How to get them to play more

I think this question was once asked before, but I would like to know that what do you guys do when a dog is not as playful as we want them to be?

Maxy24

Well it sort of depends on why they're not playing. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding what they like. Not all dogs like tug or fetch but might enjoy playing chase, roughhousing, or chasing a lure on a flirt pole. Or you're not playing the way they like. A lot of people can't get my dog to play tug with them for an extended period because they continually yank the tug out of his mouth and he doesn't like "losing" over and over. With me we can have a nice long game because I pull gently. Some dogs need their person to be very animated and physical while some dogs hate that. So it can just be a matter of knowing what your dog likes.
Then there are some dogs that don't know how to play, especially if they were neglected when young so never had any toys or anyone who played with them while they were at their most playful age. My friend has two pet store dogs that were purchased as older puppies, close to a year old, and neither of them know how to play with toys. I have never personally experienced this but do know people have luck teaching them how to play again.
Some dogs don't play if they don't feel well, a lot of people who have very overweight pets that go on diets comment on how much more playful their dogs become once the weight is off. So any sort of discomfort or conditions that cause fatigue could make a dog not want to play so much.
Then there are just some dogs that are not that playful, it's their temperament. Personally I wouldn't force the issue. Find something the dog does enjoy and do more of that.

What Maxy said but also to encourage dogs to play with their, like wrestle or tug, I've seen a lot of people say to get on the ground with the dog and do playbows, smack your hands on the floor next to you, and growl at them a little. Sounds silly but that's what I did to get Wilson to play with me instead of just wanting me to throw his toy all the time. Also smacking and shoving them around (gently) while making growly noises works for some dogs. Wilson loves this, but if I were to do that with Sam he would think I'm trying to hurt him so I wouldn't recommend it unless you know your dog pretty well, it could potentially traumatize them.

eta: Just be warned if you're trying to roughhouse with your dog that depending on the dog you might get clawed and bit at first until they learn that humans don't have fur protecting their skin :p

Last edited:
I was not the one directly with this issue, but my friend is and I wanted to find a good way to explain it to her, so thank you! Both of you!

My Bouv puppy (15 months) is not very playful, especially for such a young dog. It's what I was expecting though, given the breed.

I have found that he LOVES when I (gently) smack and push him around with 1 hand while gently tugging with the other. He loves getting physical. Loves when I growl at him, while down low (i always play tug bending down low, or on my knees). He'll chase a ball once or twice, forget about bringing it back. Loves to chase a flirt pole. Doesn't really play with toys on his own much. Occasionally will gallop around the yard with his plastic plant bucket in his mouth.

His most favorite thing to do is chase other dogs :yikes: Which is great if he comes across another dog that loves to be chased. He even occasionally gets to be the one being chased, but he's pretty slow so that doesn't last long. LOL!

DanL

We once had a retriever/shepherd mix that didn't like to play ball at all. It was baffling. She liked to play with the cat and when we got our Pug, she liked to play with him too. When we got Gunnar he was so into playing ball it was a completely new experience for us. Bruzer the Pug was never really a player either. He liked to do tug, but would never chase a ball. His idea of playing is sitting at your feet getting a belly rub!

StompinT that Bouv is a herder- it should like doing something! Is it a show line dog? Unfortunately the show breeders breed down a lot of the traits that make a breed what it is. My friend used to have 2 working line Bouvs that were high energy, pretty nasty dogs. Lean and mean, old school farm dogs that he imported from Holland.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
After much persistence on my part, I was finally able to teach Lincoln fetch, he LOVES chasing the ball ... just not bringing it back LOL ... I FINALLY got through to him that if he brought it back, he could chase it AGAIN ... and again etc LOL.

Members online

No members online now.