Border Staffy, Border Jack, or Jack Russel?

Lunamoth

Hi all, I'm looking to welcome home a new pup within the next few years - preferably between Aug 2016 and 2017, but I'm willing to wait for the right puppy! I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on a breed.

I'm looking for an affectionate dog, one that wants to sleep with me and comes to me for cuddles. I want a high drive, moderate energy, handler focused, toy driven dog that is easy to motivate. That said, the dog needs to have an "off" switch as it would be left alone for a few hours at a time and would need to be confident as we live in a city. The dog would do agility, not sure about flyball (probably not) as well as long distance trail running, hopefully frisbee, and tons of trick training and adventures.

I love the size of the JRT and that they're so easy to travel with, and their energy and tenacity in a small package! My concern is that they might be difficult to motivate. I love the size of the Border Jack and that they counter the neuroticism of the JRT with the biddability of the BC. Border Staffies are seeming like my best bet, as they are drivey and confident, but might be more cuddly and easier to live with than anything mixed with JRT.

What do you think?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What about a rat terrier?

In my experience borderstaffies are REALLY high energy and intense, physically hard, very drivey. The ones I know and have met are easily as high energy as a very high energy BC but they have the staffy hardness of temperament. Very tenacious and pushy. Don't know any borderjacks. JRT seem to vary depending on breeding . There's a lot of pet bred ones but the well bred ones are definitely all terrier.

Rat terriers are a bit softer and less 'terrier-y' than the other terrier breeds. The standards are a really good size and they can be very fast agility dogs. They are very trainable dogs.

Lunamoth

What about a rat terrier?

In my experience borderstaffies are REALLY high energy and intense, physically hard, very drivey. The ones I know and have met are easily as high energy as a very high energy BC but they have the staffy hardness of temperament. Very tenacious and pushy. Don't know any borderjacks. JRT seem to vary depending on breeding . There's a lot of pet bred ones but the well bred ones are definitely all terrier.

Rat terriers are a bit softer and less 'terrier-y' than the other terrier breeds. The standards are a really good size and they can be very fast agility dogs. They are very trainable dogs.
Thanks so much for your response, and as a side note, Hank is SUPER cute, is he a mix?

I love the pushiness and energy of my BC girl, but she's very sensitive. I want a harder dog than most BCs I've been around, and I also want a more physical dog than most herders. Do the BSs you know have the ability to settle/are they even taught to? Do you think it's unreasonable to get a BS and not do flyball with it?

I've thought about rat terriers, and they're definitely in the back of my mind, but I'd prefer a medium sized dog I think right now.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah Hank's a mix. Sadly because if he was a breed I'd get another! Supposedly he's a cattle dog x terrier (DNA test said heeler x chihuahua but everyone thinks rat terrier)

I do know a few border staffies that only do agility so I don't see why you'd have to do flyball. I am considering one down the road but I would not do flyball (just not my thing). Some of them settle and some don't. The one I know best doesn't so well. He's also very very loud (screams) when in drive. He's great but just a lot. There's a couple people on the board that actually have borderstaffs so hopefully they'll chime in!

There are some fun mini aussies out there too but you have to be picky. I'm in class with two who are just so much fun.

Rat terriers do come in quite a few size options. The standards are roughly Hank-sized (20-25 lbs) and there are Deckers that are even bigger. I know a few via agility and they can be fun dogs. I'm not sure they're for me but they're fun.

BostonBanker

I've thought about rat terriers, and they're definitely in the back of my mind, but I'd prefer a medium sized dog I think right now.
Decker rat terriers! I actually know nothing about them, but I know we have at least one member here that has one in her family, and I find them really appealing physically. If I were looking to go terrier, they would be something I'd certainly look into more.

The border staff/jacks/stacks I've known through agility are very cool. To be fair, I've only "watched" one grow up (a border staff); the others I know were already competing adults when I met them. I've never known one that wasn't owned by a sport person, but I do know a couple that do just agility and not flyball. The people I know with adult ones generally tell me that they do settle in the house, but it is very much a trained skill. I know one person who proclaimed to anyone who asked that her borderjack was more dog than her Malinois.

One of the things that has surprised me is how incredibly...unforgiving, I guess, they seem to be in training. Part of the appeal to me, as it sounds like for you, is that I figured after years of working with soft dogs, a harder tempered dog would be a delightful change. But instead of getting slow or worried when the handler miscues or the dog doesn't understand something, they seem to either spin, scream at the handler, or use their teeth - and I don't think that would be my preference. I sort of hoped "harder tempered dog" would just ignore my mistakes - apparently I am wrong!

milos_mommy

I don't know much about the other breeds, but a good JRT fits that requirement well. Mine (possible mix) and some that I know have been high VS moderate energy, especially as puppies, but can definitely settle in the house for a few hours a day with guidance. Plus, they can be tired out in a smaller (city) space than more medium sized dogs.

I've heard, although not firsthand, that the border crosses used for sports can be extremely intense, more so than people looking for an active pet or casual sports dog are looking for.

It's pretty rare I think a JRT will be a good fit for someone, but they do sound like exactly what you want.

ETA every JRT I've worked with has been extremely affectionate/cuddly, at least with family, and easily toy or food motivated...sometimes distractions can get in the way but teaching solid focus and finding something that trumps distractions (high value items) has never been difficult for me with the breed. And they do definitely want to please, even with a mind of their own. Not as handler oriented as a BC, sure, but not an extremely independent breed at all.

I think there are some other Borderstaffy threads that I've posted about my BS.

I did want to extend an offer to meet my BS since we both live in Oakland!

She has just started competing in USDAA agility (We train with Sharon at Frielance) and she'll be debuting in flyball next month.

Her name is Gnome is and she is a Corrie/Kimber puppy from Tempest in Arizona.

A good BorderJack is getting hard to find. and the lists are pretty long. :( I have a friend that has been casually looking for one for quite some time.

The Jack's Wild up in Reno has GREAT jacks and there are a couple down in the Bay Area as well.

Maybe even look into Parson Russell Terriers.

They have more leg than your regular Jack. I know many that do agility, fly ball, disc and everything in between.

I own 5. Mine are all VERY snuggly and cuddly, I sleep with one on my head every night. But when you wake up, they are ready to start their day. They hit the floor and are ready to go. But also they go out of their way for affection from you. When you want to rest and take a nap, most times they will curl up and nap with you.

They are very drivey. Mine have no problem with focus with the exception of one boy. He has a gnat in his brain. But he is the most athletic, fit dog I have ever seen in my life. My other dogs can do anything you want in minutes and I swear my bitch can read your mind.

Here is a well put together, very fit PRT.

This one is a complete athlete. He is extremely affectionate. He does everything 110%. He sleeps as hard as he plays.

All of mine are fine with long stretches at home alone.

Members online

No members online now.