Manual DSLR Users...

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I jumped straight into full manual, FG - the half manual-half auto stuff was way too confusing for me LOL.

Last edited:

JacksonsMom

This thread is so interesting! I bookmarked it. I am wanting to learn a lot more about my camera, as to be honest, I haven't done much except use auto or sports or portrait mode. I'm pretty happy with my photos (especially for basically putting in zero effort), but know I can do sooo much more and sooo much better! So I'm finally taking the plunge in learning how to use it in other ways. The Christmas pictures that I took of Jackson were using AV mode and it was the first time I ever messed with it, and I was much happier with how they turned out than previous pictures.

I've always wanted to do a 52 weeks photo-thingy, but I probably won't join any groups or anything, but I want to make a goal to take a photo of Jackson every week for 2013. I also love seeing Amanda's Izzie thread and photos!

But, I don't know how to do anything at all in manual so I was almost thinking straight M would be best so I would have to learn it all. I just do NOT know what I am doing! LOL
Just do it!

Seriously, I had no clue what I was doing when I put it on manual. At all. But I sat around outside for an afternoon fiddling around for a few hours and then just started changing things and playing around. It took awhile but doing it that way really really helped me.

FG167

Just do it!

Seriously, I had no clue what I was doing when I put it on manual. At all. But I sat around outside for an afternoon fiddling around for a few hours and then just started changing things and playing around. It took awhile but doing it that way really really helped me.
Do you bring your camera outside when it's below freezing? It's been mid-20's at my parents this whole week and I've been taking it outside...but, not sure that is ok long term - we are taking the pups to the park in a couple of hours and I was hoping to play with my settings.

If not today, my plan is to work on it inside for awhile and then when we get back to TN (and warmer weather), I will try some more outside.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Do you bring your camera outside when it's below freezing? It's been mid-20's at my parents this whole week and I've been taking it outside...but, not sure that is ok long term - we are taking the pups to the park in a couple of hours and I was hoping to play with my settings.

If not today, my plan is to work on it inside for awhile and then when we get back to TN (and warmer weather), I will try some more outside.
I do but I don't stay out for long... It's been -30C and its just too cold out for Iz and I so it's snapping a quick shot and going back inside! Lol!

I don't know if it's right, wrong, good or bad but I take mine out in below freezing weather. Just yesterday it was around 28 out and I was at the dog park for an hour and half or so

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I am very happy with some engagment photos I took today. Here are a few of my top favorites. All were taken in RAW with my Canon T1i and 18-55 kit lens

I seriously need a program to be able to edit RAW in.

Keechak, I love that last one with the branches, it's so adorable.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
On the subject of shooting below freezing: you should be fine unless it's SERIOUSLY below freezing. Back when I did weddings, most of them were in Chicago, and there were winter weddings where the photographers would try to shoot some outdoor shots and their camera would freeze up. Didn't do any damage to the camera, just made it unusable until it warmed up. I remember one in particular where the photographer and wedding party were all jumping back in the limo to warm up, get the camera warmed up again, then jumping back out for more photos, repeat a few times.
I would imagine repeatedly freezing your camera over a prolonged amount of time would be bad but it has to be pretty frickin' cold and for a good amount of time for that to happen IIRC.

FG167

I don't know if it's right, wrong, good or bad but I take mine out in below freezing weather. Just yesterday it was around 28 out and I was at the dog park for an hour and half or so
Ok, that's about what we have here (in MI). I took the dogs out again for another long hike (2 hours), and my camera was fine :D yay! I posted more pics from the second hike in my first thread (here), and I'm much happier with them today! But, I chucked the first hour entirely, still playing with settings.

I shot in RAW today, it was amazing.
The coat photos? My phone as being a turd and I couldn't see, heading that way now :)

I seriously need a program to be able to edit RAW in.
I love my Lightroom, love it! I played with Photoshop and I have done some editing/making of things in there but I just think for useability that LR is better, for me anyway!

I love my Lightroom, love it! I played with Photoshop and I have done some editing/making of things in there but I just think for useability that LR is better, for me anyway!
I had Elements a few years ago but then went and got a Mac. So, now nothing works. And I'm sad.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I vouch for Lightroom too. I love it and its very easy to use. If you're a student then definitely take advantage of their student discount, I got it for under $80.

kady05

I do most of my editing in Lightroom as well. I throw everything into CS5 afterward for any other tweaks I need to do.

And I didn't pay for either program... :D

I do most of my editing in Lightroom as well. I throw everything into CS5 afterward for any other tweaks I need to do.

And I didn't pay for either program... :D
Is that because you have a way to....liberate them from somewhere?

Members online

No members online now.