Collar or harnesses?

I feel like this discussion has been around for a long time now. Debating if collars are better than harnesses or the other way around. I am curious what you guys think about this topic?

Maxy24

Doesn't really matter unless your dog has some sort of issue requiring one or the other (collapsing trachea for instance). I personally prefer harnesses for walking because I do tend to drag him away from stuff on occasion (whether it be a spot he won't stop sniffing or some dog in the distance he's fixated on) and I don't like dragging a dog by their throat. I also feel I have better control of him if he does have a reaction to a dog since I have him by his whole body and I feel like it's harder to slip out of (or at least would take him longer giving me time to grab him).

Tucker wears a collar when he's taken out in the yard because it's quicker to get on (we have no fence) and has always worn a harness on walks. As a result he believes he can pull on a collar but not on a harness as I've always required no pulling on walks but don't care in the yard.

I like collars unless I *want* the dog to pull, in which case I prefer harnesses. The reason I prefer collars is because I feel like I have more control of the dog and am able to communicate better with them.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't really care one way or the other. I think if your dog is pulling a lot you should probably use something other than a flat collar, but beyond that whatever. I go back and forth with what I use (except for Sawyer, he's always in a harness).

milos_mommy

I tend to prefer a collar, but will sometimes use a harness if the dog is prone to collar slipping, has a very large neck, or is sensitive on his neck/throat. I'd also recommend one to anyone with a small or delicate dog if the owner has a habit of jerking or pulling back on the leash, although mostly I think there's no reason for tiny dogs to not wear a collar with proper leash handling.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I prefer a collar. For whatever reason, harnesses always make me feel like I don't have control of the dogs. Maybe it's because most of the large dogs that I know that use harnesses are pulling, psycho, whirlwind dogs and you just kind of go along for the ride with a harness whereas with a collar I can get them to calm the heck down.

I think the only time I've used a harness was on a small dog/puppy.

amberdyan

I like both, and really think it depends on the situation and what/how it's being used. If we're going on a suburban/downtown walk, Hugo is on a collar. He walks well, it's cute and why put something else on him. If we're hiking or out on a long line it's usually a harness, just in case he gives chase to something before I see it. I really don't want him throwing the weight of his body against his neck. If we're hiking off lead, just a collar.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I prefer harnesses in general just because I don't like pulling on their necks if I don't have to. I do collars for training and times when I can really focus on leash handling, and harnesses when I have more than one dog and can't be as careful.

I never, ever use a collar with my tiny dog because throat issues can be the result of a degenerative process that happens over time. I can't always 100% make sure there's never any pressure on the leash from either of us and I don't need be worrying that every bit of tension is another step toward a collapsed trachea.

I've had a couple of different vets recommend using harnesses for Brisbane due to his back issues. The idea is to pull from the middle of his spine rather than on one end I'm told.

Thank you for all the answers. I think i would lean more towards the harnesses too!

SpringerLover

For the most part my dogs have good leash manners but I live in an apt and like to use flexis for potty breaks. 99% of the time I attach a flexi to a sure fit harness because I don't want to encourage pulling on a collar. I also like that they aren't tripping over their leashes when it's attached on their back. 3 dogs on collars and I usually spend a good amount of time keeping it out from under their legs.

Bailey and Diego wear their harnesses from first potty to last most days and it just comes off overnight.

Harnesses on the Brittanys. Just easier to control them. As we were walking on the footpath one day a cat leapt from a wall right in front and started hissing, Scout lunged so hard I thought she was going to break her neck and she coughed for a week afterwards. There are some places we only walk Scout on lead (the collies will always be offlead if it is permitted) and I find a harness nicer for her as she can still wander around and sniff. She is only little so it doesn't matter if she pulls. Our Brit puppy will likely be the same.

Collars on the Border Collies. They do tracking and putting the harness on is a signal we are tracking and therefore pulling is good!

BostonBanker

Mine wear no-pull harnesses when my mother walks them, but otherwise, just collars. They don't pull on me, and particularly with Gusto, who has had some shoulder and elbow issues, I don't like having anything that restricts their movement on them if I don't need to.

Members online

No members online now.