standing leukemia, coming back with perfectly normal CBC results. This is...not likely. Another sample was sent in and was in line with what the dog's bloodwork normally is. Not sure if their machines were screwy or if they looked at another dog's bloodwork mistakenly
Not sure what brand of multistix they are using at the outside lab...

I did look up about false positives though and like my vet mentioned high pH can lead to a false positive for protein.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Also many thanks for all the vibes and good thoughts...

It is the waiting for more information that is the worst.

Keep em coming...I will update as soon as we know more.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Sending vibes!

Glucose can have a false positive result if the strips were improperly stored.

Protein can show up as a false positive with highly alkaline urine (it overwhelms the buffer in the test strip), or even just leaving the urine on the test strip too long.(removes the buffer entirely).

With the discrepancies between your vets results and the labs results, it's entirely possible that the lab might have maybe had a new employee running the tests or something. Hoping your vets test was correct and the antibiotics work!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Vibes!! I am of the mind that the vet's results were probably the correct ones, but I can definitely understand the anxiety. Hopefully you'll hear back soon and it will be good news!

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
So I just spoke to the vet and the news was encouraging.

The culture results indicated some serious bacterial nastiness going on. She said they found proteus spp. Which is a pretty prolific and icky bacteria.

So we are continuing the antibiotics therapy and going to repeat a urinalysis when Menchi is finished with the meds.

Meanwhile Menchi is living her life with the usual zest and beating her brother joyfully to a pulp at least once a day :)

I will let you guys know what the results of the repeat tests are when we do them.

The well wishes and support from all of you means the world to us :)

Members online