Doggy Depression

SJTiger

My poor puppy has been depressed lately. I know that puppies need a lot of rest and play, but he is doing a lot more resting than usual. I call Tiger for his favorite treat and he just looks at me with this sad look on his face (then I get depressed). The vet said there seems to be nothing wrong with him physically.

Anybody got any ideas to get him out of his funk? :confused:

milos_mommy

Did you vet run a full panel of bloodwork? Or just do a quick physical?

Unless there's been a big change (a death, you've started a new job, you've begun a new training routine that isn't working, a major chance in weather causing a difference in the dog's outside time), it's very, very unusual for a puppy to act that way for a reason that isn't medical. You might want a second opinion from another vet, and make sure she's having a lot of positive interaction, exercise, and you're helping to build her confidence and reassure her.

SJTiger

He's around 5 months old. I should mention that we found on the street when he was around a month old. The vet did a quick physical and sent us on our way with no concrete answers. I'm getting a second opinion because I'm worried that this is an underlying health issue.

milos_mommy

He definitely needs more than a quick physical! A full panel of bloodwork might show what's going on. 4-5 months is when a puppy goes through a "fear period", but he shouldn't be uninterested in his favorite treats.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Ivy

I agree with getting a second opinion. I wouldn't have left the vet clininc until some bloodwork was taken. They pretty much robbed you of the vet fee.

SJTiger

Yeah, it's sad that they robbed someone of a fee that didn't really know any better because I'm a new owner. I'm taking him to another vet next week, so fingers crossed.

Members online

No members online now.