About quoting and commenting messages

We had written about this in another thread but my friend thought that we would still create a new thread where we could ask/discuss about following things:

1) It has started to seem like you wouldn't like that we quote our messages. However, when we start writing messages my friend might have many things on her mind that she would like to say. Although my friend speaks english and she has also studied it, she doesn't always know how to explain things well enough in english and I can't always help her with it. She doesn't always know either how to explain the same things differently. Then it's easier for my friend to use the sentences we have already written.

This is only an example but if we normally did it this way:
My friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in.
Should we possibly do it this way instead?:
"My friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in."

Or are there better ideas if/when my friend doesn't know how to say the same things differently?

2) In another thread one of you was commenting the way we answer to other's comments. S/he told that one should always put his/her own comment under the quote.

However, my friend has sometimes done it this way if/when there hasn't been a good way to divide messages so that we could always be able to write under the quote:

So, my friend might have done it that way if/when she has wanted to comment certain parts of the message. It's because my friend thinks that it would look silly if we did it this way:

Sometimes my friend puts her comment between two quotes if two of the users are talking about same things. Those messages might be quite long.

Do you think that we would answer to other's comments in bizzare ways?

It is far less confusing for the person being quoted, if you respond to their quote underneath the quote.

Example:

This is the quote
This is the response to the quote.

It may also be easier if you said something like...

Friend Speaking: / Me Speaking:

when you are speaking for your friend, and then just type like you would in any other normal circumstance.

For example;

Friend Speaking: I would like to discuss training recommendations for how to train 'sit'.

Me Speaking: I would like to share photo's of my dog Hertta! Isn't she beautiful?

I also want to let you know that I, for one, appreciate that you're putting in the effort to be more easily understood.

It is far less confusing for the person being quoted, if you respond to their quote underneath the quote.

Example:

This is the response to the quote.
We tried to explain in the first message that my friend doesn't always find a suitable way to divide the messages so that we could always write under the quote. We put two pictures my friend uses to illustrate the ways we have often commented other's messages.

It may also be easier if you said something like...

Friend Speaking: / Me Speaking:

when you are speaking for your friend, and then just type like you would in any other normal circumstance.

For example;

Friend Speaking: I would like to discuss training recommendations for how to train 'sit'.

Me Speaking: I would like to share photo's of my dog Hertta! Isn't she beautiful?

I also want to let you know that I, for one, appreciate that you're putting in the effort to be more easily understood.
We have been trying to explain that my friend cannot write directly here because she doesn't know you yet. (We have started to write in your threads :)) My friend knows that many disable people are able to communicate in the ways as if they could tell those things by themselves even if they were not be able to speak. However, like we have tried to explain my friend is not able to communicate in those ways...

I understand that your friend isn't comfortable speaking that way, but that doesn't mean YOU can't.

YOU can take it upon yourself to differentiate in your responses between yourself talking, or your friend talking.

UNLESS ~ YOU and your friend are the exact same person.

I think the OP has made it pretty clear in multiple threads that the style of third person writing is not up for negotiation because of the nature of her friend's disability.

Honestly I think the most understandable thing to do would be just to copy and paste your previous writing rather than quoting it. For example, typing this:

As I said before, my friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in.

Rather than typing either of these:

As I said before, "my friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in."

As I said before,

My friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in.

It's just easier to understand in a conversational way. Does that make sense?

Dekka

Just try me..
Perhaps give your friend a name (doesn't have to be a real name) as its so odd to keep saying 'my friend'. In a regular conversation it would be rude to keep referring to someone so generically. I tell my son off for that lol. If its a friend you refer to more than once in a while they should have name.

Or just start saying "We were wondering" etc. Vs "My friend was wondering.."

I think the OP has made it pretty clear in multiple threads that the style of third person writing is not up for negotiation because of the nature of her friend's disability.

Honestly I think the most understandable thing to do would be just to copy and paste your previous writing rather than quoting it. For example, typing this:

As I said before, my friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in.

Rather than typing either of these:

As I said before, "my friend doesn't have actual special interests where she would concentrate only in one thing at the time. There are different kind of things she is interested in."....../

/.....It's just easier to understand in a conversational way. Does that make sense?
So, you are saying that we could just copy those parts of the messages my friend wants to refer to and that we wouldn't need to use these: " ".
She wants to add that when we started writing in this forum she didn't know that there would be also other ways to refer to our messages in addition to quoting.

I understand that your friend isn't comfortable speaking that way, but that doesn't mean YOU can't.

YOU can take it upon yourself to differentiate in your responses between yourself talking, or your friend talking.
What we have often written here, has usually been what my friend has wanted to say. Maybe we should have shown it somehow but haven't. :eek:

We asked also about this: My friend has sometimes done it this way if/when there hasn't been a good way to divide the messages, which may be quite long, so that we could have always been able to write under the quote:

So, my friend may have done it that way if/when she has wanted to comment certain parts of the message. It's because of this: If that message is long, the next part of the phrase/message may be about something else than the part my friend wants to comment. So, she thinks that it would look silly if we did it this way:

Sometimes my friend puts her comment between two quotes if two of the users are talking about same things. Those messages might be quite long.

Do you think that we would answer to other's comments in bizzare ways?

Perhaps give your friend a name (doesn't have to be a real name) as its so odd to keep saying 'my friend'.
That has been suggested also sometimes earlier. My friend herself hasn't decided anything yet. We can tell you as soon as she has.

Members online

No members online now.