Need advice on Food and other things to treat yeast infection

Lady is almost 13, she has a history of allergies and itching and for the past couple of years I have occasionally seen her scooting that I suspected was not caused by worms. Now she has sores between her toes, and a couple of weeks ago a bad ear infection that did clear up with treatment for both yeast and bacteria. I can't seem to get rid of the infection between her toes, i have been treating with miconazole nitrate but she licks it off, Wrapping the feet worked for a while but now she chews the bandages off, and I don't think she should eat it. I have read that I should bathe her with fungicide shampoo which I will do. I have read many conflicting things on diet, I have a lot of raw meat available but don't know how to feed it and make sure she gets proper nutrition. Is there anyone out there knowledgeable in this field that could help her?

MicksMom

Try rinsing her feet off with raw/unprocessed apple cider vinegar & water. I would also do it every time she comes in from outside.

Try rinsing her feet off with raw/unprocessed apple cider vinegar & water. I would also do it every time she comes in from outside.
Ok, I will do it now, I don't have any raw vinegar, but I have vinegar until I next go the city, there is no grocery in our little town. Can I save the solution and use it a few times? Do I need to dry her feet after use?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Sounds like an allergy issue, either food or environmental.

If you can't stop her from licking and itching, the skin irritation and infection will keep coming back. And until you treat the source of her allergies, she'll keep itching and licking.

I'd honestly take her to the vet for some systemic medication amd potentially a topical steroid/antibiotic spray for the sores between her paw pads. Giving her an antihistamine (like Benadryl - a 1mg/lb dose) may help her not be as itchy in the meantime.

As for food, I'd be very hesitant to feed a raw diet when trying to figure out if she has food allergies. I wouldn't think you could balance it properly with so few ingredients without also providing an appropriate vitamin and mineral supplement. I'd be more inclined to try a food trial with either a hypoallergenic food or a limited ingredient diet with a novel protein and novel carb source.

Sounds like an allergy issue, either food or environmental.

If you can't stop her from licking and itching, the skin irritation and infection will keep coming back. And until you treat the source of her allergies, she'll keep itching and licking.

I'd honestly take her to the vet for some systemic medication amd potentially a topical steroid/antibiotic spray for the sores between her paw pads. Giving her an antihistamine (like Benadryl - a 1mg/lb dose) may help her not be as itchy in the meantime.

As for food, I'd be very hesitant to feed a raw diet when trying to figure out if she has food allergies. I wouldn't think you could balance it properly with so few ingredients without also providing an appropriate vitamin and mineral supplement. I'd be more inclined to try a food trial with either a hypoallergenic food or a limited ingredient diet with a novel protein and novel carb source.
Can you explain the limited ingredient diet, novel proteins and carbs? And would Pet tabs be an appropriate supplement for a meat diet?

Barb04

Super Moderator
Mine do better on TOTW Pacific Stream with the allergies as well as 4Health grain free duck & potato.

My friend tried all kinds of food and finally found Natural Balance limited ingredient diet Venison & Sweet Potato which has taken care of allergies.

Another friend uses Wellness Core.

Mine do better on TOTW Pacific Stream with the allergies as well as 4Health grain free duck & potato.

My friend tried all kinds of food and finally found Natural Balance limited ingredient diet Venison & Sweet Potato which has taken care of allergies.

Another friend uses Wellness Core.
Thanks, Barb04, I am going to check with my feed store today and see what they have along this line, if that doesn't work I'll have to try the pet stores in the city. I really need to get her on a better diet.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Can you explain the limited ingredient diet, novel proteins and carbs? And would Pet tabs be an appropriate supplement for a meat diet?
I'm not sure about an appropriate supplement, I'd ask a vet nutritionist.

As for limited ingredient, take a look at the food she's eating now. You'll want to find a food that doesn't have any of those ingredients and/or only has one or two similar items.

Look for a food that has a small ingredient list. California Natural or Natural Balance tends to be pretty good. Avoid a food like Blue Buffalo or other foods with a ton of ingredients.

Dogs CAN be allergic to things like potatoes, flaxseed, and rice. It isn't just corn, wheat, and soy. So pick a food with as few ingredients as possible so if the dog's allergies are still bad, or get worse, you can start selecting a food with different ingredients.

That is why hypoallergenic foods are so good for allergies - the food has been hydrolized so the body doesn't recognize the proteins as what it is "allergic" too and digests it normally without reacting.

Thank you all, I found some grain free in our little feed store, I am going to start with that and acidophalus until I can get to the city. The vet says the lesions between her toes are from grass seed, she is wrong, I have been checking their feet twice a day since before the seed started to fall, these happen from the inside out, and if a grass seed was popping out I would have seen at least some of them, she has 5 or 6 of these sores. The vinegar does seem to be helping but I don't think it's a permanent fix, but I have been treating her with it about 3 times a day and they do look better.

She seems to be doing a lot better today, I started switching to the new food last night. If anyone else has any input Lady and I will be most grateful.

Members online

No members online now.