Dont put your puppy in a cargo hold!!!

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
This rings a bell...Mollie had a rather interesting experience with this. She was being shipped with her little brother around the age of 3 weeks from Florida to California and was supposed to go in the cabin; however, there was no one traveling with her. The airline made a whopping mistake, and poor Mollie and her brother traveled in cargo. They got the full experience - forklift and all. Luckily, they were just fine and didn't even wet their crate once, it being a 7-11 hour flight. I was so proud of her! (In case anyone's wondering, her brother was being shipped to one of our friends.)
o_O? A three week old puppy should still be nursing from their mother and learning how to walk! What circumstances were these?

Saeleofu

This. Also, what airline took 3 week old pups?? The ones I've looked at, IIRC, had age limits...
Yup, all the ones I've seen have age minimums. AND they don't allow pets in-cabin unattended! If you want your dog in the cabin, someone has to fly with them.

Once again, I flew Logan from Washington to Kansas in cargo when he was a year old, and he was fine. Frontier was awesome about it.

Cargo Hold

I was told by a Lady who showed dogs to make sure you tell the stewardess to inform the pilot that their is a dog abourd. I think this is a necessity and prevents your dogs fate from resting on a forgetful worker

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Ok I have now traveled about 5 times with Merlin in cargo (once over 7 hour flight time) so here's just my 2 cents.

- Merlin was not traumatized in any way or medicated in any way. Get them used to the crate, drive around in the crate in the car, play loud music...they'll be fine.
Other than needing to pee and being tired, Merlin has never had a problem flying or even been crazy to get out of his kennel. Just stay calm.
- freeze some water halfway as deep as their dish (have TWO dishes on the crate door)
- Attach paperwork to crate on where your dog is going
- Stick some weewee pads down under bedding
- Bring babywipes/clorox wipes/paper towels in your carryon with you to clean any potential mess so you aren't loading a gross crate with you to your car/travel location

Alaska airlines and Delta will put a little ticket on your dogs kennel which a flight attendant will give you when you sit down to prove your dog is on the plane. I also reminded attendants of this.

I have had great experiences flying with him, overall..especially with staff who assured me that it is climate controlled and safe down there. Plus just with his behavior, I know he isn't traumatized. He still hops in his crate at check-in ready for his peanut butter kong

justin001

This is really a harrasment to those pets. This is really hard for them as they cannot approach some by themselves and share their feelings about how they are feeling

I've flown 3 different pups via cargo and all were perfectly fine.

Each was 8wks old and honestly, not a single one wet/defecated in their crate. All came out of their crate tugging and just happy as can be.

Members online

No members online now.